Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xbl4814

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Is it possible to run a TB display with a second monitor hooked up to the HDMI port?

Don't want to use the TB port on the 27" TB display for second display as this is used for an external drive.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
Yes, I believe this is possible...Either with an HDMI->DVI adapter, or possibly just an HDMI cable if the hookup with the display will be via HDMI, not sure though.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Is it possible to run a TB display with a second monitor hooked up to the HDMI port?

Don't want to use the TB port on the 27" TB display for second display as this is used for an external drive.

Yes. It will be limited to 1920 x 1200 though. I assume your external drive does not have TB pass thru?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yes, as stated by others this will work. But if you add a 2nd TBD, you can plug the external drive into the 2nd TBD (Mini -> TBD -> TBD -> Drive)

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006

Yes, I have a 27" TB Display plugged into the TB port on the mini and a Dell monitor using an HDMI->DVI cable.

To address your second point, you can not use the TB port on the TB monitor to drive a second monitor unless it's also a TB monitor. I tried a MiniDisplay-> DVI (or HDMI for that matter) and it didn't work. I talked with AppleCare and they said the TB port on the monitor doesn't support MiniDisplay output. This sort of sucked because I actually wanted to run three monitors.

xbl4814

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
What Type of Dell monitordo you have?

Thanks for confirming that and just wondering what model of Dell Monitor are you using?

I had seen there are issues with using the TB port on the back of the 27" TB display with non Apple TB monitors.

However I am thinking that maybe the TB pass through port on the Lacie Little Big SSD external drive might do the job.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yes, I have a 27" TB Display plugged into the TB port on the mini and a Dell monitor using an HDMI->DVI cable.

To address your second point, you can not use the TB port on the TB monitor to drive a second monitor unless it's also a TB monitor. I tried a MiniDisplay-> DVI (or HDMI for that matter) and it didn't work. I talked with AppleCare and they said the TB port on the monitor doesn't support MiniDisplay output. This sort of sucked because I actually wanted to run three monitors.

While this is true to some extent, you can run a displayport monitor after the TB IF you put another TB device between them.

For example:

Mini -> TBD -> Seagate Desktop TB Drive -> 2nd non-TBD Monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.