Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detrias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
My question is if the mobile hotspot elevate 4g (currently offered by at&t with a minimum 5Gb data plan for 50$) is purchased out of contract, can i swap in my iPad 2Gb at&t data plan to it? Or is it just not compatible? I ask because i feel like 5Gb would be a bit of an overkill for my needs, and the $25 iPad plan is perfect for me. I have read around that uses the same micro sim card that the iPad does but not info related directed towards my question

For the record i live in a city with 4g coverage already deployed and with heavy hspa+ coverage, so is it possible? Even if it requires some tinkering i don't mind. If i were willing to buy it for the sake of trying it and it didn't worked, whats at&t return period for mobile hotspots?

Any feedback regarding my issue would be greatly appreciated, good day

sashakla

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Hey, were you able to confirm either way?
I am also thinking of using my iPad 3G SIM card with the device - would like to know if it works BEFORE I buy it :)

candrist

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Should Work

This should work just fine. The iPad uses the APN of "Broadband" and so does the AT&T Elevate. You may have to get a new LTE micro sim though.

Last edited:

Detrias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I can confirm this indeed works, thankfully i was still on the return period and I'm now waiting for the iPad 3 with the LTE built in. For anyone else who either goes with the wifi only version or an earlier one, this is a great alternative for tethering. Also you have to buy the elevate at the retail price if you don't want to be obligated to sign into a 5GB data plan contract.

DjPiLL

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
This should work just fine. The iPad uses the APN of "Broadband" and so does the AT&T Elevate. You may have to get a new LTE micro sim though.

How did you get around the issue of the Elevate requiring a regular sized sim and the ipad requiring the micro sim?

I would like to purchase one data plan sim to use in both an Elevate and an ipad 3. Wondering if I should get a sim provisioned for the ipad 3 and use that in the elevate, or get the sim provisioned for the elevate and use that in the ipad 3.

I already have the elevate so I am out of contracts and such. Thanks in advance.

drkstar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Any update on this? Thinking about going down this route...

Thanks...

How did you get around the issue of the Elevate requiring a regular sized sim and the ipad requiring the micro sim?

I would like to purchase one data plan sim to use in both an Elevate and an ipad 3. Wondering if I should get a sim provisioned for the ipad 3 and use that in the elevate, or get the sim provisioned for the elevate and use that in the ipad 3.

I already have the elevate so I am out of contracts and such. Thanks in advance.

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Any update on this? Thinking about going down this route...

Thanks...

Curious about this as well. I have a ipad3 with unlimited lte that I would like to share with an elevate device, or some other mifi type device without paying for another entire service plan while on the road.

Anyone done it? Do any of the devices use the micro sim?

drkstar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Curious about this as well. I have a ipad3 with unlimited lte that I would like to share with an elevate device, or some other mifi type device without paying for another entire service plan while on the road.

Anyone done it? Do any of the devices use the micro sim?

Purchased an unlocked Elevate 4G Hotspot with no contract and micoSIM card adapter from Amazon...

will report back next week...

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Purchased an unlocked Elevate 4G Hotspot with no contract and micoSIM card adapter from Amazon...

will report back next week...

I just picked up a Elevate 4G Hotspot today as well. I just went ahead and signed up for the 5G for now since I currently have a old Sprint 3G MIFI I pay $60 for the past 4+ years, it is horrible on the road so I am going to cancel that.

I'll try my ATT iPad 4G Unlimited microsim when I get home on Monday/Tuesday.

I hate having to worry about limits. I would pay $100/mo to have unlimited within reason or throttled after some certain limit instead of just starting to pay overages.. I hate overage charges.

doofoo

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I can confirm it works great.. I just tested the Elevate with my iPad card. Saves me from having to pay for 2 monthly fee's

drkstar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
I can confirm it works great.. I just tested the Elevate with my iPad card. Saves me from having to pay for 2 monthly fee's

Can confirm also that it works great... just need a micro SIM -> SIM adapter...

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for all the replies in this thread. I have an Elevate 4G is on its way to me so I can use my my iPad 3rd gen unlimited AT&T LTE plan SIM.

GunsandGadgets

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I've had my ipad unlimited data plan in an at&t elevate for a few months now and it works great. I use it to keep my ipod touch and Google nexus 7 tablet online.

But now I'm considering buying an unlimited plan off of someone to put in my ipad and give it to my wife.

Would this work?

My concern is that my original plan is still associated with the ipad and putting in a new plan would some how cancel the original that is now in my elevate.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
Iphone Sim in Mobile HotSpot

Have any of you been able to confirm using an iphone sim with an unlimited data plan in a mobile hotspot? Will the Elevate recgonize the sim?

I want to do away with my internet at home as I am not home often. I can add a dumb phone to my account for $10. So I was thinking of taking my iPhone unlimited sim, forwarding the phone calls to the new phone, and putting the sim in a mobile hotspot.

What do you guys think?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
also worth mentioning, Verizon ipads have free tethering. That's why I went with Verizon even though I was originally going with AT&T

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
I have ATT - I am not switching to Verizon. I do NOT want to carrying around an iPad.

So . . . can anyone confirm if an iPhone sim with data plan will work in an ATT 4g Mobile Hotspot device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.