Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:01 PM   #126
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2013 View Post
It's a hit or miss, sometimes I'll get explicit songs, other times I won't. It seems that the Apple TV beta does have an option for enabling explicit songs (or to disable).
I haven't had any songs with explicit lyrics. I would rather it not play the songs at all instead of blanking out parts of the song.
gaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:14 PM   #127
jozeppy26
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthamapheo View Post
wow, that's great. can't wait to use iTunes radio, it'd be the best app ever.
It's actually built into the default Music App on the iPhone. Your iPhone just treats it like it's playing a playlist.

----------

Has anyone been able to figure out the streaming bitrate of iTunes Radio? Is it just 256 kbps like iTunes Plus music? That's what past music purchases from the cloud stream at (or at least I'm assuming)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
It's $25 a year to keep your entire library on every device. Why *wouldn't* you use iTunes Match?
This is only true if your music collection includes a significant amount of non-iTunes purchased files. My library is almost entirely iTunes Plus music.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:44 PM   #128
phairphan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
If the artist writes his/her own stuff and self publishes, they get all of that 14 cents. If they get a million listens they make...$140,000 for one song. Even 1 cent times a million is $10,000. Every penny counts.
If the artist writes his/her own stuff and self publishes, they get all of that .14 cents, not 14 cents. If they get a million listens they make....$1,400 for one song. Time to break out the bubbly, but best make it Champale. Every penny counts, but if you're not counting your pennies correctly you could be getting a lot less than you expected.
phairphan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:44 PM   #129
2IS
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
Why not just pay for your music. Everytime someone plays a song on these phony radio/spotify services, the artist makes about a cent.
Some one will definitely find a way to remove the ads.
You are clearly missing the point of internet radio services.

I pay for all the songs I like, but i use services like Pandora to discover new music. Over half the songs I have paid for through iTunes are songs I head and liked on Pandora that I would likely never have been exposed to otherwise.
2IS is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:05 PM   #130
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfw View Post
A cent? Are you kidding? It takes 7 1/2 plays of a song to make one cent. (.01)
You know how much it takes to make $5,000? 3,846,153 plays.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future as more and more people move to these streaming services or just steal music outright.
"Steel music outright"? Listening to iRadio is in no way related to stealing.

And 4 million listeners ("plays") are not that much to with hundreds of millions of active iOS devices.
Not many bands have the possibility to gain this publicity today.
anomie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:06 PM   #131
Bregalad
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I recommend you go google what Pink Floyd had to say about Pandora, et all.

I've talked to a couple smaller bands. They are big enough to play venues in most big cities and travel the world non-stop playing. They said they are making no money off their music anymore. It's all about getting out there and playing live and getting gate money as well as getting some extra money from merch they sell at shows.

To the extreme, you can read what Metallica wrote. Basically, they have to tour every year or they lose money on their infrastructure of management, attorneys, staff, studio equipment bills, etc..

It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future as more and more people move to these streaming services or just steal music outright.
At least internet streaming companies pay the performers something. US Radio stations pay performers absolutely nothing. Only songwriters get any compensation for radio airplay.

The only people consistently making money in the music business are the labels, managers and producers. The actual performers have rarely been able to make a living. It was true 40 years ago and it's still true today.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:13 PM   #132
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phairphan View Post
If the artist writes his/her own stuff and self publishes, they get all of that .14 cents, not 14 cents. If they get a million listens they make....$1,400 for one song. Time to break out the bubbly, but best make it Champale. Every penny counts, but if you're not counting your pennies correctly you could be getting a lot less than you expected.
You caught my carless oversight and yet didn't berate me for it. What's wrong with you? Seriously, you're an uncommonly decent human being.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:11 PM   #133
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
i'm looking forward to iTunes Radio and iOS 7
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:12 PM   #134
jona2125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Google didn't do it better they took a different approach. Google did a streaming service for $9.99 a month where the user can listen to anything in the Google Music library as they wish.
Apple decided to do the free music discovery service where users are played targeted songs based on music in their library or interest. Apple will pay for the service via adverts and referrals to iTunes store purchases.
Which is why Google did it better? Apple should have used their resources and branched out to their library as well. I find that even more adapted to music discovery. Google has an excellent radio service in that. Apple could have tiered off plans no issue. iTunes match plus or something. I see it happening for sure.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Radio is FAR better for music discovery than an on-demand service - which, in turn, is far better for the artists. Plus, iTunes is going for discovery not your library. They have that in iTunes.

You overestimate the people that would go out and download a third party app when something is built in. That doesn't even account for the fact that Google Music can't go on Apple TV or a home entertainment centre (which can then be broadcast all over the home).

Compared to iTunes, Google Music is, like, child's play.
Google doesn't use just an on-demand service. That's the point I was making. Apple can, and very likely will, do the same thing later. Why they didn't now I don't know. People do like to buy music but a lot more don't hence the popularity of streaming apps. Ads have been a number one complaint. Apple is not doing enough to entice people in my opinion. Its going to sell like hotcakes because its Apple but its very dry. And I never said anything about people needing to switch. They'll go get what they want regardless of integration or not. Its choice based. A lot of people steal music too. Which is another reason to why Apple should have went with on-demand too. Strip the labels off the two services and do the Pepsi challenge with consumers and they'll pick one that gives them the most. I think Google is doing that right now. I know Apple will catch up later. Google even uses a iTunes Match like feature, well the cloud storage bit at a least. They really aren't different. Google just provided more that's all
jona2125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:55 PM   #135
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:

I recommend you go google what Pink Floyd had to say about Pandora, et all.

I've talked to a couple smaller bands. They are big enough to play venues in most big cities and travel the world non-stop playing. They said they are making no money off their music anymore. It's all about getting out there and playing live and getting gate money as well as getting some extra money from merch they sell at shows.

To the extreme, you can read what Metallica wrote. Basically, they have to tour every year or they lose money on their infrastructure of management, attorneys, staff, studio equipment bills, etc..

lol bands have never made real money from their CDs, concerts have always been the moneymakers for the artist, CDs $ are for the companies. THis new model doesn't hurt them at all. At the contrary they could get a few extra bucks, unless people prefer using the service than going to concerts the artist wont really be affected. Bands are always whining to get more money, hell who wouldn't
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:18 AM   #136
Tech198
macrumors 68040

ok so Apples paying .01 cent more ?

Just as long as the content is better..

I love this part "Apple doesn't expect iTunes Radio to generate much ad revenue."

Seems its already lost.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:58 AM   #137
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
ok so Apples paying .01 cent more ?

Just as long as the content is better..

I love this part "Apple doesn't expect iTunes Radio to generate much ad revenue."

Seems its already lost.
Not at all.

The purpose of this streaming service is to introduce people to new music they otherwise wouldn't get exposed to, just like conventional radio. They're seeking to raise click-through sales on the iTunes music store. Even if this service ran in the red (which it won't), it would still be a loss leader from generated sales, so long as purchasing integration is easy.
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:23 PM   #138
jona2125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplanets View Post
Not at all.

The purpose of this streaming service is to introduce people to new music they otherwise wouldn't get exposed to, just like conventional radio. They're seeking to raise click-through sales on the iTunes music store. Even if this service ran in the red (which it won't), it would still be a loss leader from generated sales, so long as purchasing integration is easy.
People sure are paying like crazy for Google's service. gMusic has hit top 15 paid already and that's an incomplete way to access the service. I think Apple has missed the boat by not doing an on-demand service. Purchasing has always been easy as well. Even Pandora took me to iTunes.
jona2125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:59 PM   #139
TH3D4RKKN1GH7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Radio is not even close to dead, it is evolving. Also also your $20 would not be nearly enough to sustain such a service.
My $20 dollars isn't enough to sustain Google Play Music All Access or Spotify? Because that's essentially what I just described. BTW I'm paying for both of those services right now and one carries a monthly fee as low as $7.99.

Radio isn't doing so hot from what I'm hearing, hell many popular stations are struggling to keep the lights on. I work very closely with the music industry, I take label execs at their word. Maybe things are better in the UK. What you call evolving I call the death of the old and the ushering in of the new... Spotify. What you want, when you want it.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:02 AM   #140
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3D4RKKN1GH7 View Post
My $20 dollars isn't enough to sustain Google Play Music All Access or Spotify? Because that's essentially what I just described. BTW I'm paying for both of those services right now and one carries a monthly fee as low as $7.99.

Radio isn't doing so hot from what I'm hearing, hell many popular stations are struggling to keep the lights on. I work very closely with the music industry, I take label execs at their word. Maybe things are better in the UK. What you call evolving I call the death of the old and the ushering in of the new... Spotify. What you want, when you want it.
Yes that is what I am saying and no you are wrong about all the other services. You want a something that will allow every song / album ever made to be able to be streamed 24/7 for as long as little or you like with no restrictions.

NONE of the services offer that, all of them have a finite catalogue and / or restrictions of some kind. Then you need to find a mobile phone provider that offers unlimited internet. Currently only Three who I am with offer it, but their signal sucks...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:58 AM   #141
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeppy26 View Post
A potential negative aspect, however, is the storage size of the device a customer purchases now. With iOS 7 you can stream past purchases seamlessly like its on your device. iTunes radio streams as well (obviously). So why opt for 32gb over 16? Or even 64?
Simple. Internet bandwidth. Tell the majority of ISPs to be less stingy with it then I can buy a 16GB iOS device. Until that day happens, it's 64GB for me all the way.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Actually since the price of the phone before iRadio and after iRadio is unchanged,iRadio is by definition free.
Nope, it just means Apple changed their margins on certain hardware to allow for any cost to upkeep iRadio.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:09 AM   #142
xArtx
macrumors 6502a

Only thing I regret iPhones are missing is a radio,
and after all of this, it still won't have one.
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:17 AM   #143
jozeppy26
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Simple. Internet bandwidth. Tell the majority of ISPs to be less stingy with it then I can buy a 16GB iOS device. Until that day happens, it's 64GB for me all the way.
Your home bandwidth is really that awful? I don't exactly have Google Fiber or anything super fancy but I seem to do all alright with 3.0 MB/s down.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:31 PM   #144
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeppy26 View Post
Your home bandwidth is really that awful? I don't exactly have Google Fiber or anything super fancy but I seem to do all alright with 3.0 MB/s down.
Yes it really is that bad. Not all of us have 3MB/s down. Not every country has fast internet. You need to remember that. And before anyone says "oh but 3MB/s is not fast", it is fast compared to what many people get here. Most people with fast internet fail to have this understanding.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 08:39 AM   #145
snebes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfYourB View Post
Doing nothing?
Who's going to book the venues, make hotel reservations - world wide?
Who's going to haul around the equipment, drive the trucks?
Who's going to negotiate, look after the money?
Remember if you fail, you can lose millions of dollars.

Maybe Lars Ulrich does it in his spare time...
A bands' manager should cover most of that. I don't need a record label to help me when I move. Or to "look after" my money. Or to reserve hotels. And I'm not trivializing these duties, small bands do this on their own ALL THE TIME.
snebes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:55 AM   #146
jozeppy26
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Yes it really is that bad. Not all of us have 3MB/s down. Not every country has fast internet. You need to remember that. And before anyone says "oh but 3MB/s is not fast", it is fast compared to what many people get here. Most people with fast internet fail to have this understanding.
Imagine having Google Fiber internet. It's 125 MB/s. My brain cannot even fathom that speed. lol
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:28 PM   #147
TH3D4RKKN1GH7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Yes that is what I am saying and no you are wrong about all the other services. You want a something that will allow every song / album ever made to be able to be streamed 24/7 for as long as little or you like with no restrictions.

NONE of the services offer that, all of them have a finite catalogue and / or restrictions of some kind. Then you need to find a mobile phone provider that offers unlimited internet. Currently only Three who I am with offer it, but their signal sucks...
I never said every album ever made but to be honest it wouldn't matter if I did. I can stream any song available on Spotify as long as I want without interruptions and download it to my phone and play it without an internet connection for $10 dollars a month. I cannot do that on iTunes Radio. I can also do that on Google Play Music All Access (what a terrible name for a service) AND I get the Radio functionality of Pandora or iTunes Radio and I'm getting that for 7.99 a month.

Apple is giving you Pandora with a more robust skipping system and if you're offline and want to take that music with you their response is "buy the song on iTunes!". Not good enough. They need to stop trying to protect their old revenue stream and get with the times.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 04:51 AM   #148
NoneOfYourB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebes View Post
A bands' manager should cover most of that. I don't need a record label to help me when I move. Or to "look after" my money. Or to reserve hotels. And I'm not trivializing these duties, small bands do this on their own ALL THE TIME.
When you move?
Do you move with several truckloads to a different continent?
Play in front of 50.000 people?

Small bands don't lose millions of dollars if they don't do it right.
NoneOfYourB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion