Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Facebook expert needed

Facebook, facebook, facebook. Oh how it has become the bane of my life.

So I have someone who I cannot unfriend (politics, work etc) but I don't want seeing my wall updates and knowing what I am doing.

So I put this person on 'limited' profile to restrict them and then went on holiday and posted a picture on my wall, thinking they couldn't see it because they were now on limited profile. I even checked with the 'view your wall as this person' feature beforehand and everything seemed to be locked down.

Anyway I then got a "like" hit from this person on the photo I posted even though they weren't supposed to be able to see it!

What is going on? Did I do something wrong? Facebook's privacy settings are so opaque it is ridiculous. They change the layout of everything so frequently that I can never get used to where the settings are because they seem to be different every time I look for them.

Any one who knows fb really well out there, I could use some help in securing my activities for SURE from this person who I don't want to see any updates from me.
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
Facebook, facebook, facebook. Oh how it has become the bane of my life.

So I have someone who I cannot unfriend (politics, work etc) but I don't want seeing my wall updates and knowing what I am doing.

So I put this person on 'limited' profile to restrict them and then went on holiday and posted a picture on my wall, thinking they couldn't see it because they were now on limited profile. I even checked with the 'view your wall as this person' feature beforehand and everything seemed to be locked down.

Anyway I then got a "like" hit from this person on the photo I posted even though they weren't supposed to be able to see it!

What is going on? Did I do something wrong? Facebook's privacy settings are so opaque it is ridiculous. They change the layout of everything so frequently that I can never get used to where the settings are because they seem to be different every time I look for them.

Any one who knows fb really well out there, I could use some help in securing my activities for SURE from this person who I don't want to see any updates from me.
When you post there's a settings looking icon, or an icon of two figures. Click it and I think from there it says something look. Show status /photos except from ...
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Next time you post click on the gears below the textbook and hit custom and type there names. They cant see what you post.
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
kdum8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
When you post there's a settings looking icon, or an icon of two figures. Click it and I think from there it says something look. Show status /photos except from ...
Thanks.

Frankly it is confusing, although I see that fb have improved the privacy settings tab recently in an attempt to make it clearer.

See the first attachment, if I click on 'custom' under "who can see my stuff" I can exclude certain people from getting my updates. Will this prevent that person from getting anything from me?

I ask because the second attachment seems to suggest that even if I hide posts from my timeline they will still appear in the news feed. Is that my news feed or theirs?!


Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
Next time you post click on the gears below the textbook and hit custom and type there names. They cant see what you post.
Thanks. Do you have to do this every time or is there a way to always exclude that person?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	6
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	388049  
Attached Images
 
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!

Last edited by kdum8; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
Thanks.

Frankly it is confusing, although I see that fb have improved the privacy settings tab recently in an attempt to make it clearer.

See the first attachment, if I click on 'custom' under "who can see my stuff" I can exclude certain people from getting my updates. Will this prevent that person from getting anything from me?

I ask because the second attachment seems to suggest that even if I hide posts from my timeline they will still appear in the news feed. Is that my news feed or theirs?!


Thanks. Do you have to do this every time or is there a way to always exclude that person?

As long as before you post you're still on custom, you'll be okay.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expert opinions needed: What does the future of iPhone entail now that it's 64-bit? user-name-here iPhone 8 Sep 18, 2013 01:18 PM
Original iPhone Question (Super History Expert Needed) JKarnsy iPhone 3 Aug 19, 2013 05:33 PM
iPod expert needed, 3rd gen ipod Compatibility Question zkampyman iPod touch 4 Jul 30, 2013 06:00 AM
Expert help needed: Corporate security profiles and device restores? canvasback13 iPhone 0 Oct 2, 2012 06:18 PM
expert help needed: mail doesn't open links, games don't connect, YouTube can't load MNFL Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Jul 7, 2012 06:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC