Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
alysiasong
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Manually transferring data to Time Machine backup disk

I've just set up my external hard drive to back up my Macbook Pro via Time Machine. Prior to this, I had to transfer some files from my MB Pro to a portable hdd because my laptop was running out of space.

Ideally, I would like to have ALL my files on one hard drive. Can I transfer those extra files from the portable hdd into the external hdd which I use as a Time Machine backup disk?
alysiasong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
flynz4
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysiasong View Post
I've just set up my external hard drive to back up my Macbook Pro via Time Machine. Prior to this, I had to transfer some files from my MB Pro to a portable hdd because my laptop was running out of space.

Ideally, I would like to have ALL my files on one hard drive. Can I transfer those extra files from the portable hdd into the external hdd which I use as a Time Machine backup disk?
If you do this... they will not get backed up? Are you sure this is something that you would want to do?

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:00 AM   #3
alysiasong
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm not sure what other options there are aside from having to keep my files on separate drives, which makes it harder to keep track of files.

Will it affect Time Machine's backing up if I have my other files in the same hard drive?
alysiasong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
prisstratton
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysiasong View Post

Will it affect Time Machine's backing up if I have my other files in the same hard drive?
The only thing that would be affected would be the total space available for Time Machine backups.

I am using my Time Capsule in a similar fashion to what you have stated. On mine I keep personal files, music, Windows desktop backups etc. But, I have another disk attached to the Time Capsule so that the whole lot is backed up.
__________________
 17" 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7 Quad, 16GB DDR3, Intel 520 240GB SSD
 11" 2012 MacBook Air, 1.7 GHz i5 Duo, 4GB, 128GB
 4th. Gen. iPad, 16GB, WiFi  4th. Gen. TC, 2GB
prisstratton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:12 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysiasong View Post
I'm not sure what other options there are aside from having to keep my files on separate drives, which makes it harder to keep track of files.

Will it affect Time Machine's backing up if I have my other files in the same hard drive?
I am not 100% what you are asking. If you choose to store your files on the same hard drive as your time machine backup... they will not be backed up.

Furthermore.. even if Time Machine could back up those files... they would be backed up onto the same disk... which is kind of pointless since a disk failure would destroy your data and the backup at the same time.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:38 PM   #6
alysiasong
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Thanks for your input guys. All I really needed to know was if it would affect Time Machine's back up if I had other files on the same disk. I can still keep the extra files on the portable hdd, but it's good to have everything available on external hard drive as well.
alysiasong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7
flynz4
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysiasong View Post
Thanks for your input guys. All I really needed to know was if it would affect Time Machine's back up if I had other files on the same disk. I can still keep the extra files on the portable hdd, but it's good to have everything available on external hard drive as well.
The answer is then YES: You can have other files on the TM backup disk and it will not affect backup.

The only caution was that these "other files on the TM backup disk" would not get backed up via Time Machine. If you do not care... then there are no problems.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Time Machine backup a hard disk that is connected to the Time Capsule itself? mariotr87 OS X 1 Nov 7, 2013 09:58 AM
Ejecting Time Machine backup disk Tulani iMac 24 Aug 15, 2013 12:50 PM
Time Machine: The identity of the backup disk has changed since the previous backup Dorv OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 9 Feb 23, 2013 12:45 AM
Is Time Machine the best thing to use when transferring Data from Old Macbook to New sedgeman OS X 4 Jan 4, 2013 08:48 AM
Transferring a time machine backup problem. Boltonic Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Aug 7, 2012 12:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC