Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Not exactly. And not the reason I own one.

I now own one for the same reason of easier portability. I used to go everywhere with my laptop, then (full sized) iPad and then.....

Do you see the trend?

I see lots of people who buy the cheaper low end tablets running to Apple in droves to by a an iPad mini for the same price. Add up all of the cheap Android tablets sold and I'd guess you'd have a user base of several million. Now would you but the Android or the iPad mini if they are the same price?

And I do agree with you about the portability.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
With Apple pretty much silent for half the year, I'm not surprised.

Things have been silent. It seems like "rumors" may only happen when Apple allows them? Hopefully everything isn't happening in the fall because Apple's line-up is a bit stale.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Any sources for people jumping ship?

Because all those "Which phone would you buy next?" and "How happy are you with your device?" surveys are dominated by the iPhone.

The number of people switching from iOS to Android seems low.

Yes, maybe there are hundreds of thousands - but with a user base of 300 million people, even 2 million people switching to Android is unimportant.

And what about people buying their first iPhone?

Will they say that they are bored by iOS?

No, because they have never used it before and for them, it's brand new and not boring and stale.

The iPhones sales have grown exponential, which means two things: YoY the increase in sales has been enormous AND a huge percentage of iPhone users are still using their first iPhone.

For these users, who have been owning an iPhone for only a year, iOS is still very fresh.

I work for a major carrier. I am in stores, I have seen it with my own eyes. consumers barely asking for the iphone these days.

iphones are built to last, unless you drop it or hold it wrong when your making a phone call.

BashBrannigan

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Toronto
Cheaper than the Touch? Don't think so.

So what would be the price of the iPod Touch if they're selling the iPad for less? It would seem odd to sell the iPad for less than the smaller Touch. Already the Touch is $300, which was an increase over the previous model.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I see lots of people who buy the cheaper low end tablets running to Apple in droves to by a an iPad mini for the same price. Add up all of the cheap Android tablets sold and I'd guess you'd have a user base of several million. Now would you but the Android or the iPad mini if they are the same price?

And I do agree with you about the portability.

I would buy the iPad every time.

However, working exclusively with Apple computers and products since 1996, my answer may not be considered as impartial. Bearing this in mind, I am also able to overlook some of the imperfections or limitations of some Apple products as my focus is not on one aspect but the overall user experience.

Equally there are some people I have come across who now feel the same about MS and android products. I think this is because when iPhone, iPod and iPad arrived, the PC user had no other way of accessing this type of innovation without 'switching' or compromising on functionality.

Now, with the likes of Samsung, now making their way in mobile markets people are starting to take note. [no pun intended]

There will always be people who will buy Apple, because of the name [regardless of whether 'x' product is the best in class] and this is where I agree you make your point on the average person choosing one over the other.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I would buy the iPad every time.

However, working exclusively with Apple computers and products since 1996, my answer may not be considered as impartial. Bearing this in mind, I am also able to overlook some of the imperfections or limitations of some Apple products as my focus is not on one aspect but the overall user experience.

Equally there are some people I have come across who now feel the same about MS and android products. I think this is because when iPhone, iPod and iPad arrived, the PC user had no other way of accessing this type of innovation without 'switching' or compromising on functionality.

Now, with the likes of Samsung, now making their way in mobile markets people are starting to take note. [no pun intended]

There will always be people who will buy Apple, because of the name [regardless of whether 'x' product is the best in class] and this is where I agree you make your point on the average person choosing one over the other.

As far as tablets go, the iPad is the one to beat. I don't see any stand out Android tablet to really compete at this time. The Surface Pro is an excellent product, but I thinks it's more of a hybrid. In the phone arena, others have caught up to the iPhone. Samsung, and now HTC and a few others are making some nice phones. Windows phone 8 is a good OS, but will it catch on?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As far as tablets go, the iPad is the one to beat. I don't see any stand out Android tablet to really compete at this time. The Surface Pro is an excellent product, but I thinks it's more of a hybrid. In the phone arena, others have caught up to the iPhone. Samsung, and now HTC and a few others are making some nice phones. Windows phone 8 is a good OS, but will it catch on?

Very good and well said statements. For many it's a toss up with the iPhone, which wins with the ecosystem, but falls short on the key features that some may want.

The iPad on the other hand . . . . I've been anticipating many Android tablets and have been thoroughly disappointed. I had hopes for the Galaxy Note 8 and those hopes were dashed in just the build quality of the thing alone. Sadly, I found my Note II much easier to use. It's like no one outside of Apple is really listening when it comes to tablets. They hit key marks and miss every thing else.

The iPad and iPad Mini are still indeed the devices to beat.

Applerer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2013
It isn't cheap iPhone. It is just a more affordable iPhone (with better margins and features than selling 2 year old phones). It likely still would be a $300-450 phone. That isn't cheap. But in markets where there are no amortized price payments ( pre-pay for the phone) it is more competitive with against $300-400 phones ( e.g. $299 Nexus 4 ).

Yep, I mistyped. I meant "cheaper," of course.

Not just developing countries. Over time Smartphone costs are going to come down everywhere. Because frankly the phone will be "good enough" for most folks. When get to 4 cores, 1-2GB RAM , 32GB of Flash the phones are typically going to be "good enough". The applications that most users run won't be outrunning the technology improvements of CPU/GPU/RAM/Flash.

That's true of the way smartphones are used now. But perhaps predictions of smartphones as the "central hub" of personal computing will come true in 10 years. Then we will want more computing power and storage out of them. I'm skeptical of that idea, but I do think that smartphones will either find a new niche to fill or be replaced by an even newer computing device as the must-have tech of the developed world.

Other than those points, I can't really argue anything you said. You make good points.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013

I played with an htc one the other day. Awesome device. I'm kind of over samsung so I hope htc gets some traction with the one.

I also hope apple amazes with the 5s because I plan to get it.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Considering they have a product called Apple TV, not iTV, and iPod Touch, not iTouch, anything is possible.

The iPod touch is a iPod... the iPad mini isn't iMini, the iPod nano isn't a iNano, its a subcategory of the iPod... as for the apple tv it's for multi able reasons it isn't called iTV.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
But everyone else grew by 189.6% to 288.7%. This is not a good sign for Apple.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/0...e-tablet-shipments-falls-below-40-in-1q-2013/

1. Apple's devices start at 330$, while Asus starts at 199$ (Nexus 7), Amazon at 159$ etc...
"Others" probably starts at 69$, some ultra-cheap chinese tablet...

Converting buyers of 199$ tablets to buyers of 9$ apps will pose a problem.

2. Samsung is very often giving away tablets if you buy one of their Whatever...

You can get a free GalaxyTab 2 if you buy one of their TVs at the right retailer - or even if you buy one of their fridges!

Or if you preorder a Galaxy S 4.

Or buy a SGS 3.

A Samsung camera.

We should doubt any numbers analysts are giving about Samsung.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
1. Apple's devices start at 330$, while Asus starts at 199$ (Nexus 7), Amazon at 159$ etc...
"Others" probably starts at 69$, some ultra-cheap chinese tablet...

Converting buyers of 199$ tablets to buyers of 9$ apps will pose a problem.

2. Samsung is very often giving away tablets if you buy one of their Whatever...

You can get a free GalaxyTab 2 if you buy one of their TVs at the right retailer - or even if you buy one of their fridges!

Or if you preorder a Galaxy S 4.

Or buy a SGS 3.

A Samsung camera.

We should doubt any numbers analysts are giving about Samsung.

Thanks for your input, but with all due respect....Analyst or random dude on a message board....Which would you pick if you were me?

As for me the quality of the iPads are 2nd to none, so will spend my money there until Apple totally ticks me off with their continued patent garbage. I admit I have stuck with my Android phone because of this. Hope to upgrade to HTC One soon.

P.S. Apple....please give me widgets. Quick glance on phone for temps, sports scores, etc just can't be beat. You already copied the notification bar...what is one more good idea to copy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.