Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
So tomorrow I'm supposed to be making a trade. My Mac Pro for this guys MacBook Pro. First off, I'll start with specs.

Mac Pro (1,1)
Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.0 GHz
6GB DDR2 RAM
2 x 1 TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
Max OS: Mac OS X Lion

MacBook Pro (6,2)
15" Antiglare High resolution display
Dual Core Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
NVidia GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
Max OS: Current

I'm trading my Mac Pro and one of my two Samsung 23" LED displays with it. Do you think this is a fair trade? He wants a desktop, I want a laptop. He has a Mac Pro just like this that went out a few years back that he'd like to have back again, and he said he wants this one because he can swap his hard drives, ram, and AirPort card over to it.

I guess I also didn't like how I'm limited to OS X Lion. It works fine for me, but being unsupported isn't as much fun anymore.

So.... fair trade?

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
I thought so. I thought it over and I'm going through with it. Performance is a little better on the MBP, so I guess I can't complain. It'll be even better with an SSD vs. the stock 5400 RPM HDD.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I would trade the mac pro for the laptop. The laptop is worth significantly more.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Yeah, you got a great trade there. the guy who got the old pro sounds like he was seduced by the idea of a tower.

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
Apparently he has one just like it that "died" on him, and this way he can move all his RAM and HDs over and get back to how he used to work. He verified this by checking with me on the model number, A1186. However, A1186 is shared all the way up to the 8 core 2008 models, which are way better than this MBP. So I'm not sure if he understood this, but hey, I wasn't gonna screw myself over. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.