Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
You CAN rest your hand on it, for example on Penultimate I write resting my hand on my iPad and nothing happens. If you touch the screen with your finger you write on it, that is correct, BUT you delete mistake with the push of a button.

What happens if you make a mistake on pen and paper? You either use a corrector,which will make you lose time because you have to wait until it is dry; or you cross out your mistake, which will make your paper look bad. If you make a mistake on the iPad, you just press a button.

As with almost everything in this life, it's a matter of choice. What do you like, what suits you best, what you feel more comfortable with.

so youre saying writing on an ipad with a stylus is better for you than writing on a piece of paper with a pen??
If so, good for you. But as someone who writes and takes notes a lot - I can tell you from experience its not even close.

ehfz

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
It's been a few years since I was in college and tablets weren't available at the time, but it probably does depend on which subject(s) you'll be taking. Equations can't be typed very easily but everything else is way easier to type than write if you are a decent typist (and way more searchable later). Writing with pend/pencil and scanning in the notes after class every day is not a bad option either.

I would just note that the more classes I took, the more I realized that I got more out of the class if I took minimal or no notes at all and just tried to actually absorb what the professor was saying. It depends on the format of the class, but I found that in general my notes were not as useful as the relevant reading material in the textbooks and that if I focused on notes I didn't engage with the flow of the lectures as much. Just a thought since I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in the technology of it all and forget to think about the real world practicality of my gadgets vs the lust-factor and just wanting to buy the new shiny.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
A lot of people will knock Windows but in my experience, nothing comes close to using onenote on a tablet with an active digitizer. If you get one that is wacom or ntrig based, you can write normally just as you would on a sheet of paper. There is no need to change your handwriting style or wear a glove in class. This isn't my video but this guy goes over a lot of features of onenote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OROShRVzQ

Aileron

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
I use my iPad mini as a complete paperless solution. It works well for me because it is a nice large screen that still fits in to my pocket.

My main apps are:

Notability
Good Reader
Quick Office
Aviation Apps (cuz I'm done with skewl and fly airplanes now)

Secondary apps include the typical apps one has (email, cloud storage, etc)

I'm currently playing with Notes Plus as a potential replacement for Notability as I really like the better additional tools it has (better screen capture from web pages, handwriting recognition, and portability of viewing the notes outside of the app). However, they need to fix the Bluetooth bug before I make the leap.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I use my iPad mini as a complete paperless solution. It works well for me because it is a nice large screen that still fits in to my pocket.

My main apps are:

Notability
Good Reader
Quick Office
Aviation Apps (cuz I'm done with skewl and fly airplanes now)

Secondary apps include the typical apps one has (email, cloud storage, etc)

But you don't need to keep up with a professor's lecture when you write your notes...you get all the time you need. Even up in the air, you probably don't have paragraphs worth of things to write on the mini, correct?

GRMM

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
But you don't need to keep up with a professor's lecture when you write your notes...you get all the time you need. Even up in the air, you probably don't have paragraphs worth of things to write on the mini, correct?

I have to keep up with a lecture and everybody in the class is surprised that I can follow the class perfectly. You just need to get use to writing on the iPad. Once you are ready, it is a great tool.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
In college now, I've tried taking notes with MBP, ipad, ipad mini, surface pro, and pen & paper. While I'd love to find a good note-taking solution that's digital and autosyncs over the cloud and all that, I still can't find anything that competes with pen and paper for me. A good leuchtturm notebook and mechanical pencil or pen has done much better for notes than others. Laptops are great until you need to draw a diagram. Tablets are great until you need to draw anything detailed, or try to read your crappy handwriting later...

maybe we'll see a decent e-ink note taker in the near future, but right now it's pen & paper all the way

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
In college now, I've tried taking notes with MBP, ipad, ipad mini, surface pro, and pen & paper. While I'd love to find a good note-taking solution that's digital and autosyncs over the cloud and all that, I still can't find anything that competes with pen and paper for me. A good leuchtturm notebook and mechanical pencil or pen has done much better for notes than others. Laptops are great until you need to draw a diagram. Tablets are great until you need to draw anything detailed, or try to read your crappy handwriting later...

maybe we'll see a decent e-ink note taker in the near future, but right now it's pen & paper all the way

I do agree. A thousand years working with pen and paper (or equivalent) and 20 years of digital replacements...

However, if one feels one MUST go digital - and this is going to sound like a sacrilege here at MacRumors.com - the Samsung Note products (I have a Note 8.0) are actually quite nice. They do pretty good handwriting recognition, the S-Pen plus digitizer doesn't pick up any wrist input so it's much better than an iPad with rubber stylus, and the writing point is much finer. The converted text can then be send to Evernote or another app of your choosing. Drawings/sketches will remain as-is.

I used to use a stylus with my iPad all the time plus Penultimate (an Evernote product). The Note 8 is a better combination for that purpose.

So if you don't mind using Android, the Note 8.0 (and the just-announced Note 10.1 2014 edition) are definitely worth considering.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
I do agree. A thousand years working with pen and paper (or equivalent) and 20 years of digital replacements...

However, if one feels one MUST go digital - and this is going to sound like a sacrilege here at MacRumors.com - the Samsung Note products (I have a Note 8.0) are actually quite nice. They do pretty good handwriting recognition, the S-Pen plus digitizer doesn't pick up any wrist input so it's much better than an iPad with rubber stylus, and the writing point is much finer. The converted text can then be send to Evernote or another app of your choosing. Drawings/sketches will remain as-is.

On an equally sacrilegious note, the surface pro with OneNote is great for digital handwriting recognition, and will let you choose whether you convert it to text or store it as handwriting/pen strokes. It also does this well for equations that can often get messy. It also uses a wacom digitizer and pen, so it's a decent tool for drawing, etc too.

It's mostly the feel of pen and paper, and the resolution (I write small and neat, on grid paper) that are holding me back from moving to a digital note taking setup.

Musician

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Try Lecture Notes for iPad. It allows you to type text and include drawable formulas into your text string.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
However, if one feels one MUST go digital - and this is going to sound like a sacrilege here at MacRumors.com - the Samsung Note products (I have a Note 8.0) are actually quite nice. They do pretty good handwriting recognition, the S-Pen plus digitizer doesn't pick up any wrist input so it's much better than an iPad with rubber stylus, and the writing point is much finer.

I tried and tried the Note 8 -- used the built-in app and LectureNotes (which is pretty good). It's nowhere as easy to use (for me) as the iPad Mini with an Adonit stylus and Notes Plus. On the iPad, you can very easily write a page that looks exactly like the page of a real notebook, with small lines and a lot of handwriting. This looks very nice -- people are really pleased when I send them letters this way, as they're much more personal than one typed on a computer or other device. On the Note 8, while the stylus works well, it's not possible to make the writing look as nice as on the Mini -- and I also found it was harder to use. For me, writing on the Mini is no harder than on a piece of paper. For some reason, my handwriting looks a lot nicer on the Mini.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I'm an engineering student at UMass Dartmouth. I find Notability on my mini is great for taking notes. I use it exclusively over pen and paper in my CIS class and my math class. I can draw charts and graphs easily, then zoom in and out for fine printed labels/text, then I back them up to google drive. It's perfect for the size.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't really see it happening. Especially with the speed of certain lecturers I feel the interface of zooming and scrolling around will end up causing issues.

Now you may want to consider the Jot Script pen - I have no idea if it works well, but if it does it could be exactly what you are looking for. It is a bit pricey at $75, but it is bluetooth 4.0 and has an accelerometer used to improve accuracy.

Might want to wait for reviews though.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Wait, don't tell me, the answers will be;

1. A Mini will be fine for note taking.
2. A Mini will be too small for note taking.

1 :)

My iPad mini actually replaced my Moleskine for most notetaking tasks.
Especially with a (adonit) pen it's really easy.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I'm an engineering student at UMass Dartmouth. I find Notability on my mini is great for taking notes. I use it exclusively over pen and paper in my CIS class and my math class. I can draw charts and graphs easily, then zoom in and out for fine printed labels/text, then I back them up to google drive. It's perfect for the size.

In math class i just take picture of the blackboard with my iphone

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I've already posted this a couple times, but screw it- here it is again. Just as an aside– maybe you could do a little more searching before bringing this repeated thread up. Anyway, I've included some biochem, anatomy, and physics notes that I took a little while back. Calculations, equations, chemical structures- all easy once you get used to it. On to my opinion...

I LOVE my iPad mini. I have all my college textbooks on it (purchased via Aamzon or scanned), take all my notes on it, and game and surf on it when I'm bored. Ok, so the screen isn't Retina, but it's still a great screen. I mirror what a bunch of people have already said: readability of textbooks is fine, I don't have to "constantly zoom in and out" like other "users" do. I posit that these "users" probably don't have minis, are hard of seeing (not being rude), or are whiners (being slightly rude). I user PDF Expert to keep all my books and school material (syllabi, ppts which I've converted to PDF, etc.) on my mini with PDF Expert's excellent Dropbox syncing (other PDF software also has Dropbox syncing). I use the new Jot Pro by Adonit (with sound dampening tip purchased from Amazon) to take ALL my class notes. I don't use paper at all anymore, and by following Lifehacker's posts on keeping your computer linked to Dropbox, whenever I'm on my Retina Macbook Pro, all my files are synced in the background.

iPad mini + the Jot Pro + Lifehacker's Dropbox info + PDF Expert = Awesome.

BTW, I have the 16GB mini wifi, as I use my iPhone's wifi hotspot when I'm not at home or school, which both have wifi. Also, I can even fit the iPad mini in the front pocket of my jeans! I wear Express Kingston classic straight leg jeans- so they're not skinny jeans, nor are they baggy jeans.

Personally, I've used the iPad 4 and I just think it's WAY too bulky and heavy. The mini is the iPad Apple should've released from the beginning.

From someone who uses his mini for at least 5 hours a day- many times 7-10 hours a day, I am super happy I bought it! Hope this help dude. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

16GB iPad Mini Wifi = Awesome

Hey, were these notes taken in landscape or portrait mode? Just curious haha, they look real neat!

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Hey, were these notes taken in landscape or portrait mode? Just curious haha, they look real neat!

I never use my iPad Mini or my iPad with Retina in any other orientation than landscape. Even for reading, I prefer to have the iPad in landscape. It may just be me, but it seems more comfortable that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.