Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Anyone here a member of Sam's club? There's a laptop they have (not a Mac, waiting it out) that's at a slick price. Unfortunately... They charge an extra 10% for non-members and don't have a monthly charge option. :(
Anyone a member?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
$600 laptop + 10% = $660 + PA 6% sales tax = $700. Laptop is $700 on eBay. :/

----------

Slightly, yeah.

If the price is roughly the same, I would buy it at Sam's Club. With eBay you run the risk of being scammed, not so with Sam's Club.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
If the price is roughly the same, I would buy it at Sam's Club. With eBay you run the risk of being scammed, not so with Sam's Club.

I don't see the point of buying the membership though. Literally, the laptop is the only thing I'd buy there. Unless I used an exploit I found online...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Well, that's how Sams works. Either buy the membership or pay the surcharge.

Agreed. Again, if the price is nearly the same as eBay, why not take advantage of the membership. Even if you don't buy anything else there you won't run the risk of being scammed on eBay.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I don't see the point of buying the membership though. Literally, the laptop is the only thing I'd buy there. Unless I used an exploit I found online...

Surely you know someone that is already a memeber. Friend, family, coworker? Find someone that has a membership and take them with you.

We do it all the time. Well, we're the ones with the membership and we take my wife's family to Sam's and they buy whatever they want and we just swipe our mem card at the register. They really don't care.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My dad has been a member since the 90's. We don't go there to buy electronics though, it's not really the place you go for that.

Oh I disagree. I've bought all kinds of electronics from those type of stores and my last Dell Mini came from Sam's specifically. Costco's return policy, until abused and changed, was unprecedented.

OP, ask your parent's to join.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Oh I disagree. I've bought all kinds of electronics from those type of stores and my last Dell Mini came from Sam's specifically. Costco's return policy, until abused and changed, was unprecedented.

They're already with BJ's.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
The only reason we're members is for the gasoline. Additionally, cheaper (bulk) food/household supplies works wonders also.

I'm pretty sure our savings pay for our membership twofold.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota

I agree. Although you won't get any help from the people selling the electronics there, you can find some good deals on electronics there. Example: there was a Sony iPod/iPhone dock that sells for $199.99 at Target and it was selling for $129.99 at Sam's Club, cheaper than Target had it at any point and less than Amazon.

Also, the food is pretty good; I buy a lot of produce and meats from Sam's Club.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I'm a Sam's Club member. I joined last year, I forgot why, but I've gone less than 5 times. My membership expires in March and I will let it lapse. My mom, for years, had me as the "extra" member on her Costco membership but I hardly ever went. When I got my Sam's Club, she removed me and added my dad but I still have the card - wonder if that would still work? My mom is my "extra" free member, but she doesn't use it either, so that's wasted as well.

Anyway, I live alone and buying in bulk isn't really a money saver for me. Also, the tech/electronics options are limited (for me) that it isn't worth it.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I am a member and use it primarily for the gasoline as well
Pays for the cost of membership for sure, and we buy some things in bulk
Also bought several Christmas gifts there too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.