Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
What a huge disappointment today's launch was. SJ must be spinning in his grave about how far mighty Apple has fallen.

What would have stunned the market and made customers happy would have been a new iPhone with a 4.7" IGZO screen. Instead we got the same screen wrapped in crayola colored plastic. The door is wide open now for the competition to be the first to launch IGZO because it will be a year before the iPhone 6 comes out. And Apple will be playing catch up instead of leading.

Apple also needs to replace iTunes with something better for moving files into and out of the iPhone. I know people who moved to Android because they were frustrated with iTunes. With Samsung, for instance, you can put files on an SD card and drop it into the phone.

Elvis Costello should have played "Less Than Zero" as this year's Apple theme song.

Spent about an hour trying to get some MP3's onto a friends iPad because she couldn't figure it out. I would really love it if they just had a box you drag files into, then the phone or software can soft it out or whatever.

All she wanted to do was put a few mp3's on the device for her studies.

Macomatic

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Thank you, but I'm very well aware of what image capture does, as I use it every day, as I mentioned.

There are better ways to handle moving your files, as you find iTunes cumbersome, which I agree with. Books can be handled via iBooks, Kindle, or other ereading apps which all sync via the cloud, you can take that off your list. Photos from your professional camera can also be sent to your iDevice through photostream and iPhoto very easily. I'm a professional photographer and use the DropBox app, which is a very seamless experience. I haven't used iTunes for photo transfer in years.

The only one you mentioned which is more difficult is videos. That cannot be handled by iCloud, but presumably Apple will open AirDrop to work between Macs and iDevices which would basically eradicate all your issues above. Until then, you could use DropBox, or continue to deal with iTunes.

Still, videos aside, there are better ways to handle transferring data than it seems like you're used to doing, and by the sound of it, you're looking for better ways. I encourage you to use the methods above.

Thank you very much for your constructive suggestions. But they all seem to involve uploading stuff over an internet connection to an icloud server somewhere else in the world just to download it into a device which is literally right next to the source. That's really inefficient (slow and uses my precious limited bandwidth). Additionally, I process my RAW photos in Adobe Lightroom so you are suggesting that I have to export them and then reimport them into iPhoto (or iTunes) to put them on the iDevice. An extra time- and diskspace consuming step.

The videos I put on my 64 GB iPad are often several GB in size. So putting them in a Dropbox folder to sync over the internet would be really slow and also exceed the size of a free Dropbox.

To me it should be as easy as dragging and dropping files via the Finder from the Mac to the iDevice. In the settings on the iDevice there should be a configurable link to a folder for that particular kind of content, e.g. Photos folder, Videos folder, etc. with named subfolders. I don't have an Android device so I am not sure how they do it. But I am guessing that it is that simple, without any need for an iTunes-like program. (Can somebody say?)

Maybe this what Jailbreaks are good for? To make iDevices work logically?

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
What a huge disappointment today's launch was. SJ must be spinning in his grave about how far mighty Apple has fallen.

What would have stunned the market and made customers happy would have been a new iPhone with a 4.7" IGZO screen. Instead we got the same screen wrapped in crayola colored plastic. The door is wide open now for the competition to be the first to launch IGZO because it will be a year before the iPhone 6 comes out. And Apple will be playing catch up instead of leading.

Apple also needs to replace iTunes with something better for moving files into and out of the iPhone. I know people who moved to Android because they were frustrated with iTunes. With Samsung, for instance, you can put files on an SD card and drop it into the phone.

Elvis Costello should have played "Less Than Zero" as this year's Apple theme song.

Yuh, 'cause Apple's totally the company that only cares about being

FIRST!!!1!!lolsamsungwatch

----------

Some thoughts...

I think the "s" this year was going to be security, but then NSA news drip made that a no-go. I think the finger print sensor was going to be THE big deal, but probably bombed in focus group tests.

The move to colors is smart.

Keeping the same size and form factor is incredibly bad news--if entirely expected, as well. Apple is NOT ok and you can ask any teenager to confirm. The iPhone 5 has been a disaster for the company, despite what Apple is claiming publicly. Note the iPhone 5 release and go do a historic chart of Apple's stock price if you want some support for this claim. iPhone 5 is not solely to blame, but a bland and boring flagship product caused many people to lose their interest in Apple as a company. The 5s just confirms suspicions all the more. No edginess, no innovation, and fear of risk taking. Apple needed a bigger phone last year, and they desperately need one today.

iOS 7 looks like it's meant for teenage girls, so I'm not excited personally, but maybe the playful exuberance will hold some people's interest.

Over the last few years Apple has stopped giving a fark. They're run by super wealthy people who care more about securing a revenue stream than shipping an amazing product.

So we should ask a teenager about how good the iPhone is and look at stocks and not sales?? And are we talking about the same operating system you just mentioned is no good amongst teenagers yet is made for them?

Actually keeping the same size is a good thing and don't even talk about form factor if you know nothing about design.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thank you very much for your constructive suggestions. But they all seem to involve uploading stuff over an internet connection to an icloud server somewhere else in the world just to download it into a device which is literally right next to the source. That's really inefficient (slow and uses my precious limited bandwidth). Additionally, I process my RAW photos in Adobe Lightroom so you are suggesting that I have to export them and then reimport them into iPhoto (or iTunes) to put them on the iDevice. An extra time- and diskspace consuming step.

The videos I put on my 64 GB iPad are often several GB in size. So putting them in a Dropbox folder to sync over the internet would be really slow and also exceed the size of a free Dropbox.

To me it should be as easy as dragging and dropping files via the Finder from the Mac to the iDevice. In the settings on the iDevice there should be a configurable link to a folder for that particular kind of content, e.g. Photos folder, Videos folder, etc. with named subfolders. I don't have an Android device so I am not sure how they do it. But I am guessing that it is that simple, without any need for an iTunes-like program. (Can somebody say?)

Maybe this what Jailbreaks are good for? To make iDevices work logically?

GoodReader app for iPhone or iPad + GoodReaderUSB app for the Mac.

Or iExplorer / iFunbox for the Mac

Macomatic

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
GoodReader app for iPhone or iPad + GoodReaderUSB app for the Mac.

Or iExplorer / iFunbox for the Mac

Fantastic haruhiko! That's just the kind of software I need until Apple replaces iTunes, which will probably be a long time. Many thanks for your suggestions.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Seems like too many people are just settling on this as being the maturity of a smartphone. With all of the smart people working there, and huge amount of resources, you can not tell me that this is all they can come up with. It isn't about building "insanely great" products anymore. It is about building good enough products that make lots of cash.

----------

There is NO innovation that's why.

there is some innovation, there is some dead weight in the smartphone market right now though, but Fingerprint scanner, and a extremely good smartphone camera is pretty innovative, even if minor...

apple DOES make great products contrary to "popular" belief

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Fantastic haruhiko! That's just the kind of software I need until Apple replaces iTunes, which will probably be a long time. Many thanks for your suggestions.

GoodReader has been my solution to the lack of a files app on the iOS for these few years and it handles pdf files particularly well (and you can annotate the PDFs). Basically it can handle most of the files you throw at it, including zip files. The GoodReaderUSB utility for Mac and PC supports drag and drop files to the app which is really convenient.

harlemexplosion

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Yuh, 'cause Apple's totally the company that only cares about being

FIRST!!!1!!lolsamsungwatch

----------

So we should ask a teenager about how good the iPhone is and look at stocks and not sales?? And are we talking about the same operating system you just mentioned is no good amongst teenagers yet is made for them?

Actually keeping the same size is a good thing and don't even talk about form factor if you know nothing about design.

Nah. They don't really care about BEING first.... they do care about CLAIMING to be first. They did get some things first a lot of times in the past, but now, they are just offering that illusion because they have built their fanbase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.