Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:03 PM   #76
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

How to run ePSXe on a Mac without installing windows.

I've never seen that problem on ePSXE. Maybe you're not using a compatible resolution? As for the Mac automatically switching to discrete graphics already epsxe, that was a behavior I've always observed up until today. Perhaps the new engines and wineskin do this. When I'm not so lazy, I'll compare with a few other wrappers known to work.

Last edited by mentaluproar; Apr 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:23 AM   #77
doh123
macrumors 65816

Apple has OS X set to use your dGPU when certain libraries are linked in a running program. As soon as WineskinX11 starts, and the Mac Driver or XQuartz as well... the OpenGL libraries are hit and OSX switches to your dGPU. The only way to prevent this currently is gfxCardStatus. Unless I implement a way to lock GPUs like gfxCardStatus does, the control of your GPU is totally out of Wineskin's control, and is handled by the OS.
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 07:28 PM   #78
musicjunky
macrumors regular

I've been using PCSX mostly and most 2D games run fine, and 3d polygonal games run really choppily on my Macbook Air 2011. Would using ePSXe work out any better for me? How is the speed comparable. Thanks.
musicjunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:06 PM   #79
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjunky View Post
I've been using PCSX mostly and most 2D games run fine, and 3d polygonal games run really choppily on my Macbook Air 2011. Would using ePSXe work out any better for me? How is the speed comparable. Thanks.
I used to run ePSXe on a PC that probably had a quarter of the computing and graphical power of even a 2011 MBA back in 2000. Even assuming some slight overhead from WINE, you shouldn't have a single problem playing anything, 2D or 3D.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games