Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Rain Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Mac as I've been a windows user all my life but decided to take the switch, listening to all the positive reviews by my friends and family members alike. So, I'll be getting my first MacBook Air 13" today and I'm pretty darned excited about it.

The problem I have is that for my scope of work, a 13" laptop would be too small for my daily needs and instead of having a separate CPU at home.. I was thinking of getting an external display and linking it up with my MBA. However, the 27" Apple Thunderbolt display is a little out of my budget and well.. a little too big for my comfort.

I'm not really good with computer configurations but I just wanted to ask you guys if there were any good external monitors (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc) that you would recommend for a MBA. I'm looking at getting a 20" or so external monitor but am just worried about it's compatibility with a Macbook.

Thanks again in advance and I really appreciate all the help guys :)

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I have a 2012 13" Air, 4GB RAM. Works fine with a 27" Dell U2713H 'PremierColor' monitor. There is a 24" version.

Be careful with the lower quality end of Dell monitor range, they often have problems with excessive backlight bleed. The higher end 'PremierColor' series are much less affected, far as I can tell, mine is fine.

I think all the 'PremierColor' monitors have a Display Port connection, and come with a Display Port to Mini-Display Port cable, so they can plug straight into a ThunderBolt port. Not all 3rd party versions of that cable work so well.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I recommend one of the Dell Ultrasharp displays. They're available in different sizes and the 27" models cost about 2/3 of the Thunderbolt display, while at the same time being more useful with other devices (don't forget that you can use the Thunderbolt display with Apple computers only).

The display quality is on-par with the Thunderbolt display, if not even better.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The display quality is on-par with the Thunderbolt display, if not even better.

The U2713H has a beautiful picture, very happy with it. It also has a great anti-glare coating, best I have seen.

Got mine on sale for 30% off, direct from Dell, delivered to my doorstep. :)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just about any monitor should be compatible if you have the correct adaptor. I've been using an 23" Apple Cinema HD Display that I originally bought for my PowerMac G5 back around 2004. Still looks great. All I needed was a miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter that I got at Best Buy.

boycecodd

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013

The Rain Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it! After reading through numerous reviews and suggestions.. I've decided to go with the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM as it was the most affordable monitor, at least to me.

Now the only issue that I'm having is whether to get a Mini-DP to DVI or Mini-DP to VGA to ensure the best performance. I'm not sure on the difference between DVI and VGA.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it! After reading through numerous reviews and suggestions.. I've decided to go with the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM as it was the most affordable monitor, at least to me.

Now the only issue that I'm having is whether to get a Mini-DP to DVI or Mini-DP to VGA to ensure the best performance. I'm not sure on the difference between DVI and VGA.

You want DVI..

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I'm surprised that so many people buy displays for their laptops. I thought the point of a laptop was its portability, that it isn't tied to a desk and monitor/display. I use mine all around the house and occasionally at the local coffee shop.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I'm surprised that so many people buy displays for their laptops. I thought the point of a laptop was its portability, that it isn't tied to a desk and monitor/display. I use mine all around the house and occasionally at the local coffee shop.

Best of both worlds. For example there are times when I want a number pad.
So using a full size keyboard and mouse on my desk it's great. Also it's enjoyable to have a BIG screen to browse the web or just sit and watch a movie/game. Yes bigger is better.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Best of both worlds. For example there are times when I want a number pad.
So using a full size keyboard and mouse on my desk it's great. Also it's enjoyable to have a BIG screen to browse the web or just sit and watch a movie/game. Yes bigger is better.

I use mine to watch a movie sometimes as well. Hook it up to my Sony Bravia TV for that as at 40 inches, that's bigger than most monitors.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I thought the point of a laptop was its portability, that it isn't tied to a desk and monitor/display.

It isn't *tied" to a desk, I can still use my MBA anywhere I want. But it's powerful enough to be my primary computer and I don't want to be limited by the small screen and keyboard.

Either you have enough money to buy a separate desktop and laptop machine, or you just don't use professional software that requires a large screen to be productive. Vectorworks, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro can all be used on my 11" MBA, but they work a lot better on a big screen. :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007

Some people require external displays and a keyboard/mouse to do their real work, but still need the ability to take the machine (and their work) with them on the go.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Sorry to resurrect and older thread but I'm considering a new monitor and had a question about connectors:

I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable I've just bought - would that be just as good as the DVI connector, or is there an advantage of using the DVI ?

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
I'm using a 23" LG monitor with 1080p resolution (IPS/LED), connected with my Mid-2012 Air 13.3" by an HDMI-to-MiniDisplayPort cable, and the performance is abysmal.

Lots of lag, the fans turn on frequently, especially if watching Netflix on one screen or the other.

If you use clamshell mode, the lag on mouse is unbearable, so you have to leave it open, and mirror displays and dim the laptop's display.

Not a fan. The Air is really underpowered when powering another display.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Sorry to resurrect and older thread but I'm considering a new monitor and had a question about connectors:

I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable I've just bought - would that be just as good as the DVI connector, or is there an advantage of using the DVI ?

I can't say about advantage/disadvantages, if it works that's all that should matter! I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP. I tried using Apple's mini-display port to DVI adapter and couldn't get a signal to the monitor. Fortunately the monitor has multiple ports, one being a display port. So for $6 I got a mini-displayport to displayport cable from monoprice.com. Tried it and it works like a charm.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable I've just bought - would that be just as good as the DVI connector

I found the following, related to the Intel HD4000 chipset that the MBA 2012 has:
"Intel graphics does not support dual-link, therefore 1920x1200 is the maximum for DVI and HDMI, 2560x1440 is only possible with a displayport port"
(source: https://communities.intel.com/message/189170)

So it seems there's no difference between thunderbolt-to-DVI and thunderbolt-to-HDMI.

oaltun

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
I found the following, related to the Intel HD4000 chipset that the MBA 2012 has:
"Intel graphics does not support dual-link, therefore 1920x1200 is the maximum for DVI and HDMI, 2560x1440 is only possible with a displayport port"
(source: https://communities.intel.com/message/189170)

So it seems there's no difference between thunderbolt-to-DVI and thunderbolt-to-HDMI.

To plug a 2560x1440 (27'' or above) monitor, you would need a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Which means it will occupy both a usb and thunderbolt port. This is precisely the reason I'm thinking about selling my superb Samsung IPS monitor to buy a thunderbolt Apple monitor. It occupies too many ports, it's a hassle every time to plug in and out, and half of the time you have a snowy screen, so you would need to turn off & on until you get a clear screen.

Redbull916

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Brighton, UK
I use a 42" Samsung 1080p LED TV linked via VGA adapter.

I did use it in clamshell mode because of the issues with the inability to use full screen apps in dual screen mode, but now I'm on mavericks this has been addressed.
There's no lag and it works great.

McSh5

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
I just got a 27" 2650x1440 monitor yesterday and hooked it up to my 2011 MBA (Intel 3000) directly via Displayport.

It looks beautiful. However, there does seem to be some serious occasional lag going on. Windowserver is idling at 6% and pegs up near 30% when moving and opening windows.

Is my MBA choking trying to draw such a high resolution? Anything I can do to help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.