Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I have a friend who does not have Internet. I wanted to watch a movie at his house. I purchased the movie from iTunes and have it on my iPad. If I hook up an Apple TV to his tv and then connect the Apple TV to the airport express and connect my mini to the airport express, will this work with no Internet connection being supplied to the base station?

I figured it should seeing as how they will be networked together but I'm not sure if the Apple TV requires an Internet connection.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Nope, it'll have to contact the Apple servers for the DRM.

Best to rip your movies via Handbrake and put them on your iPad. No Internet required.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Nope, it'll have to contact the Apple servers for the DRM.

Best to rip your movies via Handbrake and put them on your iPad. No Internet required.

Are you sure this is true? You don't need an internet connection to simply play an authorized movie that's stored on your device (for example, you could watch it on an airplane, in the woods, etc). Are you saying some kind of authorization has to happen to AirPlay the movie on a local network (that's not connected to the internet)? Why would this be true? I'm skeptical. If I have time I'll set up the conditions (ad hoc network via airport express) and try it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Are you sure this is true? You don't need an internet connection to simply play an authorized movie that's stored on your device (for example, you could watch it on an airplane, in the woods, etc). Are you saying some kind of authorization has to happen to AirPlay the movie on a local network (that's not connected to the internet)? Why would this be true? I'm skeptical. If I have time I'll set up the conditions (ad hoc network via airport express) and try it.

I think it authorizes every time. If you can start the video without internet then there should be no problem even with AirPlay. But like you I've not tested this.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I think it authorizes every time. If you can start the video without internet then there should be no problem even with AirPlay. But like you I've not tested this.

No, that doesn't seem to be the case. Easy enough to test: put your device in airplane mode, then try to play any protected video. Worked fine for me. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to play any of your protected videos when you didn't have an Internet connection, which would be a huge limitation.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I tried what the OP wants to do, and there did seem to be a problem. I created a non-Internet connected network with an Airport Express, and connected my iPad and :apple:TV to it. I could AirPlay anything except the few purchased (protected) videos on my iPad. They looked like they should be working; there was no error message and the iPad screen showed "this video is playing on 'living room AppleTV'", but no video on the TV and the scrubber bar wasn't advancing on the iPad. I could play the videos fine on my iPad if I didn't try to AirPlay them, and when I switched back to my regular network (with Internet), they would airplay ok. Home Sharing, in case that matters, was set to the same account on both devices. Seems weird to me.

So, OP, I'm sorry to say I can't confirm that what you want to do will work. Seems to me like it should, but I couldn't get it to work.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I tried what the OP wants to do, and there did seem to be a problem. I created a non-Internet connected network with an Airport Express, and connected my iPad and :apple:TV to it. I could AirPlay anything except the few purchased (protected) videos on my iPad. They looked like they should be working; there was no error message and the iPad screen showed "this video is playing on 'living room AppleTV'", but no video on the TV and the scrubber bar wasn't advancing on the iPad. I could play the videos fine on my iPad if I didn't try to AirPlay them, and when I switched back to my regular network (with Internet), they would airplay ok. Home Sharing, in case that matters, was set to the same account on both devices. Seems weird to me.

So, OP, I'm sorry to say I can't confirm that what you want to do will work. Seems to me like it should, but I couldn't get it to work.

Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to set that up. In my head it seemed like it would work too but I know that just because it seems like it should doesn't mean it will. Thank you though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.