Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SGC2.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
So I'm designing a set of videos and animations for a local production of the musical Avenue Q and I have a question about projectors...

I am not the one running the projections during the performances and I would like displaying and running them to be as simple as possible for whatever local volunteer they get to do it. Here is my question:

Is there a way I can get the projector (the second monitor essentially) to only show the full screen videos without showing the UI of the Macbook Pro that they will be running off of?

As of right now, I can't figure out a way for the operator to have the projector show the video that is needed, while being able to queue up the next video in the series without the mouse being moved across the projector screen, and the little quicktime "play/pause" bar and the OSX menu bar from showing up and drawing attention to the screen when I don't want attention drawn to it...

Is the only option to put all of these videos into a powerpoint and setting it to be in presentation mode? I just don't trust powerpoint to play these videos as they are needed without hiccup...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could look into VLC Player and its playlist functions. You might be even able to disable the OSD (On Screen Display) when PLAY or PAUSE is pressed (via Spacebar) or the next clip comes up.

Arrowk127

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
You might want to take a look at software called playback pro from dt video lab. It's a bit expensive at 399 but it takes over the video output of the computer and after being programmed can be triggered by just hitting enter.

SGC2.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies! If I were doing a lot of projection work I would definitely look into Playback Pro, sounds awesome, but at 399 it's too rich for my blood at this time.

I use VLC almost exclusively for my own playback purposes, but I haven't explored the program much, so I'll definitely dive into it and let you know what I find out!

Anyone have any other *ahem* cheap solutions? Even though I seemed dead-set against it...has anyone actually used powerpoint for this purpose? Video playback I mean? Any experience you'd care to share?

Thanks again guys (or gals)

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If you're using a Mac, why would you even consider Powerpoint?? Just use Keynote. It's a thousand times better than Powerpoint and using video is easy in Keynote. Just place each video on its own slide and advance with the arrow keys on the keyboard. And if you're in full screen mode, you'll only see what's on the slide, so if your size is 1920 x 1080 and that matches the projector, all you'll see is the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.