Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
The iPhone use this codec to store ringtones. Where can I download the .m4r-codec to use in sound programs such as Adobe Soundbooth?

I´m aware Garage Band has it, but is it available as an extension?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
The iPhone use this codec to store ringtones. Where can I download the .m4r-codec to use in sound programs such as Adobe Soundbooth?

I´m aware Garage Band has it, but is it available as an extension?

It's not a different codec, it's just a different file extension for .m4a/aac

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
It's not a different codec, it's just a different file extension for .m4a/aac

So what do I do to store a file in this extension then? I have already tried renaming an AAC file to m4r. But it didnt appear as a ringtone in iTunes.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
How long was it? iirc, files over ~40 seconds or so get rejected.

And I presume you added the file to itunes after renaming it? rather than renaming a file that was already in itunes.

Alternately, you might be better off having itunes convert it from a aiff or something so the file is written exactly as it expects it, and then reimporting it after renaming it.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
How long was it? iirc, files over ~40 seconds or so get rejected.

And I presume you added the file to itunes after renaming it? rather than renaming a file that was already in itunes.

Alternately, you might be better off having itunes convert it from a aiff or something so the file is written exactly as it expects it, and then reimporting it after renaming it.

Then you presumed correctly Mr. Presumer.

But iTunes cannot "convert to M4R" last time I checked?

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Like I said, I am using Soundbooth for this.
So I save a file of max 40 seconds to AAC, right?
ANd then I rename its file extension to m4r, right?
Then I should simply put it in iTunes, and it will automatically put it in Tones, right?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Like I said, I am using Soundbooth for this.
So I save a file of max 40 seconds to AAC, right?
ANd then I rename its file extension to m4r, right?
Then I should simply put it in iTunes, and it will automatically put it in Tones, right?

Something along those lines should work, but it might be fussy on the exact sort of mp4 container used for the aac file, hence the suggestion to use aiff, and let itunes convert the aac file itself in format it's definitely happy with. I can't recall the exact length limit, but it at least used to be over 30 seconds, and somewhere close to, if not exactly, 40.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Something along those lines should work, but it might be fussy on the exact sort of mp4 container used for the aac file, hence the suggestion to use aiff, and let itunes convert the aac file itself in format it's definitely happy with. I can't recall the exact length limit, but it at least used to be over 30 seconds, and somewhere close to, if not exactly, 40.

Actually, the 40 second thing, seems to come from Garage Band. There you have a ringtone template for the iPhone. And it restricts you to 40 seconds. But it also tells you in a prompt message, that you can lengthen this restriction if you desire. And really, what formats only allow a certain ammount of time to be used? Doesn´t make sense. But anyway, my ringtones are barely 20 seconds.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Actually, the 40 second thing, seems to come from Garage Band. There you have a ringtone template for the iPhone. And it restricts you to 40 seconds. But it also tells you in a prompt message, that you can lengthen this restriction if you desire. And really, what formats only allow a certain ammount of time to be used? Doesn´t make sense. But anyway, my ringtones are barely 20 seconds.

I'd previously experimented and when I last did some any that were longer refused to be picked up by phone when syncing, even if they were accepted up by itunes. This may have changed by now, it was back in ios 4 days I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.