Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I'm new to Teamviewer.
It's installed on my Mini, with a permanent password, set to open at login.
When I restart my Mini, it starts as instructed.
However, when I quit manually and try to restart, it asks for my admin password.
Is this normal or should I be wary of something?

Also, there are some peculiarities that started ever since I set my permanent password.
1) My HP printer is making those preparatory noises like when you try to print something. This happens about twice a day when the Mini is idle.

2) Today I noticed that my desktop background was blank, which is usually the case when I remotely control my Mini.

I immediately checked TVW, no connections. Then, I quit TVW and it was back to normal.

Does this mean someone was remotely connected?

Can someone give me a hand?
PS= My session pass is set at "Very secure 10 characters" and I never shared my permanent pass with anybody.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How exactly did you install TeamViewer? Are you launching it from your /Applications folder or from the .dmg you downloaded?

Are you sure it's asking for your Mac's admin password, or another password you set in TeamViewer?

You should re-check all your TeamViewer preferences. If that doesn't help, try uninstalling/reinstalling TeamViewer.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I downloaded it from their website though when I clicked download, it took me to Cnet.com and installed.
The app is in a folder named "Teamviewer 7" in my Applications folder.

It's definitely asking for the admin password.

Last edited:

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
GGJstudios,

I followed your advice and did an uninstall. Then went to their website which took me to cnet.com for download.
I redownloaded and when I tried to install, my OS asked for my admin pass, which is normal, but after that TVW asked for my admin pass again.
I cancelled install, called TVW hotline and they asked me to send my logfiles, but I don't have any since I uninstalled previously.

Then, I tried reinstall again, this time TVW didn't ask for the admin pass and worked like a charm.

Now, when I go to preferences and check the "Start with system" box, it asks for my admin pass once more.

What could the reason be for this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Now, when I go to preferences and check the "Start with system" box, it asks for my admin pass once more.

What could the reason be for this?
What version of Mac OS X are you running?
Are you logged in as an admin user?
In TeamViewer > Preferences > Advanced > TeamViewer Settings (near the bottom) > Protect preferences with password (do you have a password set? Do you have "Changes require administrative privileges on this computer" checked?

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
What version of Mac OS X are you running?
Are you logged in as an admin user?
In TeamViewer > Preferences > Advanced > TeamViewer Settings (near the bottom) > Protect preferences with password (do you have a password set? Do you have "Changes require administrative privileges on this computer" checked?

Leopard 10.5.8
Logged in as admin user
No password set
Box is not checked.

(I'm 100% positive about the admin pass, because the UI states my Mac OS user name, not the TVW one)

BTW; While Teamviewer > Preferences > Start TVW with System option at TVW preferences requires the admin pass, "Open at login" at the app shortcut on the dock doesn't.

Another thing is, this may sound funny, as long as TVW is on, the printer turns itself on even though I shut it down manually.

I'm trying to give my observations to narrow down the field. Hope I'm not making it more complicated for you.

Thank you for your time & concern.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
A reinstall solved the printer problem.

Teamviewer > Preferences > Start TVW with System option at TVW preferences requires the admin pass, "Open at login" at the app shortcut on the dock doesn't.

That is also confirmed. IMHO; this is something Teamviewer needs to correct. Until then I'll stick to "Open at login"

cmdawson

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Any update? having same issue here

I'm also having this issue and have tried all the above steps to resolve with no luck. (Even repairing permissions has not helped...)

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I have the same experience...every time I start it up it asks for my admin password no matter what I do...

cmdawson

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Same here

Any updates from anyone on this? I have been annoyed by this for a while now too...

FYI - I did do a "Repair permissions" on my disk but this did not help, so still looking like an issue for them to correct.

grafkaal

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Still no change!

TV starts with no "enter password" prompt when I start up my Mac (Start TeamViewer with system - checked) but as soon as I try and start it when the machine is on up pops the "Type your password to allow TeamViewer to make changes." box again! I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seem to work.
My major problem with it is - if I forgot to start TV before I go to work I have no way of tuning it on remotely because of the "enter password" box!
I can use ssh and run the terminal command "open -a teamviewer" but then cannot enter password to complete the process (unless someone out knows how I can), I even tried to make an Automation app that entered the password and clicked OK, but no, Automation would not enter the password! I can use the ssh terminal command "sudo reboot" but that is such a pain!
Any help would be very much appreciated! Applescript to fill the securityAgent fields perhaps?

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
I have resolved this problem by installing the Teamviewer 6 full version on the MBA 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.