Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 5, 2013, 08:57 PM   #51
Booji
macrumors regular

Its the classic Apple product lifecycle - first start with a timeless design, then keep upgrading the internals. Revolution followed by evolution.

The current Airs (especially the 11"), even after three years, are still the best designed ultraportables on the market.

However, I do agree that this may be the last cycle of this form factor. The next generation will look similar, but still distinctly different, there there will most certainly be an upgrade of the screen.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:57 PM   #52
falconeight

Other than a thinner bezel I would hate to see a hardware redesign for the air line. I think they have the best design of any computer in the market.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #53
Tarrou8
macrumors member

Design is still the gold standard for all ultra-portables. Minor changes for any future re-design should center around a smaller footprint, reducing the bezel size, and obviously updating the screen resolution.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:04 PM   #54
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrou8 View Post
Design is still the gold standard for all ultra-portables. Minor changes for any future re-design should center around a smaller footprint, reducing the bezel size, and obviously updating the screen resolution.
So so true. I would like to see a sd or micro sd slot on the 11 inch. Maybe incorporate LTE in it. I think a smaller bezel, sd slot, a slightly better screen, and LTE, and it would be the only machine needed. I would be the first in line.
falconeight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:46 PM   #55
Nishi100
macrumors 6502a

As we've seen with iOS 7, change for the sake of change is not always a good idea.
Nishi100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:51 PM   #56
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Made this a while back, would love to see this happen. Same screen design as the rMBP (which does not add an extra layer of glass). Even if they kept the same resolutions but switched to high quality IPS displays instead of the current lower quality panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_Air_Concept.png
Views:	52
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	421736  
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:11 AM   #57
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
Its the classic Apple product lifecycle - first start with a timeless design, then keep upgrading the internals. Revolution followed by evolution.

The current Airs (especially the 11"), even after three years, are still the best designed ultraportables on the market.

However, I do agree that this may be the last cycle of this form factor. The next generation will look similar, but still distinctly different, there there will most certainly be an upgrade of the screen.
Yes, this should definitely be the last revision of the current generation. Competitors are making real good designs, and Apple should keep up with them.

The next MBA will probably be thinner and lighter (even more!), have a smaller bezel, and upgraded internals to accommodate a retina display. Perhaps Apple uses an IGZO or similar display, and perhaps it even uses other materials than aluminum. But that's just me.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 03:26 AM   #58
Tysknaden
macrumors regular

This asking for change just for change's sake does not even have a single atom of logic.
iOS7 shows the bitter outcome.
Tysknaden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:25 AM   #59
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysknaden View Post
This asking for change just for change's sake does not even have a single atom of logic.
iOS7 shows the bitter outcome.
It's not asking for change just for change's sake. The MBA is not perfect, and falls short on many aspects. The screen is probably the most noticeable one: it is TN, with poor viewing angles, and has a resolution that makes pixels noticeable. Putting a TN retina display on the MBA would require a redesign of the product, and, although many would disagree, it is necessary. And if Apple is going to redesign the MBA so it can handle a retina display, than it should also include some improvements as thinner bezels, a thinner and lighter body and perhaps the use of new materials. Yes, aluminum is nice, but it also scratches easily and is not light as some other materials such as carbon fibre.

You may not like change, but there are lots of aspects that could be improved on the MBA. Rivals are doing it. Apple should do it, or it will have a hard time justifying the high price tag of its product.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:33 PM   #60
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
It's not asking for change just for change's sake. The MBA is not perfect, and falls short on many aspects. The screen is probably the most noticeable one: it is TN, with poor viewing angles, and has a resolution that makes pixels noticeable. Putting a TN retina display on the MBA would require a redesign of the product, and, although many would disagree, it is necessary. And if Apple is going to redesign the MBA so it can handle a retina display, than it should also include some improvements as thinner bezels, a thinner and lighter body and perhaps the use of new materials. Yes, aluminum is nice, but it also scratches easily and is not light as some other materials such as carbon fibre.

You may not like change, but there are lots of aspects that could be improved on the MBA. Rivals are doing it. Apple should do it, or it will have a hard time justifying the high price tag of its product.
Do you think they would really need to redesign it to put a better screen in? Seems like it would be very minimal if anything.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:37 PM   #61
Tysknaden
macrumors regular

Quote:

I am much more interested in the battery.
Tysknaden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 01:04 PM   #62
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
Do you think they would really need to redesign it to put a better screen in? Seems like it would be very minimal if anything.
I think the internals would have to be redesigned to fit a retina display. Apple could take the opportunity to perfect the design of the MBA. After 3 years of the last redesign, it can certainly be improved.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 01:14 PM   #63
falconeight

Quote:
I think the internals would have to be redesigned to fit a retina display. Apple could take the opportunity to perfect the design of the MBA. After 3 years of the last redesign, it can certainly be improved.
I agree that it needs a better screen. I do really like the design and wouldn't want to see a redesign.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 01:53 PM   #64
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

My thoughts on a redesign include the following.

'iPad Mini'-esque design language. (it would be nice in both colors)
Reduced bezel
Increased hinge mobility to extend 180 degrees
And.... I know I'll get beat up for this, but I would like a touchscreen. I think it's a perfectly complimentary option. You wouldn't have to use it, but sometimes it would be nice to just slide your hand up and manipulate on the screen directly.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:11 PM   #65
DavidBlack
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Made this a while back, would love to see this happen. Same screen design as the rMBP (which does not add an extra layer of glass). Even if they kept the same resolutions but switched to high quality IPS displays instead of the current lower quality panels.
That's very good what did you use to design? it just curious.
DavidBlack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:40 PM   #66
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBlack View Post
That's very good what did you use to design? it just curious.
Just Photoshop and two photos from the Apple website (Air and retina MBP)
Stetrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air