Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
actually no. there is around a 30% difference from the HD4000 in the ulv cpus than from the standard voltage ones, they cant maintain the clocks, they oscilate, aside that the clocks are lower, sometimes this makes a good difference and in other times barely

While you are absolutely right and technically correct, I did not see these results.

On the other hand, the office Sony Z uses a standard CPU clocked roughly the same "Dual Core i5 / HD4000" and it performed much better than the rMBP 13" under bootcamp with the same drivers installed.

Lubbosfan Control was even used because I thought it might be a throttling issue.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
On the other hand, the office Sony Z uses a standard CPU clocked roughly the same "Dual Core i5 / HD4000" and it performed much better than the rMBP 13" under bootcamp with the same drivers installed.

Ehm... I kinda find that hard to believe.
Any proper numbers to back those statements up?
... or are they also based on what you "see"? :rolleyes:

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Ehm... I kinda find that hard to believe.
Any proper numbers to back those statements up?
... or are they also based on what you "see"? :rolleyes:

Of course its based on what I see. :D

I own a 13" rMBP like you.(15" rMBP as well) Black Ops 2 was the game we tested and I was "Seeing" a 10-15 FPS swing at 1280x720p.

One thing I did not do was reset the SMC. I did not think the bug effected the 13". I know it creeps up on my 15" a few times per week.

Its a fine machine, but a decent gaming laptop she's not.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Its a fine machine, but a decent gaming laptop she's not.

I didn't argue that it's a great gaming laptop. It was never designed to be one... What I was arguing is that the Sony Z configured roughly the same "performs much better". If it "performs much better", for sure it's not configured "roughly the same" as the 13" rMBP. A few frames here and there are fine / expected, but a 10-15 fps difference just doesn't fit the picture with the current information. ;)

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I didn't argue that it's a great gaming laptop. It was never designed to be one... What I was arguing is that the Sony Z configured roughly the same "performs much better". If it "performs much better", for sure it's not configured "roughly the same" as the 13" rMBP. A few frames here and there are fine / expected, but a 10-15 fps difference just doesn't fit the picture with the current information. ;)

Apple has done some funny stuff to their hardware lately. Had a 2012 i7 MBA that would not turbo boost in Windows as well. Took hacking around and a command lines upon every boot to enable it. Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Apple has done some funny stuff to their hardware lately. Had a 2012 i7 MBA that would not turbo boost in Windows as well. Took hacking around and a command lines upon every boot to enable it. Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.

what "hacking" solved it .. perhaps we could repeat here ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.