Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Hi, I am looking to stream MKV files from my computer to my TV and thought the PS3 would be the best option (I am also going to be using the Netflix, Hulu plus and amazon instance video services on it and game a little bit).
Does anyone currently have this setup? Is there any lag? I keep hearing about the Plex player but read on so many forums about people having problems getting it to work properly.
Also, can someone comment on the streaming quality of the ps3 vs. dedicated boxes like the roku?
Thanks a lot.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I used to do it, but I had many issues, the PS3 lags and I hate the UI for a large library.

Get the $79 Roku box and it will do everything you want, Plex is the way to go, It is not hard to set up, and it works flawless. I have it running for about a year now, Set it up once (when I install it) and I had never touch it again, it does everything for me by itself (meta data, organizing and pushing to all my clients)

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hi, I am looking to stream MKV files from my computer to my TV and thought the PS3 would be the best option (I am also going to be using the Netflix, Hulu plus and amazon instance video services on it and game a little bit).
Does anyone currently have this setup? Is there any lag? I keep hearing about the Plex player but read on so many forums about people having problems getting it to work properly.
Also, can someone comment on the streaming quality of the ps3 vs. dedicated boxes like the roku?
Thanks a lot.

I tried doing this with PS3mediaserver, but it ended up lagging on anything higher quality than like 480p. It won't cache for some reason.

In the end I just formatted a harddrive my TV can read and I just plug that into the TV's USB port whenever I want to play something... it doesn't work with soft subtitles though, so I'm always looking for a better solution.

Greggae512

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
I have been using this just fine for the last couple of months for Blu-ray rips ~ 8GB or so avg file size.

Its being run via power line networking & works fine no lags.
FWIW its being transcoded by my 2011 11" MBA with i7 proc 4GB RAM via external USB 2.0 drive(s).

Agreed interface isn't great but functionally I have had no issues so its functional from my perspective.

That said I'm waiting for the mini to be updated to build a plex media center in place.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I've always used Vuze to do so. You can quickly copy a movie onto the harddrive and then delete it right off after you're done watching it.

Once upon a time I would stream to it, but for some reason one day it stopped being as efficient. I even remember it was the new tron movie that I was watching when it first happened, now 2-3 times later it still does when I stream so I gave up on it.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
PS3 Media Server has been flawless for me. I'm not using wifi though, using wired Cat6 on a gigabit network. I'm able to stream uncompressed Blu-rays in .mkv form without stutter or lag. If your PC can handle the on the fly transcoding and your network can support it, you will have no issues streaming anything to the PS3 (aside from those Cineva protected movies from Sony).

rpenzinger

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Nope. I convert all MKV to MP4 load into iTunes and stream to AppleTV. Flawless and robust. The IVI app automates conversion, tagging and iTunes loading. No brainer. Wouldn't want to do it any other way. Plus I can load it on my iPhone, iPod and iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.