Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I might upgrade to an iphone 5 in a month or so and was wondering if my current iphone 4 would have any value to someone from the US. I live in Japan and my iPhone is on the Softbank network.

If I do choose to sell it, what is the best way to prepare it? I would just need to take out the SIM card and restore it to the original factory settings?

Thanks...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
You've to make sure it's unlocked first, so that it can be used on any foreign networks.

Then just erase all content and settings so it will be like new. Also double-check to make sure things like your Apple ID and iMessages are completely gone and nothing in calenders, contacts is left for safety measure.

Then I think you should be fine.:)

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
You've to make sure it's unlocked first, so that it can be used on any foreign networks.

Then just erase all content and settings so it will be like new. Also double-check to make sure things like your Apple ID and iMessages are completely gone and nothing in calenders, contacts is left for safety measure.

Then I think you should be fine.:)

Thanks for the reply. I've never got into unlocking or jailbreaking an iPhone. Is unlocking it "legal" as compared to jailbreaking? From what I understand, if a phone is jailbroken, Apple will not support it. Is it easy to unlock it? Would I do that or the service provider would need to do that?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I've never got into unlocking or jailbreaking an iPhone. Is unlocking it "legal" as compared to jailbreaking? From what I understand, if a phone is jailbroken, Apple will not support it. Is it easy to unlock it? Would I do that or the service provider would need to do that?

Unlocking the phone is not the same as jailbreaking the phone. It merely "unlocks" the phone so that it can used for other service provider, so the phone will not be tied to Softbank only. However, some phones may already be unlocked, so I'm not sure for your case.

You can do it on your own, but I will leave someone with unlocking experience to guide you. Or you can try asking your service provider if you want to also.

That's all I can help you with. Gambatte kudasai!:)

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Unlocking the phone is not the same as jailbreaking the phone. It merely "unlocks" the phone so that it can used for other service provider, so the phone will not be tied to Softbank only. However, some phones may already be unlocked, so I'm not sure for your case.

You can do it on your own, but I will leave someone with unlocking experience to guide you. Or you can try asking your service provider if you want to also.

That's all I can help you with. Gambatte kudasai!:)

Arigatou :)

I understand that they are different, I just wanted to see if unlocking was legal. Even if it's unlocked, would my phone (from Softbank) be compatible on some networks due to the hardware? So, if I do get it unlocked, if I sell it on ebay, I should definitely advertise that it was on the Softbank network in Japan and I'm not sure what networks it might work on elsewhere in the world?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.