Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rufnek2kx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Hi All,

I have recently been given an ibook g3 to restore back to factory settings and had a question regarding the wireless connectivity of it. Most wifi networks that it will be used in are WPA2 protected however the wireless card (Airport Original) will only allow me to connect to a WPA protected network. I was wondering whether it was possible to change the card to Airport Extreme and whether this will allow me to connect to WPA2 networks? I have had a look at other threads and upgrades dont seem to be discussed much.

I appreciate that I can change the settings from the router to make it work but it will be a pain as the user will be travelling between locations and will constantly have to do this, so thus it is unfeasible.

Thanks,

Edit: Forgot to add, it is running on OS 10.4.11

Last edited:

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Yours won't take an Airport extreme card, but can get a wireless usb dongle. Just make sure it works with usb 1.1 'cause that iBook doesn't have usb 2.0.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Hi All,

I have recently been given an ibook g3 to restore back to factory settings and had a question regarding the wireless connectivity of it. Most wifi networks that it will be used in are WPA2 protected however the wireless card (Airport Original) will only allow me to connect to a WPA protected network. I was wondering whether it was possible to change the card to Airport Extreme and whether this will allow me to connect to WPA2 networks? I have had a look at other threads and upgrades dont seem to be discussed much.

I appreciate that I can change the settings from the router to make it work but it will be a pain as the user will be travelling between locations and will constantly have to do this, so thus it is unfeasible.

Thanks,

Edit: Forgot to add, it is running on OS 10.4.11

When APE crapped out on my iBook, I got a USB WiFi Signal Booster on eBay for $13. I've yet to go anywhere where I don't get a strong signal, much better than APE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.