Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
I've been looking through a lot of the posts on here and it seems like the vast majority of you bought high end iMacs with upgraded CPUs, extra ram and the 680MX, which is making me have second thoughts on what I bought.

I went with the the base 27" with a fusion drive. I spend most of my time on the computer browsing the web and playing Minecraft. I also like playing games like the Sims 3, Half Life and Portal. I'll also edit video once in a while, nothing too fancy just a short school project or some family videos and organize and edit photos in iPhoto or Photoshop Elements, mostly for fun.

My old PC with a Core 2 Quad and ATI Radeon 4850 was able to handle everything fine, so did I make the right choice?

NJelect

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Remember, Apple is clear in stating that you must be pleased with your purchase or return for a complete refund; note return period.

When your computer arrives take it for a test drive.

Load your most intensive 3D shooter or purchase one of the latest 3D shooters and install the latter onto your new system.

Move all of the display settings of the game to maximum and see how it performs:
example: while playing note how fast the refresh rate is, should you see some tearing of the video display or longer than normal loading screens then you will have to reduce the game display settings.
While performing the above listen for excessive fan noise along with feeling around the computer for a lot of heat.

Finally, join a free (fast) gaming server in reference to the 3D shooter and see if you can play the game smoothly.
Concerniing the above - you may need to try a couple of servers since they vary in speed.

In the event you can perform all of the above and "very" satisfied with your results then you have purchased the correct computer.
Should you be disappointed with your results then package it back in its box, contact Apple and return the computer for a refund.
Truthfully, it is that simple - I could care less what Apple or anyone else may think of me concerning returning an item - if the store has a return policy and I am not satisfied then it will be returned.

Final note: The computer you purchased was expensive and you saved to buy it with your hard earned money - make sure you really enjoy it and feel satisfied, not just content!

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Remember, Apple is clear in stating that you must be pleased with your purchase or return for a complete refund; note return period.

Load your most intensive 3D shooter or purchase one of the latest 3D shooters and install the latter onto your new system.

Move all of the display settings of the game to maximum and see how it performs:
example: while playing note how fast the refresh rate is, should you see some tearing of the video display or longer than normal loading screens then you will have to reduce the game display settings.
While performing the above listen for excessive fan noise along with feeling around the computer for a lot of heat.

Finally, join a free (fast) gaming server in reference to the 3D shooter and see if you can play the game smoothly.
Concerniing the above - you may need to try a couple of servers since they vary in speed.

In the event you can perform all of the above and "very" satisfied with your results then you have purchased the correct computer.
Should you be disappointed with your results then package it back in its box, contact Apple and return the computer for a refund.
Truthfully, it is that simple - I could care less what Apple or anyone else may think of me concerning returning an item - if the store has a return policy and I am not satisfied then it will be returned.

Final note: The computer you purchased was expensive and you saved to buy it with your hard earned money - make sure you really enjoy it and feel satisfied, not just content!

this!
actually i think the gfx upgrade for 150$ is a no brainer! but test your system and if you are not satisfied return it. it's so much money we are paying for those imacs! you really don't want to regret spending the money this way

sucramdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec

Excellent idea, but if I ordered online would I have to pay to ship it back, or I could I bring to my local apple store?

NJelect

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Listen carefully, when I visited the Apple store where I reside the rep stated I could configure and pay for the system at the store, the computer would be shipped to the store where I would acquire it.
(the above configuration process is using their online computer at the store).

In the above scenario it is obvious that if I desired a return I would also be able to return it to where it was purchased at the store.

When using the above analogy the Apple Internet store is the same as the Apple retail store thus you can return an internet purchased computer to an Apple store for a refund.

However, keep in mind the above will only work for an authorized Apple dealer, other apple internet providers may not be able to perform the above return.
Should you have any questions you can easily call an Apple store and ask.

Last edited:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry to ask such an obvious question (I'm too tired to find this out myself after all the attempts to track my order...just to find that it has arrived at a UPS warehouse yet and hasn't got a proper tracking thing yet -_-) but how long is the return period and how do I return it? Take it into store?

Plznerfme

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
this!
actually i think the gfx upgrade for 150$ is a no brainer! but test your system and if you are not satisfied return it. it's so much money we are paying for those imacs! you really don't want to regret spending the money this way

I think it would be 350$ since the base model is 200 cheaper than the model where you can upgrade GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.