Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Does the Apple TV support multiple profiles like the iPad app for Netflix?

We have multiple profiles setup, one for the kids, and one for the adults. It avoids the weird questions when 'Breaking Bad' is recommended next to 'My Little Pony'.

If it can't, no big deal since I could still use AirPlay.

Thanks,
Dan

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
was about to say airplay doesn't work for netflix, but they seem to have enabled it at some point.
You will get a lower quality stream doing it over airplay though, as the aTV gets the HD stream.

i was going to try out profiles, but netflix seems to be having issues right now and i can't create one,

there is a kid section, but it's just a top level menu option.
so... once you select netflix you have
suggestions for you
recently watched
just for kids
instant queue

in the just for kids the options are... suggestions, characters and search.

so your kids could get to things they should't see, but if you're there, you can steer them away from them.

you can also selectively put a pin code on every main section of the aTV if you want, so the kids can open youtube freely, but need the password to open netflix.

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks. That's what I figured.

It's not so much that I am worried about them seeing something they shouldn't. It's more that I want to keep my recommendations and my instant queues clean. Their stuff doesn't show up in my recommendations, and vice versa.

Interesting that it behaves that way in the iPad app, yet not in the ATV app. I have a roku, and it doesn't have that capability either.

Thanks,
Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.