Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionnewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Hi,

I will be installing photoshop CS5 on my new macbook air i5.

As some of you may be aware, Lion and I believe Leopard run as 64 bit operating systems, but apparently you can switch easily to 32 bits by rebooting the machine and holding down the keys 2 and 3.

My question is, have any of you installed Photoshop CS5 on lion yet, and can you please let me know if you can run Photoshop when the operating system is running at 32 bits?

And don't worry about needing to do anything to switch back to 64. It does it automatically once you reboot again after being in 32 bit mode.

The reason I ask is because I run some special work related programs that only run while the OS is set to 32, so I want to know if it is possible to run Photoshop irrespective of how you are running Lion.

Thanks so much for your info.

iTabone

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I'm actually thinking of going lighter and using the slim PS on the Mac App Store.

lionnewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
I'm actually thinking of going lighter and using the slim PS on the Mac App Store.

Which features are missing from that version when compared to the full version you can download from the adobe site?

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
You can get Elements on the App store.

2rfek3q.jpg

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi,

I will be installing photoshop CS5 on my new macbook air i5.

As some of you may be aware, Lion and I believe Leopard run as 64 bit operating systems, but apparently you can switch easily to 32 bits by rebooting the machine and holding down the keys 2 and 3.

My question is, have any of you installed Photoshop CS5 on lion yet, and can you please let me know if you can run Photoshop when the operating system is running at 32 bits?

And don't worry about needing to do anything to switch back to 64. It does it automatically once you reboot again after being in 32 bit mode.

The reason I ask is because I run some special work related programs that only run while the OS is set to 32, so I want to know if it is possible to run Photoshop irrespective of how you are running Lion.

Thanks so much for your info.

From another thread I see you're buying a MacBook Air.

You should know that, as far as I've read, Lion runs full-time as a 64-bit kernel. If you have software that runs only on a 32-bit kernel, you better make sure it's Lion compatible. AFAIK there is no 32-bit kernel on Lion.

And the new MBAs only run Lion.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you'll need to check it out.

----------

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the PSE on the App store is a cut down version of elements.
I think it's missing the photo organizer module. They're presuming the buyer will be using iPhoto for that functionality.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Photoshop CS5 will run as a 64-bit app even on a 32-bit kernel, so you don't need to do anything with it. Most applications don't directly interact with the kernel.

wordplanet

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
You can switch Photoshop CS5 to 32 bit on Lion to work with plug-ins such as vertus. You also need to run it in 32-bit mode if you want to use the Exposure slider in Photoshop (not in RAW, that runs at 64-bit). I've done it. It doesn't switch back to 64-bit when you restart the computer, at least not on my iMac nor on my Macbook Pro - both running Lion and CS5.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
You also need to run it in 32-bit mode if you want to use the Exposure slider in Photoshop (not in RAW, that runs at 64-bit). I've done it. It doesn't switch back to 64-bit when you restart the computer, at least not on my iMac nor on my Macbook Pro - both running Lion and CS5.

My CS5 exposure slider works fine, and I don't ever run it in 32bit....and thats on my MBA and my iMac...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.