Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
My Macbook Air is exhibiting a number of symptoms consistent with the need to reset the SMC (keyboard backlight erratic, shutting down when closing the lid instead of sleeping). However, I have another problem which seems to render the SMC reset process useless...

I am unable to startup my MB with the power cable attached. It will only boot once it is unplugged and running on battery. The SMC reset process requires the laptop to be plugged in whilst holding down the Shirt-Control-Option & Power buttons. I've tried the process both plugged in and unplugged and neither has any effect. My laptop still shuts down when I close the lid.

Pain in the proverbial. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. Michael.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
My Macbook Air is exhibiting a number of symptoms consistent with the need to reset the SMC (keyboard backlight erratic, shutting down when closing the lid instead of sleeping). However, I have another problem which seems to render the SMC reset process useless...

I am unable to startup my MB with the power cable attached. It will only boot once it is unplugged and running on battery. The SMC reset process requires the laptop to be plugged in whilst holding down the Shirt-Control-Option & Power buttons. I've tried the process both plugged in and unplugged and neither has any effect. My laptop still shuts down when I close the lid.

Pain in the proverbial. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. Michael.

You should try the following but you need to do this with two persons.

You should hold these keys before the second person attaches the MagSafe Power.

Press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

michaelshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
You should try the following but you need to do this with two persons.

You should hold these keys before the second person attaches the MagSafe Power.

Press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Thanks for the advice, but alas no change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.