Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Its the classic Apple product lifecycle - first start with a timeless design, then keep upgrading the internals. Revolution followed by evolution.

The current Airs (especially the 11"), even after three years, are still the best designed ultraportables on the market.

However, I do agree that this may be the last cycle of this form factor. The next generation will look similar, but still distinctly different, there there will most certainly be an upgrade of the screen.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Other than a thinner bezel I would hate to see a hardware redesign for the air line. I think they have the best design of any computer in the market.

Tarrou8

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
Design is still the gold standard for all ultra-portables. Minor changes for any future re-design should center around a smaller footprint, reducing the bezel size, and obviously updating the screen resolution.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Design is still the gold standard for all ultra-portables. Minor changes for any future re-design should center around a smaller footprint, reducing the bezel size, and obviously updating the screen resolution.

So so true. I would like to see a sd or micro sd slot on the 11 inch. Maybe incorporate LTE in it. I think a smaller bezel, sd slot, a slightly better screen, and LTE, and it would be the only machine needed. I would be the first in line.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Made this a while back, would love to see this happen. Same screen design as the rMBP (which does not add an extra layer of glass). Even if they kept the same resolutions but switched to high quality IPS displays instead of the current lower quality panels.

Attachments

• 2013_Air_Concept.png
    2013_Air_Concept.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 135

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Its the classic Apple product lifecycle - first start with a timeless design, then keep upgrading the internals. Revolution followed by evolution.

The current Airs (especially the 11"), even after three years, are still the best designed ultraportables on the market.

However, I do agree that this may be the last cycle of this form factor. The next generation will look similar, but still distinctly different, there there will most certainly be an upgrade of the screen.

Yes, this should definitely be the last revision of the current generation. Competitors are making real good designs, and Apple should keep up with them.

The next MBA will probably be thinner and lighter (even more!), have a smaller bezel, and upgraded internals to accommodate a retina display. Perhaps Apple uses an IGZO or similar display, and perhaps it even uses other materials than aluminum. But that's just me.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
This asking for change just for change's sake does not even have a single atom of logic.
iOS7 shows the bitter outcome.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
This asking for change just for change's sake does not even have a single atom of logic.
iOS7 shows the bitter outcome.

It's not asking for change just for change's sake. The MBA is not perfect, and falls short on many aspects. The screen is probably the most noticeable one: it is TN, with poor viewing angles, and has a resolution that makes pixels noticeable. Putting a TN retina display on the MBA would require a redesign of the product, and, although many would disagree, it is necessary. And if Apple is going to redesign the MBA so it can handle a retina display, than it should also include some improvements as thinner bezels, a thinner and lighter body and perhaps the use of new materials. Yes, aluminum is nice, but it also scratches easily and is not light as some other materials such as carbon fibre.

You may not like change, but there are lots of aspects that could be improved on the MBA. Rivals are doing it. Apple should do it, or it will have a hard time justifying the high price tag of its product.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
It's not asking for change just for change's sake. The MBA is not perfect, and falls short on many aspects. The screen is probably the most noticeable one: it is TN, with poor viewing angles, and has a resolution that makes pixels noticeable. Putting a TN retina display on the MBA would require a redesign of the product, and, although many would disagree, it is necessary. And if Apple is going to redesign the MBA so it can handle a retina display, than it should also include some improvements as thinner bezels, a thinner and lighter body and perhaps the use of new materials. Yes, aluminum is nice, but it also scratches easily and is not light as some other materials such as carbon fibre.

You may not like change, but there are lots of aspects that could be improved on the MBA. Rivals are doing it. Apple should do it, or it will have a hard time justifying the high price tag of its product.

Do you think they would really need to redesign it to put a better screen in? Seems like it would be very minimal if anything.

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013

I am much more interested in the battery.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Do you think they would really need to redesign it to put a better screen in? Seems like it would be very minimal if anything.

I think the internals would have to be redesigned to fit a retina display. Apple could take the opportunity to perfect the design of the MBA. After 3 years of the last redesign, it can certainly be improved.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I think the internals would have to be redesigned to fit a retina display. Apple could take the opportunity to perfect the design of the MBA. After 3 years of the last redesign, it can certainly be improved.

I agree that it needs a better screen. I do really like the design and wouldn't want to see a redesign.

My thoughts on a redesign include the following.

'iPad Mini'-esque design language. (it would be nice in both colors)
Reduced bezel
Increased hinge mobility to extend 180 degrees
And.... I know I'll get beat up for this, but I would like a touchscreen. I think it's a perfectly complimentary option. You wouldn't have to use it, but sometimes it would be nice to just slide your hand up and manipulate on the screen directly.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Made this a while back, would love to see this happen. Same screen design as the rMBP (which does not add an extra layer of glass). Even if they kept the same resolutions but switched to high quality IPS displays instead of the current lower quality panels.
That's very good what did you use to design? it just curious. :D

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I'm struggling to think of how they could improve on such a good design. Maybe they will make it black? :D:D:D
Because Other will say you still have 2008 MBA even if you have bought 2015 Macbook Air. Inside changes is the best part, but other people make mistakes and some made fun of using the same macbook air for 7 years without changing the design.

Is just like iPhone 5/5S and iPhone SE those 3 iPhones is just a taller version of iPhone 4 in design and also iPhone 5/5S/SE are sooo 2010 by the way

Last edited:
Reactions: madrich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.