Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Does anyone else have this phone? After playing with it for a day, I have to say that I am impressed. If you are on Verizon, this or the DNA are the only options.

I was really tempted by the DNA. I mean, who wants to get half the specs for $100 more? I think that the DNA is a more powerful computer but I got the Maxx HD because I thought it was a better phone overall. A dual core CPU is plenty snappy, it has jellybean, and a very minimal skin on top of it. It has a very solid feel to it as well. It feels like the build quality is up to Apple's standards. It has premium materials like kevlar and steel. The speaker is LOUD and clear. It has a nice notification light. It has 32gb of space and a MicroSD slot. It just seems like a very well balanced phone.

Oh yeah, and you can get 9-10 hours of onscreen time. It feels so nice to wake up, take it everywhere, and charge it when I go to bed. No wondering if it will die. No more charging 2 times a day. This was obviously the biggest reason to get it. It is a workhorse and will satisfy the most hardcore of users.

So does anyone else have on? Any questions? Do you hate me for not just getting the DNA haha?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-06-02-40-42.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-06-02-40-42.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 187

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
All I could think about while reading your post was: So... much... potential... for a Googorola Nexus.

Thumbs up for your choice.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I wish att would get a version of this phone. I love my s3, but the maxx HD is better for me because of the battery life

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Got it. Love it. Mine spends most of the day as a LTE hotspot, plenty of power to spare. :)

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
My wish is that Motorola and google release a nexus device like this, with lte, at a similar price point the the nexus 4. If that happens...I might be tempted to leave my i5.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
My wish is that Motorola and google release a nexus device like this, with lte, at a similar price point the the nexus 4. If that happens...I might be tempted to leave my i5.

Take a look at my screen shot. Very familiar isn't it? You can make it very close to stock Android. Coming from the g-nex, this was very important to me. The biggest downside is that the bootloader is locked. Not sure if it will have an exploit but I doubt it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-06-02-39-53.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-06-02-39-53.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 184

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I'm glad we have choices :).
Except that many of us are locked into 2 year contracts. So buying a Maxx HD is not possible for an AT&T customer (for example). I really hate those contracts, but since it's too expensive for me to buy an unlocked phone I cave in to the contract.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
A top notch phone for sure (call quality, minimally skinned Android experience, and insane battery life), but I'm just not a fan of AMOLED pentile screens (text just looks grainy compared to the top LCD displays - iPhone, One X, DNA, etc). This is more of an issue if you like to read a lot on your device, which I do. Also, the cameras on Moto smartphones have always been average at best and the Maxx HD is no exception. I'm hoping these two issues are resolved in the next-gen Maxx. I'll be all-in then. :)

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I returned my iPhone 5 for the maxx hd and very happy with it got tired of the same old iPhone theme.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
A top notch phone for sure (call quality, minimally skinned Android experience, and insane battery life), but I'm just not a fan of AMOLED pentile screens (text just looks grainy compared to the top LCD displays - iPhone, One X, DNA, etc). This is more of an issue if you like to read a lot on your device, which I do. Also, the cameras on Moto smartphones have always been average at best and the Maxx HD is no exception. I'm hoping these two issues are resolved in the next-gen Maxx. I'll be all-in then. :)

Pen tile is noticeable on the qhd screens like the original RAZR maxx, but on the 720p screens its really not a problem at all.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012

Pen tile is noticeable on the qhd screens like the original RAZR maxx, but on the 720p screens its really not a problem at all.

Seconded on this. I believe it is almost exactly the same as the Galaxy Nexus screen which was cutting edge when it came out and still looks good today. Also, having such a silly long battery means that I can have it much brighter than I did on the G-Nex.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
it's an incredible battery life, but it doens't offer anything spectacular aside from that.

Galaxy S III - brand new features, perfect screen size, memory card slot, the 2nd most capable smartphone and most feature-packed of any phone besides note 2
drawbacks: screen, S-voice SUCKS so I use google now and "assistant"

Galaxy Note 2 - same features as the S 3 and then some, lightweight, great screen size, most amazing smartphone, period
drawbacks: size

Droid DNA - best screen on a phone period and great screen size
drawbacks - no memory card slot, non-replaceable battery (and a small capacity as well) and only 16 gigs. Best DROID phone currently

Droid Razr Maxx - best battery on ANY PHONE!
Drawback - nothing special about it

the maxx is great for battery life though, you'll never have a problem.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The DNAs screen has completely blown me away. It trumps retina. you really have to experience it to believe it. The only draw backs to it I've seen is no sd card slot. 16gb is a bit low for a 1080p phone. The maxx is a great phone as well. It has an amazing battery, and while, nothing else about it really stands out, it's a solid phone that does everything well

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I almost got the droid razr maxx hd, but i started playing with the regular razr maxx and like it better. Even though the phones are about the same size, the smaller screen on the older maxx allows you to reacher almost anywhere with one hand. After playing with the old maxx and then playing with the maxx hd, I just couldn't reach a lot of corners and edges of the phone and felt I needed to use two hands for everything.

The old maxx was slow and has old software, the new maxx is too big and has too much bloatware.

So I ended up not getting either. The sad fact is that any of the other manufacturers could copy motorola and include a bigger battery and there would be nothing special about the droid razr maxx hd.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
.......The sad fact is that any of the other manufacturers could copy motorola and include a bigger battery and there would be nothing special about the droid razr maxx hd.

I own both iPhone and Maxx HD and completely disagree with you. Read a few reviews and you'll find although anything "could" happen the happy fact is almost every review finds no other manufacturer makes anything like the Maxx HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.