Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JessicaSideways

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Boulder, CO

Okay, so I am typing this at my local Apple Store... in QWERTY. Blegh.

I have to replace my mid-2010 MacBook Pro because it was stolen. So, I am here and looking at the 15" MacBook Pro Retina (the $2199 USD model, in case you were curious). So, I asked a sales clerk if they sold a version of the Retina with the keyboard in the Dvorak format. He had to go to the back... they don't. Fsck.

I then asked a lady who works here if I could do some jiggery pokery with the keyboard to convert the actual keys to Dvorak. She told me that the keyboard was welded to the computer and that would make it impossible to convert the keys to Dvorak. Again, fsck.

But is that true? Is it really that hopeless? Is there a way to convert the MacBook Pro Retina keyboard to Dvorak? Has anyone here done it? Is there any stumbling blocks or possible places where I might encounter some trouble doing it myself?

I've also asked locally at independent Mac repair shops and so far, no dice. They do not do keyboard remapping at the Mac Shack, a repair shop on University Hill. I am planning on going to Boulder Mac Repair and to a couple of places in Denver to see if they do this but I'm starting to think that this is something I'm going to have to DIY.

Last edited by a moderator:

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Who the **** is Dvorak ?

I took my time to read @ wikipedia and it sounds nice. why can't you use sticks on it ?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Google keyboard mapper for Mac to get the software you are looking for.

Edit: Or go into settings and then Keyboard settings, select DVORAK layout there.

JessicaSideways

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Boulder, CO
Who the **** is Dvorak ?

I took my time to read @ wikipedia and it sounds nice. why can't you use sticks on it ?

Three words: Autistic Sensory Overload.

Same reason why I buy certain clothing (and modify certain vintage clothing so seams, tags, etc aren't nearly as obtrusive). Because if I don't, it'll bug the fsck out of me.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Edit: Or go into settings and then Keyboard settings, select DORVAK layout there.

Did you read the original post? She knows how to use software to remap the keys, but it's the keys themselves that are the issue.

JessicaSideways

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Boulder, CO

... Out of curiousity, why would I need that? Esp. given that the Dvorak layout is included as a part of Mac OS X, so the software part is a non-issue.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Last edited:

otab

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2013
I've successfully converted my MBP/Retina to Dvorak

Use a plastic spudger tool to gently pry the keys off from the top, then move them where they should go and press them back down until they click back into place.

Took me about 10 minutes.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,729

wmage

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
San Francisco
Use a plastic spudger tool to gently pry the keys off from the top, then move them where they should go and press them back down until they click back into place.

Took me about 10 minutes.

And that's how I destroyed my right command key on my wired keyboard.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
And that's how I destroyed my right command key on my wired keyboard.

Wired keyboard uses different mechanism for fixating the keys ;) But for the MBP, with some practice and lots of patience, its easily doable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.