Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
alysiasong
macrumors newbie

Manually transferring data to Time Machine backup disk

I've just set up my external hard drive to back up my Macbook Pro via Time Machine. Prior to this, I had to transfer some files from my MB Pro to a portable hdd because my laptop was running out of space.

Ideally, I would like to have ALL my files on one hard drive. Can I transfer those extra files from the portable hdd into the external hdd which I use as a Time Machine backup disk?
alysiasong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysiasong View Post
I've just set up my external hard drive to back up my Macbook Pro via Time Machine. Prior to this, I had to transfer some files from my MB Pro to a portable hdd because my laptop was running out of space.

Ideally, I would like to have ALL my files on one hard drive. Can I transfer those extra files from the portable hdd into the external hdd which I use as a Time Machine backup disk?
If you do this... they will not get backed up? Are you sure this is something that you would want to do?

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:00 AM   #3
alysiasong
macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what other options there are aside from having to keep my files on separate drives, which makes it harder to keep track of files.

Will it affect Time Machine's backing up if I have my other files in the same hard drive?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
prisstratton
macrumors regular

Quote:

Will it affect Time Machine's backing up if I have my other files in the same hard drive?
The only thing that would be affected would be the total space available for Time Machine backups.

I am using my Time Capsule in a similar fashion to what you have stated. On mine I keep personal files, music, Windows desktop backups etc. But, I have another disk attached to the Time Capsule so that the whole lot is backed up.
prisstratton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:12 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm not sure what other options there are aside from having to keep my files on separate drives, which makes it harder to keep track of files.

I am not 100% what you are asking. If you choose to store your files on the same hard drive as your time machine backup... they will not be backed up.

Furthermore.. even if Time Machine could back up those files... they would be backed up onto the same disk... which is kind of pointless since a disk failure would destroy your data and the backup at the same time.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:38 PM   #6
alysiasong
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input guys. All I really needed to know was if it would affect Time Machine's back up if I had other files on the same disk. I can still keep the extra files on the portable hdd, but it's good to have everything available on external hard drive as well.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks for your input guys. All I really needed to know was if it would affect Time Machine's back up if I had other files on the same disk. I can still keep the extra files on the portable hdd, but it's good to have everything available on external hard drive as well.
The answer is then YES: You can have other files on the TM backup disk and it will not affect backup.

The only caution was that these "other files on the TM backup disk" would not get backed up via Time Machine. If you do not care... then there are no problems.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store