Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbasmadj

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
I have set up as follows:
-16GB iPhone 5
-32GB iPad Mini

I think this makes a lot of sense because I have set up in the following way. The things that match on both devices are:
-Contacts
-Bookmarks
-Calendars
-Photos
-Music
-Audiobooks
-iBooks
-Notes
-Documents
-Podcasts

16GB should be plenty for that, if you keep your music fresh. It also gives you incentive to keep your music playlists current rather than just a gigantic library that you have on your computer. I select "All photos, All Audiobooks, All Podasts, All iBooks, All Notes, etc., then just Selected Playlists for music." This matches on both the iPad and iPhone. And I just keep a good 10 or so playlists including one really large playlist that is a party mix and I keep them pretty current with fresh music. I also select the downconvert to 256kbps option on syncing for music because my entire library on my computer is lossless FLAC 1000kbps, and the files are pretty large. On a phone or ipad you don't really need lossless music. Unless you are hooking it up to like Bauer and Wilkins speakers lol.

Then, the iPad picks up for movies with the extra doubled space.

It makes a lot of sense and works great for me at least.

You could apply the same staggard setup like 32gb iphone and 64gb ipad if you had higher storage needs.

I just don't see watching movies on the iphone too much, maybe a single one here and there that i could just sync selected and delete after. In fact on my phone sync options for movies I have "sync selected movies" and just haven't selected any. So if i want one there i just go in check the movie I want and sync. Eventually i would just go 64/64 and match everything but as you work your way up and arent a billionaire yet this is good in the interim.

Last edited:

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I have a 16. After 8 months I still have 9+ GB still available.
Myth: "Apps take up a lot of room"
Only if you're an 'App Hoarder'. Most people have a very colorful screen with hundreds (if not a thousand) apps. They typically cannot find the one I ask about and they typically only use maybe 15 of them.
Fact: Of the 16 Gb the OS is going to take a couple of GB.
I have a ton of photos, a few videos (I use the mini for business) and I have been at 9+ GB AVAILABLE since I got the thing.

Unless you are going to load it with music & movies, don't worry about memory. Dropbox is where most of your stuff should be stored anyway.

Yeah, I have started to figure this out. I do use dropbox, and google drive for documents which is really nice. I've downloaded nearly two dozen apps, and still have over 10 GB of space left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.