Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Hi all,

I just installed an OWC SSD in my 2012 Mini.

It's been tested externally inside a USB3 enclosure, and it boots fine.

After installation I keep getting the folder with question mark - it can't find the boot disk

I think I know why tho.

When I installed the drive, I noticed the sata connector that's on the plastic that plugs into the logic board keeps popping off really easily if I apply even the slightest pressure on the drive. I assume screwing the wifi module back on did the same thing.

How do I overcome a loose connection to the logic board like this?

Feeling like I have totally b0rked my new mini :(

Scottie

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hi all,

I just installed an OWC SSD in my 2012 Mini.

It's been tested externally inside a USB3 enclosure, and it boots fine.

After installation I keep getting the folder with question mark - it can't find the boot disk

I think I know why tho.

When I installed the drive, I noticed the sata connector that's on the plastic that plugs into the logic board keeps popping off really easily if I apply even the slightest pressure on the drive. I assume screwing the wifi module back on did the same thing.

How do I overcome a loose connection to the logic board like this?

Feeling like I have totally b0rked my new mini :(

Scottie

There is compound that's designed to prevent these cables from popping off as you describe.. It's a hot glue gun that you need to apply it...Google should find it in your area.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Ahh cheers. I will look into it. I got it working by being much more gentle in putting it all back together and gently placing it atop my cupboard where it will serve media around the home. But I'll certainly grab some hot glue, open it up and tighten it up as I don't want it coming loose during operation!

TrikieD

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Before you go glueing in your machine, when I had mine apart I got the impression that the cowling for the fan/air deflector (the bit you have to take out after the fan) is supposed to hold those connectors in place. You could try wedging a little card or something between the cowling and the connectors if there is still too much of a gap.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Are you sure you replaced the drive well seated in and arranged? I've not seen the SATA connection loose like that before but had trouble snapping it in with the 2011 model when the drive wasn't sitting correctly.

hogprint

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2006
Wisconsin
Make sure you haven't ripped the sata socket off the circuit board. I was adding an ssd to my new mini and when removing the ir connections the entire socket pulled off. No ir for me.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Before you go glueing in your machine, when I had mine apart I got the impression that the cowling for the fan/air deflector (the bit you have to take out after the fan) is supposed to hold those connectors in place. You could try wedging a little card or something between the cowling and the connectors if there is still too much of a gap.

Yeah you're right - and there IS STILL a gap. I could certainly place something in between.. but what? Im a bit of a n00b with this sort of thing. What materials are fine to use that won't melt or conduct etc?

Make sure you haven't ripped the sata socket off the circuit board. I was adding an ssd to my new mini and when removing the ir connections the entire socket pulled off. No ir for me.

Yeah I was careful when placing it back in. I tried to remove the fan controller cable, but it was so tight I felt like I was gonna rip the cabling from the socket instead. So I just left it to dangle.

TrikieD

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Yeah you're right - and there IS STILL a gap. I could certainly place something in between.. but what? Im a bit of a n00b with this sort of thing. What materials are fine to use that won't melt or conduct etc?

Try some folded card - say a business card. The important thing is to make sure it can't come loose and jam the fan. No more than you need though - you don't want to affect the airflow in there. That said, you really shouldn't have a problem in the first place. If the connector can pop off then that suggests you either haven't seated it properly or something is pulling it out. The spare space in there is very small so perhaps you've forced something else into place. Once you've got it right then the drive connectors should pretty much just lie above the motherboard sockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.