Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816

Fusion Drive iMac Replacement?

Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of me being able to get Apple to replace my faulty Seagate drive with a Fusion drive? Would it even fit?

Of course I'd be willing to pay the extra. I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded with their recalled HDD or had more knowledge than I of the iMac's internal real estate.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:33 PM   #2
glitch44
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of me being able to get Apple to replace my faulty Seagate drive with a Fusion drive? Would it even fit?

Of course I'd be willing to pay the extra. I was just wondering if anyone has upgraded with their recalled HDD or had more knowledge than I of the iMac's internal real estate.
Most likely not. It's two separate drives and the SSD portion might even be soldered chips like in the Macbook Air. I doubt they'll be able or willing to do the install for you.
glitch44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

If history is any judge....absolutely not. You can purchase a Fusion drive though and request an AASP to install it, they won't do it at Apple's expense and an Apple Store will not do this upgrade either.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac