Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
I can connect to my iPhone hotspot, but only after manually selecting it. Every time I turn on my hotspot and then my Mac, it doesn't automatically recognize my iPhone, like it does my network at home, even though I pushed it up to #2 on my network preferences list. Anybody have any idea why this is and what can be changed to make it auto-recognize my iPhone network?

As it is, I have to hold my hotspot screen open on my iPhone, then have to go to the Mac, wait for my iPhone's network to (slowly) add itself to the list of nearby networks, and then manually select it.

This isn't the end of the world, but it should auto-recognize this known network from my phone, as its used it dozens of times. And my Phone shouldn't require me to stay on the hotspot screen before it gives off the signal. The whole thing is way too slow.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
Try moving it to #1 and make use of Locations?

Thanks for answering--okay I I'll try out moving it to #1 to see if it connects faster, but I am a bit worried it will connect to the iPhone network when I'm at home, using up cell data it doesnt need to use, in case I forget to turn off the hotspot which I sometimes do.

What do you mean by make use of locations? I don't see where that would be.

Thanks again.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I only use the hotspot infrequently (when our ISP is down), but I have noticed sometimes the hotspot network will disconnect and then not appear in the list of networks. Tinkering usually gets it back, but that gets tiresome. In my case, I only need one computer hooked up to the hotspot, so now I just use USB tethering for the hotspot. That stays connected 100%. It may not be a good solution for you, though.

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
I only use the hotspot infrequently (when our ISP is down), but I have noticed sometimes the hotspot network will disconnect and then not appear in the list of networks. Tinkering usually gets it back, but that gets tiresome. In my case, I only need one computer hooked up to the hotspot, so now I just use USB tethering for the hotspot. That stays connected 100%. It may not be a good solution for you, though.

Well, maybe I should try that, come to think of it. I use it every day during my morning and afternoon commutes, so getting this working in an optimal way is important to me but whatever works. I probably would find it worth the hassle of using a cord, compared to the problems I encounter getting wifi to work. Thanks

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Thanks for answering--okay I I'll try out moving it to #1 to see if it connects faster, but I am a bit worried it will connect to the iPhone network when I'm at home, using up cell data it doesnt need to use, in case I forget to turn off the hotspot which I sometimes do.

What do you mean by make use of locations? I don't see where that would be.

Thanks again.

You can edit it for "hotspot" and use only for your phone, name it "home" for when you are at home, and "work" if you use it at work.

When you get it setup, hit the Apple, Locations, and chose which one you want.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 9.19.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 9.19.51 PM.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 454

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
You can edit it for "hotspot" and use only for your phone, name it "home" for when you are at home, and "work" if you use it at work.

When you get it setup, hit the Apple, Locations, and chose which one you want.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, and uploading a pic.

I think I follow what you mean, mostly, so what I did is Edit location, add one, call it "hotspot" and selected Advanced. Since I didn't see what Apple you told me to hit in the network box you uploaded a pic of, I just hit apply.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Every time I shut the computer into sleep, when I open it again, the Mac fails to connect to my iPhone network. And I still have to open my setteings>personal hotspot pane in my iphone, hold it there for usually over 10 seconds before the Mac will recognize it.

I did follow your earlier advice and move it to the #1 position in my network list but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Thanks again for taking the time to reply, and uploading a pic.

I think I follow what you mean, mostly, so what I did is Edit location, add one, call it "hotspot" and selected Advanced. Since I didn't see what Apple you told me to hit in the network box you uploaded a pic of, I just hit apply.

Unfortunately it still doesn't work. Every time I shut the computer into sleep, when I open it again, the Mac fails to connect to my iPhone network. And I still have to open my setteings>personal hotspot pane in my iphone, hold it there for usually over 10 seconds before the Mac will recognize it.

I did follow your earlier advice and move it to the #1 position in my network list but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You Apple 'start' button. Let me know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 9.20.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 9.20.39 PM.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 302

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
You Apple 'start' button. Let me know.
Oh! Heh.:p I've been using a Mac 11 years and never noticed that. Never messes with locations really because I always just logged into the nearest network I had access to.

So I set up the location and called it Hotspot. Yet it doesn't work. It doesn't even find my phone's network. I had to go to the menu and select automatic. just to get it to recognize like it always has.

This isn't the end of the world. I can still go through the steps of opening up my hotspot password and holding the wifi icon waiting for it to populate. I just wish it would recognize the phone's network as a known network automatically, like it does my home network.

Again, thank you for your help. It's not important enough to spend any more of your time on. I really appreciate your help.

-Jason

----------

The hotspot network I created doesn't seem to be working, but what did work once just now is when I closed the lid for 15 seconds, it automatically connected to my phone network, but using the automatic location, not the one I just made. Maybe so little time has passed it didnt forget it. I'll have to try to see if it works this afternoon when I use the computer again after its been off for a few hours. Thanks again!

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I've never used the HotSpot so, I'm not sure exactly how it works. Might be different than regular wireless hotspots.

Let me know.

Jasonscott71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Northern Virginia
I've never used the HotSpot so, I'm not sure exactly how it works. Might be different than regular wireless hotspots.

Let me know.

Yes it seems to behave a little bit differently. All other wireless hotspots I use and have connected to before, it recognizes automatically.

Well it kinds worked. I did go to settings in my phone and had that open when I woke my computer from sleep, but it did recognize my phone's hotspot right away. Yay! This is the main thing I was looking for. I can deal with having to open settings every time, if it recognizes automatically.

I just dont get it though. It should have happened before. Why did it take creating a location that I still dont use to behave differently? I don't expect you to have an answer, but makes me wonder . . .

Anyway, thank you again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.