Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Which iPad trade-in service is best?
Buy Back World 3 17.65%
Gazelle 5 29.41%
Other (post in thread) 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Question Buy Back World vs. Gazelle

Which service is better for trading in an iPad 3 or iPad Mini.

I've noticed Buy Back World is offering more than Gazelle, but I haven't heard anything about them. Any opinions?
iPhoneApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:53 AM   #2
12vElectronics
macrumors 68000
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
Have you checked orange offer
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Fondaparinux
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Apple's.
Fondaparinux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 03:02 AM   #4
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
leftywamumonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Amazon trade-in. Sites like Gazelle won't give you much.
leftywamumonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
mfr1340
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: n. cal
Gazelle

Gazelle just gave me $225.00 for my 64gig ATT iphone. They sent me a shipping box and I can wait for my 5s to arrive before I send it in.
mfr1340 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6
blevins321
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
celltradein.com

I haven't sold a tablet to them yet, but I've done two old iPhones. I also have quote of $425 for my 32GB AT&T iPhone 5 when my Galaxy S4 arrives

First time didn't hear from them for a few days, but an email was answered quickly - their section of Chicago had their power cut for 3 days in a construction accident.

Second time they mailed the check two days after they received my phone. No complaints at all

Pay by check or Paypal.
__________________
Late 2013 15" Retina MBP; iPhone 5S; iPad Air
blevins321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:14 PM   #7
iPhoneApple
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vElectronics View Post
Have you checked orange offer
Orange? Is this available in the U.S.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
Apple's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftywamumonkey View Post
Amazon trade-in. Sites like Gazelle won't give you much.
Does Amazon give cash or is it just a gift card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1340 View Post
Gazelle just gave me $225.00 for my 64gig ATT iphone. They sent me a shipping box and I can wait for my 5s to arrive before I send it in.
Was their online the same as the final price offered?
iPhoneApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:00 AM   #8
12vElectronics
macrumors 68000
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
Yes USA
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:08 AM   #9
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a
 
xkmxkmxlmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
eBay. You'll get way more.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:48 AM   #10
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
leftywamumonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneApple View Post
Orange? Is this available in the U.S.?




Does Amazon give cash or is it just a gift card?



Was their online the same as the final price offered?
Amazon will give you credit for their site.
__________________
Bring the Mac Pro back!
leftywamumonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 04:56 AM   #11
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Competition is increasing which will only benefit us. I like gazelle, but if another service is offering more money then its a no brainer, provided they're an established company.

I'm interested in what Apple and best buy have to offer.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Phonzoxd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Competition is increasing which will only benefit us. I like gazelle, but if another service is offering more money then its a no brainer, provided they're an established company.

I'm interested in what Apple and best buy have to offer.
I have a suspicion Apple nor Bestbuy will give much.

So I browsed a couple of these sites, and with my 16gb verizon iphone 5

Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

The thing with celltradein and amazon if i understand correctly is if you act right now, whereas Gazelle you can hold the cost for now, and ship it in a month.

So I dont know what to do now. Sell my i5 now for more money and use a dummy phone, or....... what for 5S and get less later.
Phonzoxd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:54 PM   #13
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: 'Merica!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzoxd View Post
I have a suspicion Apple nor Bestbuy will give much.

So I browsed a couple of these sites, and with my 16gb verizon iphone 5

Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

The thing with celltradein and amazon if i understand correctly is if you act right now, whereas Gazelle you can hold the cost for now, and ship it in a month.

So I dont know what to do now. Sell my i5 now for more money and use a dummy phone, or....... what for 5S and get less later.
Why not just sell it for $400+ on eBay?
ItHurtsWhenIP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 08:05 PM   #14
adam044
macrumors 65816
 
adam044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
newtonshead.com
__________________
13" Late 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz > iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey AT&T > iPad 4 > Apple TV 3
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:01 PM   #15
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Sell on eBay to only reputable buyers and you'll get the most resale value.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:28 AM   #16
3rd Rock
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Over here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItHurtsWhenIP View Post
Why not just sell it for $400+ on eBay?
Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

For me, as shown above, celltradein is only $15 less than what you mentioned ebay will get you. I would rather not go through any possible hassle with Ebay.
3rd Rock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #17
tkmcguire1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Gazelle is a rip off

Gazelle has a store on ebay.
They will give you lowball prices the turn around and mark up and sell for a profit on ebay.
You much better placing it for sale on your own.
Example last year when I sold my ipad 3,I tried gazelle,just curious to see what they would offer,it was in like new condition .
They offered $245,I sold on ebay for $430,this was right after the 4 came out.
Talk about a rip off.
Just sale on your own,you will be much better off,and have more money in your pocket
tkmcguire1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Phonzoxd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Rock View Post
Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

For me, as shown above, celltradein is only $15 less than what you mentioned ebay will get you. I would rather not go through any possible hassle with Ebay.
This is my exact reasoning as well.

