Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Why would things have suddenly changed? The countless prior threads on GPS nav apps are still valid. I still use TomTom. There's a bit of subjective preference involved in choosing a solution.

well now that there is a navigation system in ios 6 vs stand alone gps apps i think is why he is asking "now that the 5 is out"

just poorly worded

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I love the garmin app

Shows me where all the red light cameras are :). I'm glad I bought it when they had the sale, back then I only had my iPod touch but I knew I was getting the iPhone 5.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Gizmodo (egad!) posted a pretty decent article this morning titled The Best Navigation App for iOS. It compares 4 premium priced navigation apps for iOS: TomTom USA, NAVIGON USA, Garmin USA, and Magellan RoadMate USA. Although the comparison is casual, I actually agree with Gizmodo for once. TomTom has hideous UI and maps and NAVIGON is bloated jack of all trade, master of none.

I have not tried its highest rated app, Magellan RoadMate, but having used other 3 apps, I would say Garmin is superior to TomTom and NAVION as far as a navigation app is concerned (I still can't stomach $20/year traffic data, however, which is why I would stick with NAVIGON).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.