Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Would this not require a fast upload speed too? Most domestic ADSL connections in the UK have very slow upload compared to download, by definition. Would it have the bandwidth to make iPlayer watchable?

Wired:
2317962841.png

Wifi:
2237598728.png

UK has pretty decent internet, tbh. ;)

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Firstly, let me state that I am a UK resident and I pay my licence fee. Why the iPad app doesn't allow you to register your TV Licence with it I do not know -I'm sure there must be some way to mitigate against people selling Licence numbers on ebay. But until then I would quite like to be able to access the BBC content I have paid for when I am travelling.

As I understand it a VPN or proxy is needed for this.

I've been doing a lot of searching around on the various services, and I have to say that I am a tad confused, and slightly nervous. Nervous because I have no real way of working out which of the outfits that feature in Google searches are legit or not, and confused becuase I am still unsure if I need to take a VPN or proxy route. It feels like the proxy and VPN sector has not quite made it from techie to mainstream - some of the language and assumed knowledge is a bit above me.

Question:

Can anybody recommend a service that will give me access to iPlayer from outside the UK. Of course, I would love this to be a free service, but appreciate that you get what you pay for, so prepared to pay (as long as the service is good). But of course a free service is better.

I'd also like to know if the same 9or perhaps a different) service will also be able to hide my other online activity when using my iMac. Reading all these sites on proxies and VPNs kinda got me thinking that being anonymous is a bit safer for a number of things (including when acquiring BBC content on my iMac from other sources when iPlayer is playing up)

Caveat: I do not want to jailbreak my iPad.

Amonst other services I've looked at hidemyass.com and ukproxyserver.co.uk

Thanks

I do recommend filmon app which someone else has mentioned, you cant access on demand but you can watch all bbc, itv and other free to air channels live and the app is free from the app store and you can watch all around the world. You can even airplay it to your apple tv so i can watch uk channels on my tv here in poland.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.