On ebay itll fetch ~450, once you account for ebay fees you are just over 400. Then you got to deal with the hassle of bad buyers, or even scam buyers.

I rather not deal with the headache of being a seller on such a high price item on ebay.

Im shipping mine out tomorrow. I activated my dummy phone. Besides my company gave me a i5 for work so instead of having 2 for the next 3 weeks, I'll have 1
Phonzoxd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:39 AM   #19
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzoxd View Post
I have a suspicion Apple nor Bestbuy will give much..
I can see your point but I think by having best buy and apple be in this trade in market, will make the other services like gazelle up their offers to keep from losing business.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmcguire1 View Post
Just sale on your own,you will be much better off,and have more money in your pocket
These trade in service offer convenience and safety. I've heard of too many horror stories about people getting scammed out of their phones on eBay, and of course the fees and hassle of trying to sell it.

When I sold my iPhone 4 to Gazelle last year it wasn't worth much being 2 years old and the market was flooded with people selling their iPhone 4 and 4s for the 5. Time is money and I was able to get a decent amount very quickly.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:15 PM   #20
inboxer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I have used buybackworld a few times to sell an ipad 2 and iphone 4 with no complaints. They were recommended to me by a friend and I would definitely recommend their service again and plan on using them to sell my ipad retina if, not when, there is a new ipad.

Gazelle seems good but they pay less. A few friends have used them but unfortunately their prices are a bit low.

Celltradein and orangeoffer are the same company operating under two different names - check their BBB and internet complaints. I would be afraid to deal with this company.
inboxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:38 PM   #21
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzoxd View Post
This is my exact reasoning as well.

On ebay itll fetch ~450, once you account for ebay fees you are just over 400. Then you got to deal with the hassle of bad buyers, or even scam buyers.

I rather not deal with the headache of being a seller on such a high price item on ebay.

Im shipping mine out tomorrow. I activated my dummy phone. Besides my company gave me a i5 for work so instead of having 2 for the next 3 weeks, I'll have 1
Dealing with this currently with my HTC One I sold middle of August....

Guy is claiming credit card wasn't authorized and wants a chargeback. But as the device is already in his possesion (or at least, the tracking info says delivered) and I used eBay/PayPal the ENTIRE way, I'm confident I'll get to keep my money.

Just sold my 32 GB AT&T iPhone on eBay as well - $525 + $15 shipping. After fees and such, I'll pocket roughly $460 for the iPhone.
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 5S, 2G | Lumia 635 | iPad Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
"Innovation, my ass!" -Phil Schiller
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #22
Motherload0211
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Check this link out....Has sites that one can judge for the iPhone trade in for best price, but you can get an idea of the trade in for ipads as well by doing a comparison.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-deals-online/
Motherload0211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Phonzoxd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by inboxer View Post
I have used buybackworld a few times to sell an ipad 2 and iphone 4 with no complaints. They were recommended to me by a friend and I would definitely recommend their service again and plan on using them to sell my ipad retina if, not when, there is a new ipad.

Gazelle seems good but they pay less. A few friends have used them but unfortunately their prices are a bit low.

Celltradein and orangeoffer are the same company operating under two different names - check their BBB and internet complaints. I would be afraid to deal with this company.
Well I cant speak for anyone else, but I sent my iphone 5 16gb into Celltradein on Tuesday, they recieved it this afternoon and I got paid tonight through paypal.

All in all it worked great, they kept me updated on everything and they paid me what they promised; 385.

HOWEVER..................

I submitted my order as a verizon iphone, but they are claiming I sent them an ATT iphone. Doesnt matter to me, I got the same amount, but apparently they cant tell the difference or something.
Phonzoxd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:12 PM   #24
mr.thedaniel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
gazelle has good customer service, and getting the 5% bonus for amazon gift card is nice, but it still tends to be less money than selling on ebay, amazon, etc.
mr.thedaniel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gazelle, wonder where they sell all the phones and computers they buy? entatlrg Community Discussion 3 Jan 12, 2014 06:03 AM
How to buy in gazelle Sriteja25 iPhone 7 Jun 17, 2013 11:10 PM
Back into the Mac world collinmac MacBook Pro 9 Jun 3, 2013 06:44 PM
Apple is back as the most valuable company in the world rMBP15 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 2 Feb 7, 2013 10:08 AM
what does gazelle.com do with all the gear they buy back johndallas999 iPad 2 Oct 25, 2012 11:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC