Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:26 AM   #51
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post

Apple users are way more servile than their Android counterparts, because they have no choice; it's either Apple's way or the highway. Conversely, with Android, choice is abundant. If I don't like Google's way, perhaps I can try Samsung's way, LG's way or someone else's way.
Sounds like Windows vs. Mac from the 80s all over again. And we see where that got us. Fragmented hardware. Kludgy, unstable software. Sounds like Android to me (I've owned 6). Poor user experience shoved down our throats for 20+ years by a dominant company that didn't get (or care) what it takes to provide an easy to use, seamless, low maintenance experience for the user.

I think (hope?) the difference now is that, unlike the 80s, the geeks aren't the only ones buying the tech and making corporate IT decisions, and "normal" people rule the day. The stat in this article gives me hope for the future, because it may just illustrate what I think to be the truth: Most people who buy android only do it because it appears to be cheap, but they never really use their smartphones as smartphones. Which, if true means that Google's business model on Android will fail. And that's a good thing.
rdlink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #52
marksman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I feel like the heaviest Android users would be those who root, and the first thing you do when you root is you install an ad-blocker which blocks any connections to servers serving ads. This would block ads in the browser as well as in apps.

I'd like to see stats from Akamai or Google Ads to see how the data compares
Thinking that a significant portion of android phone users do what you claim is just in error. Not hsppening
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:16 AM   #53
tbrinkma
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post
Actually, it would be like saying 'Perhaps my mum doesn't need that Mercedes E-Class to do her once weekly shopping'.

If choice isn't a goal, then why does Apple sell the Air, Pro and iMac in two different sizes? Why does Apple sell any Core i5 when the Core i7 is a better processor? If you need the extra power or you need the extra size, it is available at a premium. This is choice. The best experience is the one which most acquiesces to the user's needs.
Choice *isn't* the goal. The goal is to sell product.

Dell offers hundreds (if not thousands) of choices in order to cover as much of their potential market as possible. Apple offers a small range of choices that they believe cover their target market sufficiently well. Both of these are rational options, and both of them have side-effects which are attractive or unattractive to certain prospective buyers.

Offering a range of choices is one of the *methods* used to increase the number of people willing to buy the products. The 'paradox of choice' (a well-studied phenomenon) shows that when too many choices are available, people take longer to make their choice and are less happy with the choice they've made afterwards.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion