Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:05 PM   #226
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604
 
AppleScruff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
Not exactly. And not the reason I own one.

I now own one for the same reason of easier portability. I used to go everywhere with my laptop, then (full sized) iPad and then.....

Do you see the trend?
I see lots of people who buy the cheaper low end tablets running to Apple in droves to by a an iPad mini for the same price. Add up all of the cheap Android tablets sold and I'd guess you'd have a user base of several million. Now would you but the Android or the iPad mini if they are the same price?

And I do agree with you about the portability.
AppleScruff1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:41 PM   #227
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
With Apple pretty much silent for half the year, I'm not surprised.
Things have been silent. It seems like "rumors" may only happen when Apple allows them? Hopefully everything isn't happening in the fall because Apple's line-up is a bit stale.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:42 PM   #228
iLilana
macrumors 6502a
 
iLilana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Alberta, Canada
true or not

I buy the crap outa these things. Probably pick up 3 more. Best midi controllers ever.
__________________
maxed bto 2013 27 inch iMac, iPad2 16gb, dual i7 11 inch late 2012 Macbook Air. iPad mini 32GB with LTE, iPad4 32gb. Still need 2 more iPads.
iLilana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:19 PM   #229
petey2133
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Any sources for people jumping ship?

Because all those "Which phone would you buy next?" and "How happy are you with your device?" surveys are dominated by the iPhone.

The number of people switching from iOS to Android seems low.

Yes, maybe there are hundreds of thousands - but with a user base of 300 million people, even 2 million people switching to Android is unimportant.

And what about people buying their first iPhone?

Will they say that they are bored by iOS?

No, because they have never used it before and for them, it's brand new and not boring and stale.

The iPhones sales have grown exponential, which means two things: YoY the increase in sales has been enormous AND a huge percentage of iPhone users are still using their first iPhone.

For these users, who have been owning an iPhone for only a year, iOS is still very fresh.
I work for a major carrier. I am in stores, I have seen it with my own eyes. consumers barely asking for the iphone these days.

iphones are built to last, unless you drop it or hold it wrong when your making a phone call.
petey2133 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:31 PM   #230
BashBrannigan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Cheaper than the Touch? Don't think so.

So what would be the price of the iPod Touch if they're selling the iPad for less? It would seem odd to sell the iPad for less than the smaller Touch. Already the Touch is $300, which was an increase over the previous model.
BashBrannigan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:56 PM   #231
StoneJack
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLilana View Post
I buy the crap outa these things. Probably pick up 3 more. Best midi controllers ever.
Hi can you elaborate on your setup? I am using garageband on mac and wondering
__________________
LC 630, Blue and White G3 350, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPod nano (2), iPodTouch 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, AppleTV HD, iPad mini
StoneJack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:36 AM   #232
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a
 
AppleMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The CCTV Capital of the World
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I see lots of people who buy the cheaper low end tablets running to Apple in droves to by a an iPad mini for the same price. Add up all of the cheap Android tablets sold and I'd guess you'd have a user base of several million. Now would you but the Android or the iPad mini if they are the same price?

And I do agree with you about the portability.
I would buy the iPad every time.

However, working exclusively with Apple computers and products since 1996, my answer may not be considered as impartial. Bearing this in mind, I am also able to overlook some of the imperfections or limitations of some Apple products as my focus is not on one aspect but the overall user experience.

Equally there are some people I have come across who now feel the same about MS and android products. I think this is because when iPhone, iPod and iPad arrived, the PC user had no other way of accessing this type of innovation without 'switching' or compromising on functionality.

Now, with the likes of Samsung, now making their way in mobile markets people are starting to take note. [no pun intended]

There will always be people who will buy Apple, because of the name [regardless of whether 'x' product is the best in class] and this is where I agree you make your point on the average person choosing one over the other.
__________________
Although I may not always reply to negative comments, this will not necessarily mean that I concede the point.
AppleMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 08:24 AM   #233
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604
 
AppleScruff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
I would buy the iPad every time.

