Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KennyKW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I got a pc keyboard and would like to use on my iMac. The problem is that it doesn't seem to have key to allow me to boot to the OS selection screen.

When using the Mac wireless keyboard, pressing the "Option" key while switching on will bring you to the OS selection screen. But pressing the "Alt" key in the PC keyboard doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
I have the Corsair K60 FPS keyboard and I love it.

However, I have the same problem as you. The 'alt' key doesn't send the necessary signal to the Mac at startup to prompt the OS X/Boot Camp selection screen.

I have gotten used to using the Startup Disk System Preferences Pane to switch between OS X and Windows.

BTW- the issue isn't unique to Boot Camp. I have the same problem switching my Late2009 iMac and i7 Mac Mini. It says cmd+F2, but it must be the APPLE cmd key. So I have a Apple Wired keyboard sitting behind the iMac for the rare occasions I need to switch to the Mini's physical desktop. The rest of the time, I use Screen Sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.