Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcourt123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Can anyone confirm whether I'll get a better HD picture when watching MLB.TV if I upgrade from an ATV2 to ATV3? I know ATV3 supports 1080p, but I'm wondering if MLB.TV supports 1080p through the ATV. Thanks.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
As of last year it was only 720p. If they've updated it to 1080p since then, they've kept quiet about it.

mrcourt123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
As of last year it was only 720p. If they've updated it to 1080p since then, they've kept quiet about it.

Are you aware of any on-line source that may answer my question? Also, was the ATV3 available throughout the full MLB season last year? If not, hopefully MLB/Apple were waiting to update it for the start of a new season.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Are you aware of any on-line source that may answer my question? Also, was the ATV3 available throughout the full MLB season last year? If not, hopefully MLB/Apple were waiting to update it for the start of a new season.

Unfortunately, no, but when somebody makes that kind of upgrade they usually like to brag about it a little, so if you can't find anything they probably haven't upgraded.

The Apple TV 3 came out March 7th of last year, so just before the season started. Even so, I doubt they'd upgrade everything to 1080p just for one device (Roku has had 1080p for much longer). All their online desktop streaming is 720p and I doubt any games are broadcast in anything higher than 720p.

720p is good enough for them to call it HD and until all cable companies/channels move to 1080p broadcasts 24/7 they probably won't bother streaming at any higher resolution.

After all, it's not like they'll add a ton of extra customers if they upgrade to 1080p. Their product appeals to baseball fans, not fans of 1080p content. Sure, it would be nice for the fans of both if they upgrade, but if somebody doesn't like baseball, they're not going to sign up just because it's 1080p.

Sorry to be so negative, but this is the reality (as far as I see it anyway). I really do hope I'm wrong. :)

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC

You may want to ask this question over at the MLB.tv support forum. They are pretty good at getting back to you on technical stuff: http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?folderId=10&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=ml-help01

But as far as I know, MLB.tv currently maxes out at 720p. We do know that the Apple TV 3 is capable of higher-quality streams, with Netflix SuperHD as an example, so theoretically they could make a higher bit-rate stream available on the ATV3, even if it remained at 720p.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I'm thinking about subscribing to the MLB.tv premium service. One of my students said he had a horrible experience with it.

Has anyone got anything to say about the service? Is it worth subscribing to?

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
I'm thinking about subscribing to the MLB.tv premium service. One of my students said he had a horrible experience with it.

Has anyone got anything to say about the service? Is it worth subscribing to?

the last season was horrible on apple tv especially when there were more games together. I think they don't enough bandwidth for all 12,000 devices that are on. Nfl gamepass is another planet for example.
on mac worked quite good tho... flash miracle:rolleyes:

Mongus

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
New York
I Have been using MLB.TV on an ATV2 for the last 2 seasons and I find it works great. Also the whole MLB.TV service from the laptop to the iPhone, ipad and then ATV is unbeatable if you want to follow an out of market team. I used the MLB Extra innings package for a few years before I switched to MLB.TV and find MLB.TV to be so much better the fact that you can chose witch brodcast to watch and you get audio if you want it on the phone or laptop makes it worth the money to me.

Enjoy

BuddyRich

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Mlb.tv

I find the video is good but the audio is horrible. Almost sounds like it is coming from a tin can. Really need to send a DD5.1 signal or at least use a higher bitrate for the audio portion.

The ios app is better in this regard for whatever reason when using headphones on the video or radio streams.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I Have been using MLB.TV on an ATV2 for the last 2 seasons and I find it works great. Also the whole MLB.TV service from the laptop to the iPhone, ipad and then ATV is unbeatable if you want to follow an out of market team. I used the MLB Extra innings package for a few years before I switched to MLB.TV and find MLB.TV to be so much better the fact that you can chose witch brodcast to watch and you get audio if you want it on the phone or laptop makes it worth the money to me.

Enjoy

Starting this year, you can now listen to the radio broadcasts of games on the Apple TV, as well.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
It works well on my Apple TV 3, I havent had any issues so far. HD becomes available Opening Day. I could give more detail then, but it looks better than stadard def now. :apple: I am a cord cutter and cant live without MLB.

heywally

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2013
Given that it's not working today at all today on my ATV3 -- others have the same problem -- I'd say that it was a big fail.

Given my iTunes > Apple TV > TV set issues -- which others also have -- I am now in the looking in another direction camp.

I should add that MLB.tv is looking into it - they don't know where the problem is.

It's working now. :0

Last edited:

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I am watching it right now on an ATV 3. Yanks vs RSox, the NESN feed. Everything looks great. I agree that audio lacks depth. I did have an initial problem accessing the game but I restarted the ATV and then it worked.

LessO2

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
I managed to purchase a monthly subscription last year, but now I want to purchase an annual subscription through iTunes.

Apple phone support said to buy it through the App, and it would be covered. But that's only for at-bat, the app. I'm trying to get MLB.TV premium through my iTunes account.

Can anyone help me, please?

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
You can purchase premium through the ATV app. I did. You just select the premium link then go to the MLB.tv web site and set up an account and link the app to the MLB.tv account.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks everyone for their thoughts on the service.

I pulled the trigger last night, signing up for the monthly service rather than annual so I could cancel if it was really bad.

So far so good. The video quality has been quite nice as I was watching the Rangers-Astros game, though there were some points where the video quality really went south for a minute or two. It was like watching primitive YouTube videos shot on a flip-phone camera or something!

Anyway, pretty happy so far and looking forward to the season!

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I am watching it right now on an ATV 3. Yanks vs RSox, the NESN feed. Everything looks great. I agree that audio lacks depth. I did have an initial problem accessing the game but I restarted the ATV and then it worked.

To be fair, the audio quality of the cable extra innings package sucked as well.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I watched most of the Oakland/Seattle game last night. Looked HD about 98% of the time

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
Thanks everyone for their thoughts on the service.

I pulled the trigger last night, signing up for the monthly service rather than annual so I could cancel if it was really bad.

So far so good. The video quality has been quite nice as I was watching the Rangers-Astros game, though there were some points where the video quality really went south for a minute or two. It was like watching primitive YouTube videos shot on a flip-phone camera or something!

Anyway, pretty happy so far and looking forward to the season!

There have been many that complained about that particular game, but it was most likely due to the possible perfect game. So many people changed feeds to that game at one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.