Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiltonThales

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Suwanee, GA
Thunderbolt crashed my iMac

I bought a Belkin Thunderbolt dock for my 2011 iMac (iMac12,2) and the USB 3.0 speed is quite impressive. But this morning I disconnected the power from the dock before disconnecting the Apple Thunderbolt cable, and the iMac crashed: kernel panic to re-boot. Instantly, no waiting !

So I don't think they have all the bugs out yet... :rolleyes:

Vonner

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I finally got my Apple USB keyboard (with the 10 key number pad) to work again on my iMac. I had plug it into my MBA. When I did, it couldn't identify it. I then plugged it back into the iMac and it was working again.

Weird.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I use quite a few T-bolt devices? Esata hub, Ethernet aggregation with T-Bolt ethernet adapter. Why do people still pick on it as if it is redundant?

----------

I bought a Belkin Thunderbolt dock for my 2011 iMac (iMac12,2) and the USB 3.0 speed is quite impressive. But this morning I disconnected the power from the dock before disconnecting the Apple Thunderbolt cable, and the iMac crashed: kernel panic to re-boot. Instantly, no waiting !

So I don't think they have all the bugs out yet... :rolleyes:

The USB 3.0 on the belkin hub runs at half speed (2500). Have you compared it to full USB 3.0? I am interested to see if it bottlenecks when pushed.

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
I Just Nervously Updated my 2011 MBP....

I Just Nervously Updated my 2011 MBP... I say N E R V O U S L Y because of what I have been reading.... BUT, all went fine! Whew... I did disconnect the (2) Thunderbolt drives that I have had connected... both Lacie Little Big Disk's, (1) 2tb & (1) 1tb SSD

I had several updates to install, I did all others prior, ran the Thunderbolt 1.2 separately... it restarted. I shutdown (just to be on the safe side) reconnected the drives, and all appears fine. Glad... Happy, OK... Thrilled that all appears WELL!

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007

I have work PC laptop with a displayport connector. I would enjoy being able to use my iMac as a screen when I bring that home.

----------

Most devices don't need the extra bandwidth and daisy-chaining sucks (real fun disconnecting the monitor at the end every time you want to add or remove something in-between). Then there's the matter of how insanely expensive Thunderbolt devices are over USB 3 equivalents (most of which again don't use the extra bandwidth so it's just crapping money down the drain). All of which begs the question you asked. Are you crazy?

Having said that, given it's also a video output port, there's no point in replacing it with another USB 3.0 port. The fact is there is plenty of room on all Apple notebooks for more USB 3.0 ports, particularly if they made them just a hair thicker overall (what good is thin if it makes your life hell with no ports?) They simply don't utilize the space well, IMO. My Mac Mini has 4 USB 3.0 ports and I would have preferred 4 more built-in because unlike Thunderbolt, I actually have a TON of USB 2.x and 3.x devices. With one slot used to plug in my old 7-port USB 2.x hub that leaves me with zero free ports after plugging in a USB 3.0 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD writer drive and two USB 3.0 3TB drives.

I am unclear how you can be anti-daisy chaining capability, while complaining about how you use up all of your USB 3 ports with multiple drives you presumably leave permanently connected.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I am unclear how you can be anti-daisy chaining capability, while complaining about how you use up all of your USB 3 ports with multiple drives you presumably leave permanently connected.

Because if I had to sort through 10 devices worth of cable to unplug something and plug something else in, I'd go nuts sooner or later. As far as I know, there are no hubs for Thunderbolt so even if you'd like to parallel connect, you simply cannot. I can always buy another hub. And no I don't leave all those drives always connected seeing as a little more than half of them are backups.

Kate4u

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
27-inch iMac , Late 2012

My 3 Thunderbolt devices work very well .
(2 G-RAID with Thunderbolt + 1 Promise Pegasus J4 ) with daisy chain .

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
My 3 Thunderbolt devices work very well .
(2 G-RAID with Thunderbolt + 1 Promise Pegasus J4 ) with daisy chain .

Well, three devices is a far cry from the 10+ USB 2x and 3x devices I have. I wouldn't want them daisy-chained due to the sheer number alone.

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
How can I check which version of Thunderbolt I am running ?
Mac mini 2012, OS 10.8.4.

After applying the update to my 2012 Mac mini it show the firmware version as 23.4 in Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info... > Overview > System Report... > Hardware > Thunderbolt.
What does yours show?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
After applying the update to my 2012 Mac mini it show the firmware version as 23.4 in Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info... > Overview > System Report... > Hardware > Thunderbolt.
What does yours show?

My 2011 Mac Mini shows version 25.1 after update.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 120
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.