However, working exclusively with Apple computers and products since 1996, my answer may not be considered as impartial. Bearing this in mind, I am also able to overlook some of the imperfections or limitations of some Apple products as my focus is not on one aspect but the overall user experience.

Equally there are some people I have come across who now feel the same about MS and android products. I think this is because when iPhone, iPod and iPad arrived, the PC user had no other way of accessing this type of innovation without 'switching' or compromising on functionality.

Now, with the likes of Samsung, now making their way in mobile markets people are starting to take note. [no pun intended]

There will always be people who will buy Apple, because of the name [regardless of whether 'x' product is the best in class] and this is where I agree you make your point on the average person choosing one over the other.
As far as tablets go, the iPad is the one to beat. I don't see any stand out Android tablet to really compete at this time. The Surface Pro is an excellent product, but I thinks it's more of a hybrid. In the phone arena, others have caught up to the iPhone. Samsung, and now HTC and a few others are making some nice phones. Windows phone 8 is a good OS, but will it catch on?
AppleScruff1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:24 PM   #234
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
As far as tablets go, the iPad is the one to beat. I don't see any stand out Android tablet to really compete at this time. The Surface Pro is an excellent product, but I thinks it's more of a hybrid. In the phone arena, others have caught up to the iPhone. Samsung, and now HTC and a few others are making some nice phones. Windows phone 8 is a good OS, but will it catch on?
Very good and well said statements. For many it's a toss up with the iPhone, which wins with the ecosystem, but falls short on the key features that some may want.

The iPad on the other hand . . . . I've been anticipating many Android tablets and have been thoroughly disappointed. I had hopes for the Galaxy Note 8 and those hopes were dashed in just the build quality of the thing alone. Sadly, I found my Note II much easier to use. It's like no one outside of Apple is really listening when it comes to tablets. They hit key marks and miss every thing else.

The iPad and iPad Mini are still indeed the devices to beat.
__________________
What do I have?, stuff that I actually use for work! Some old, some new, all effective.
Digital Skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 07:20 AM   #235
Applerer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
It isn't cheap iPhone. It is just a more affordable iPhone (with better margins and features than selling 2 year old phones). It likely still would be a $300-450 phone. That isn't cheap. But in markets where there are no amortized price payments ( pre-pay for the phone) it is more competitive with against $300-400 phones ( e.g. $299 Nexus 4 ).
Yep, I mistyped. I meant "cheaper," of course.


Quote:
Not just developing countries. Over time Smartphone costs are going to come down everywhere. Because frankly the phone will be "good enough" for most folks. When get to 4 cores, 1-2GB RAM , 32GB of Flash the phones are typically going to be "good enough". The applications that most users run won't be outrunning the technology improvements of CPU/GPU/RAM/Flash.
That's true of the way smartphones are used now. But perhaps predictions of smartphones as the "central hub" of personal computing will come true in 10 years. Then we will want more computing power and storage out of them. I'm skeptical of that idea, but I do think that smartphones will either find a new niche to fill or be replaced by an even newer computing device as the must-have tech of the developed world.

Other than those points, I can't really argue anything you said. You make good points.
Applerer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 07:49 AM   #236
pirg
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
As far as tablets go, the iPad is the one to beat. I don't see any stand out Android tablet to really compete at this time. The Surface Pro is an excellent product, but I thinks it's more of a hybrid. In the phone arena, others have caught up to the iPhone. Samsung, and now HTC and a few others are making some nice phones. Windows phone 8 is a good OS, but will it catch on?
I played with an htc one the other day. Awesome device. I'm kind of over samsung so I hope htc gets some traction with the one.

