Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Creating small partitions with Disk Utility (or not) on 2012 iMac

Has anyone else tried to create a small partition on a Fusion Drive on a 2012 Mac?

Disk Utility greys out the box to set my own file size, only allowing me to drag the graphic to set the size of the new partitions. This results in the smallest partition allowed of 67GB. Post paritioning, it actually achieves a partition of 120+ Gigs.

That's crazy. I only need it to hold 100MB of files.

Is everyone else finding the same thing? Anyone got any suggestions or has anyone found a third party tool that non-destructively allows you to create a partition on a Fusion Drive?
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:42 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
There is no third party App which you can use, Apple is for now the only one which can partition the drive without loosing data.(non destructive)
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Can I ask why you want to create a small partition?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Need a small NTFS partition for this - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508618
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5
hfg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Need a small NTFS partition for this - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1508618
If you read further down on that same thread, there is an alternate method of installing Windows to an external drive which does not require any modifications to your OS X drive (Fusion or not).

See post #47 there.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:21 AM   #6
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
If you read further down on that same thread, there is an alternate method of installing Windows to an external drive which does not require any modifications to your OS X drive (Fusion or not).

See post #47 there.
I don't have access to an existing 64 bit Windows machine in order to do it, sadly.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Actually, having thought about it a bit more... Could I use that method by creating a normal boot camp installation with an unactivated 64 bit copy of Windows (the evaluation copy would presumably work) on the hard drive and just vape it after getting Windows 8 on the SSD?

I actually have managed to use terminal commands to create the small partition now, but it still seems to have sacrificed far more HD space that it should have done.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:21 AM   #8
hfg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I don't have access to an existing 64 bit Windows machine in order to do it, sadly.
I was able to use a VMware Fusion virtual Windows 7 installation to perform the drive preparations. I did not have access to a true Windows PC either.

I was able to get that method of creating an external Windows SSD working. However I am not using it currently because I was unable to get my VMware Fusion virtual Windows to locate the bootable external drive and install the VM to that image, probably because it wasn't in the OS X boot manager. I really like to have a single Windows installation which I can access either as a virtual machine from OS X, or as a bootable OS for games.

----------

Quote:
Actually, having thought about it a bit more... Could I use that method by creating a normal boot camp installation with an unactivated 64 bit copy of Windows (the evaluation copy would presumably work) on the hard drive and just vape it after getting Windows 8 on the SSD?

I actually have managed to use terminal commands to create the small partition now, but it still seems to have sacrificed far more HD space that it should have done.
That would probably work, however you will probably have to delete "vape " that image before you will be able to complete the installation on the external drive.

When I tried that, I could see either Windows boot-option at startup, but whichever one I selected always seemed to end up running my existing BootCamp partition, rather than the external drive. Moving the external Thunderbolt drive to a computer that didn't have a Windows BootCamp installation allowed the prepped drive to complete the installation and it ran normally.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Just to confirm, this did work (I deleted the boot camp partition after copying over the image but before installing, as suggested).

I had a few issues getting the boot sector to copy over from the image as per the link - it didn't seem to like being connected via Thunderbolt, but I switched it to USB3 and it worked fine, and then switched back to using a Thunderbolt cable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac