Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:39 AM   #1
gamecube117
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
So, the instore hype finally died off.

Went to the Apple store today, and of course there were tons of people inside (and there always is, whether there is a new release or not). The sales associate told me they have "full sets" in their stock and I went right after my shift ended at 6:00 PM. That's here in Toronto at our flagship store. I'm surprised it died so quickly - no line up and it's now hassle free to buy one from the store. No point coming in. I saw this guy walk in, went to the sales, said he wanted the iPad 3 64GB Wifi and he got one in less than one second.
gamecube117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:42 AM   #2
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecube117 View Post
Went to the Apple store today, and of course there were tons of people inside (and there always is, whether there is a new release or not). The sales associate told me they have "full sets" in their stock and I went right after my shift ended at 6:00 PM. That's here in Toronto at our flagship store. I'm surprised it died so quickly - no line up and it's now hassle free to buy one from the store. No point coming in. I saw this guy walk in, went to the sales, said he wanted the iPad 3 64GB Wifi and he got one in less than one second.
Two words: Pre-Orders
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:43 AM   #3
gamecube117
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Two words: Pre-Orders
True. But I guess from now on, there's no point for ordering online when you can easily walk in and pick up one easily.
gamecube117 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Identity Fraud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecube117 View Post
True. But I guess from now on, there's no point for ordering online when you can easily walk in and pick up one easily.
You could only due that because so many people preordered
Identity Fraud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:45 AM   #5
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecube117 View Post
True. But I guess from now on, there's no point for ordering online when you can easily walk in and pick up one easily.
But the only reason for this was pre-orders. I guarantee if they don't do pre-orders next year, then it'll be a pain to get one in stores for a long time. (Just like last year)
gmanist1000 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:47 AM   #6
gamecube117
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
But the only reason for this was pre-orders. I guarantee if they don't do pre-orders next year, then it'll be a pain to get one in stores for a long time. (Just like last year)
I guess they were prepared! I'm glad they had tons for pre-orders, because less than a week later I can just walk in and buy one right away. I'm not the person that needs the new gadget right the second it's released, I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks -- but a couple of days (like the new iPad) is even better!
gamecube117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
MadGoat
macrumors 65816
 
MadGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecube117 View Post
...said he wanted the iPad 3 64GB Wifi and he got one in less than one second.

Less than one second? I highly doubt your claim.
__________________
I have a computer and a cell phone
(Why do people list an inventory of their products?)
MadGoat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:05 AM   #8
Actual Size
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
Less than one second? I highly doubt your claim.
Stopwatch or it didn't happen.
__________________
13" MBA Ultimate (Oct. 2010)| Black iPhone 4s 32GB | iPod Nano 6g 8GB Red | White iPad 3g 32GB Wi-Fi
Actual Size is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:05 AM   #9
LanEvo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecube117 View Post
I guess they were prepared! I'm glad they had tons for pre-orders, because less than a week later I can just walk in and buy one right away. I'm not the person that needs the new gadget right the second it's released, I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks -- but a couple of days (like the new iPad) is even better!
Just that, many, maybe many more than just many pre-ordered and just decided to wait. And some peoples are already shipped out. And the ones who did not can find them in store. I mean, I did not even plan on getting one in Launch weekend thinking they were sold out, but behold, I got my 16GB on Saturday. They were just prepared, and I don't think there was much hype initially either b/c of the Pre-Orders.
__________________
Apple iPad 3rd Generation White - 32GB
Apple iPod Nano 6th Generation - 8GB
LanEvo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:25 AM   #10
smallnshort247
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Pre orders and in store pickups helped a lot.
__________________
http://www.apple.com
smallnshort247 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:36 AM   #11
zer0tails
macrumors 65816
 
zer0tails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
I had the same experience in Toronto. Walked into the Eaton Center on saturday and picked one up. I was really surprised since last year it took me weeks to get an ipad.

Apple handled this launch well. Let's hope it'll be the same for the iphone launch.
zer0tails is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
The bad economy plus lots of people own an iPad 2 and are probably trying to sell them before they buy the next one.

The world is over-saturated with computers.

The new iPad will be my first. I'm selling my white MacBook for it.
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:16 AM   #13
Macclone
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Two words: Pre-Orders
4 words - another pointless quantity thread.
Macclone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:21 AM   #14
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
The bad economy plus lots of people own an iPad 2 and are probably trying to sell them before they buy the next one.

The world is over-saturated with computers.

The new iPad will be my first. I'm selling my white MacBook for it.
It's arguable that the economy was even worse when the ipad 2 came out.
thetruth1985 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:22 AM   #15
Velin
macrumors 65816
 
Velin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hearst Castle
Anecdotal, but when I went to buy mine in So. Cal on a Monday afternoon, the iPad 3s were flying out the door. I bought two myself. Someone ahead of me, no exaggeration, bought four of them, and then a lot more people were buying after I got my two. Store was running low on all white models. They had black models in stock, wi-fi only was the big seller from what I saw.
Velin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:57 AM   #16
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth1985 View Post
It's arguable that the economy was even worse when the ipad 2 came out.
You don't see homeless middle-class people because adult children are living with their parents now. People are becoming even more frugal, but they're still trying to live happy lives … putting on their best face.
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:07 AM   #17
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Two words: Pre-Orders
Yep, Apple got the stock right this time too....I pre-ordred both ATV3 and the new iPad..both arrived on time on the 16th.

The fact that stores have stock is a good thing no?
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:34 AM   #18
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Yep, Apple got the stock right this time too....I pre-ordred both ATV3 and the new iPad..both arrived on time on the 16th.

The fact that stores have stock is a good thing no?
I'd say it's a great thing. Customers who want an iPad can just go buy one without having to wait.
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:50 AM   #19
WhoAmI2
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
4 words - another pointless quantity thread.
+1

OP, you're complaining that you didn't have to wait for your iPad? Some people will complain about ANYTHING!
WhoAmI2 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:10 AM   #20
Pressure
macrumors 68040
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denmark
Rememeber it launches in 24 more countries on friday the 23th of March.
__________________
Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Pressure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:58 AM   #21
deeddawg
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
The bad economy plus lots of people own an iPad 2 and are probably trying to sell them before they buy the next one.
Yes, that must be the reason for the biggest launch yet, with over three million units sold in under four days...
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Instore Stock? nanogirl21 iPad 6 Nov 18, 2013 08:18 PM
iPad Mini: (instore) Old Mini 1 pricing? TouchMint.com iPad 3 Oct 21, 2013 09:41 PM
Buying an iMac instore? Mach2001 iMac 3 Dec 17, 2012 09:11 AM
iphone 5 instore availability Andyguy65 iPhone 2 Sep 22, 2012 05:29 PM
Well...my old 8600M GT-equipped machine finally died... Quad 2.5 G5 =) Buying Tips and Advice 8 Aug 9, 2012 03:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC