Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks, at least I could archive projects on SDXC cards and have easy access to them without filling up the SSD.

you might consider a "nifty minidrive" with a micro sd card. looks really neat. sorry am on mobile or I would have fetched you a link

with the memory card inserted it fits flush to the mbp body

Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
It's about 8.1% faster (CPU Benchmarks). $250 is about 8-12% of the cost, depending on configuration. I'd say no unless you do a lot of video rendering or benchmarks.

That's kind of irrelevant as hardware specs do not equal the entire cost of the computer. It's not worth it, IMO.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
It's not a great idea to keep vid files on your primary drive; we could assume TB or USB3 external.

who said anything about "keep"?

and we are talking about a speed increase that is a fraction of the cost of the cheapest TB hard drive.

also, why would you rely on an external drive's ability to maintain a connection if you are doing long renders? we aways render on the local HDD and then transfer to external for storage. you might as well be working with live files over a wifi connection to a remote server...

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
If it takes 60 minutes to encode a video on the 2.3 it will take about 53 minutes on the 2.6. Hardly worth the costs of the upgrade unless you need the disk space.
Encode speed is directly proportional to clock speed? I wouldn't have thought so judging by the geekbench numbers posted by paulrbeers.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
You will never settle this issue.

It will pop up over and over.

A year from now it will be "I'm glad I bought it" or "I wish I had".

Its so close you can only notice a difference when you are looking for a difference and you have something to compare it to.

If you want the fastest one its gonna cost ya $250

Elmoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
well kind of

If you really want to pay a little bit more you can get a higher starter SSD volume and a .1 GHz more ... But really I'm not sure its the wisest idea .

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
My Dad always told me "when it comes to cars, boats, planes, (and computers)" always buy the biggest engine available. You'll never wish you had gotten the smaller one".

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Preferred alternatives to the CPU bump:

1. AC
2. save it for the next computer purchase
3. RAM
4. HD

With most computer related purchases and especially Apple, I think buying/ selling sooner works better than trying to future-proof. Good luck!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
who said anything about "keep"?

and we are talking about a speed increase that is a fraction of the cost of the cheapest TB hard drive.

also, why would you rely on an external drive's ability to maintain a connection if you are doing long renders? we aways render on the local HDD and then transfer to external for storage. you might as well be working with live files over a wifi connection to a remote server...

The original poster was talking about a machine to last 5 years. Massive write and render ops is a sure way to burn an expensive SSD in a real hurry. A cheap USB3 external (or RAID0) would clearly be a good option for the obvious non-pro setup s/he is looking for.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
The original poster was talking about a machine to last 5 years. Massive write and render ops is a sure way to burn an expensive SSD in a real hurry. A cheap USB3 external (or RAID0) would clearly be a good option for the obvious non-pro setup s/he is looking for.

The whole SSD wearing out thing has been vastly overblown.

Jon P D

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Does anyone know the real world difference between 2.3 and 2.6 Ghz?

A staff member at the Apple store told me it was the same as going from 2.6 to 2.7

I didn't understand this because simple math says boosting it by 3 times as much doesn't make sense...but then again i am an idiot and am probably using simple math in the wrong place.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
It's more of a percentage thing. Going from 2.6 to 2.7 is just a 3% increase in speed. The most improvement you could ever get is 3%. And that's just in theory. Going from 2.3 to 2.6 is about 13%. Anything that is primarily CPU-limited will be about 13% faster on the 2.6. 3% is margin of error. 13% is 3 hours of a 24 hour video encoding or 3D rendering task.

Because the drive is an SSD, that will be more often than you might otherwise think. Traditionally, disk access was the #1 slow-down for a computer. Current SSDs don't change that, but they go a LONG way in correcting the problem. Not so much in sustained transfer speeds, which are obviously better (but only 3-6x faster, not 100x faster or more), but it is the random seek and physical disk operations that are basically no longer even relevant statistics that make the biggest difference. It used to take measurable time to look up a file on disk and spin the platters and align the heads to go and retrieve that stuff.

Most of your time was spent waiting on one of two things: The user, or the hard drive.

Jon P D

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
thanks, exactly what I needed to know

I guess i can justify paying 150 dollars or so for the speed boost of upgrading to 2.6 but another 500 dollars for 3% or so more, not worth it.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
It's more of a percentage thing. Going from 2.6 to 2.7 is just a 3% increase in speed. The most improvement you could ever get is 3%. And that's just in theory. Going from 2.3 to 2.6 is about 13%. Anything that is primarily CPU-limited will be about 13% faster on the 2.6. 3% is margin of error. 13% is 3 hours of a 24 hour video encoding or 3D rendering task.
This is inaccurate. It's not just a "percentage thing." The 2.7ghz i7 also increases the L3 cache from 6MB to 8MB. Is that going to drastically increase performance? Nope. But... it's more than a percentage increase in clock speed.

rkaneknight

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Anyone reading this. I would suggest spending the $250 difference on a OWC data doubler, OWC external drive bay for your DVD and a Samsung 830 256Gb SSD drive. Boot up on my early 2009 macbook is less than 20 seconds and shutdown is around 7 seconds. Not to mention any program you install on the 256Gb drive runs SOOOOO much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.