I also hope apple amazes with the 5s because I plan to get it.
pirg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:02 PM   #237
goobot
macrumors 601
 
goobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: long island NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsterilite View Post
Considering they have a product called Apple TV, not iTV, and iPod Touch, not iTouch, anything is possible.
The iPod touch is a iPod... the iPad mini isn't iMini, the iPod nano isn't a iNano, its a subcategory of the iPod... as for the apple tv it's for multi able reasons it isn't called iTV.
__________________
Unibody Macbook |iPad|Apple TV 2|Black iPhone 6
goobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 04:33 PM   #238
tshrimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualball View Post
Huh? Did he not see the quarterly results? While iPad Minis definitely ate into the company's profit margins and iPad sales, the device sales were up nearly 66% yoy!
But everyone else grew by 189.6% to 288.7%. This is not a good sign for Apple.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/...40-in-1q-2013/
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 04:37 PM   #239
siurpeeman
macrumors 603
 
siurpeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the OC
Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
But everyone else grew by 189.6% to 288.7%. This is not a good sign for Apple.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/...40-in-1q-2013/
looking at percentages alone can be so misleading. if i turned one penny into five (400% growth), did i do a good job? would it be less impressive to turn $1M into $2M (only 100% growth)?
__________________
grr...argh...
siurpeeman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 04:58 AM   #240
SILen(e
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
But everyone else grew by 189.6% to 288.7%. This is not a good sign for Apple.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/01/...40-in-1q-2013/
1. Apple's devices start at 330$, while Asus starts at 199$ (Nexus 7), Amazon at 159$ etc...
"Others" probably starts at 69$, some ultra-cheap chinese tablet...

Converting buyers of 199$ tablets to buyers of 9$ apps will pose a problem.

2. Samsung is very often giving away tablets if you buy one of their Whatever...

You can get a free GalaxyTab 2 if you buy one of their TVs at the right retailer - or even if you buy one of their fridges!

Or if you preorder a Galaxy S 4.

Or buy a SGS 3.

A Samsung camera.


We should doubt any numbers analysts are giving about Samsung.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:04 AM   #241
tshrimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
1. Apple's devices start at 330$, while Asus starts at 199$ (Nexus 7), Amazon at 159$ etc...
"Others" probably starts at 69$, some ultra-cheap chinese tablet...

Converting buyers of 199$ tablets to buyers of 9$ apps will pose a problem.

2. Samsung is very often giving away tablets if you buy one of their Whatever...

You can get a free GalaxyTab 2 if you buy one of their TVs at the right retailer - or even if you buy one of their fridges!

Or if you preorder a Galaxy S 4.

Or buy a SGS 3.

A Samsung camera.


We should doubt any numbers analysts are giving about Samsung.
Thanks for your input, but with all due respect....Analyst or random dude on a message board....Which would you pick if you were me?

As for me the quality of the iPads are 2nd to none, so will spend my money there until Apple totally ticks me off with their continued patent garbage. I admit I have stuck with my Android phone because of this. Hope to upgrade to HTC One soon.

P.S. Apple....please give me widgets. Quick glance on phone for temps, sports scores, etc just can't be beat. You already copied the notification bar...what is one more good idea to copy?
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:08 AM   #242
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
when the iPad Mini 2 comes out, the current one will continue to sell at a lower price.
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Drops Refurbished iPad Prices, iPad Mini Now Available for $249, iPad 4 for $379 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 16 Oct 23, 2013 09:53 AM
iPad Mini: how much would Apple lower the price on iPad Mini once new one's out? kevjen888 iPad 2 Oct 5, 2013 10:12 AM
Nexus 4 Price drop - Now $199 and $249 jamojamo Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 118 Sep 4, 2013 06:37 AM
iPhone 5 32GB - ATT(249) or Verizon(199)? whobeadrian iPhone 13 Feb 23, 2013 03:53 PM
[RUMOR] Apple will launch a $249 7.85 inch ‘iPad mini’ in October shyam09 Wasteland 5 Jul 15, 2012 03:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC