Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Ok... some back story.

I have owned every iPhone model since 2007.

I have at times branched out and tried Android here and there. I think Android is great and does many things better than iOS and many things not as good, but very close... especially in the last 1.5 years.

I am a Mac owner, so iPhone does fluidly interact with my computer.

But...

I have to tell you... the radios in the iPhone 5 are janky! I have had 1 replacement, but it never really solved the problem. I live in a strong AT&T area. Never had any reception issues with any other iPhone (or Android phone for that matter!)... I get a solid signal. But lots of times I am unable to send texts or MMS. But during this times of difficulty, iMessages sent to other iDevices work fine. This is a daily thing that can only be cured by toggling LTE or toggling cellular data. Then other times, I can have a solid LTE signal, and have no internet connectivity, but I toggle LTE off and back on, and then I can use my internet connection again.

Also enjoy getting texts 2 hours later than I was supposed to get them.

I am seriously considering trading this thing off for a Galaxy Note 2 or selling it once Nexus 4 is available again.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Even though I do have the dreaded wifi issues I never experienced any of the LTE or data connectivity issues like you or very long delayed text messages.
Sounds to me like it could be a carrier issue in your local area.
I dont think it would be the phones fault if your texts arrive very late. Its not like the phone is holding them here and displays them 4 hours after:)

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Even though I do have the dreaded wifi issues I never experienced any of the LTE or data connectivity issues like you or very long delayed text messages.
Sounds to me like it could be a carrier issue in your local area.
I dont think it would be the phones fault if your texts arrive very late. Its not like the phone is holding them here and displays them 4 hours after:)

But... no one else in my household... on AT&T... on iPhone 4, or other phones... are experiencing the problem. I never experienced it on the 4S. I never experienced it when I had the Galaxy S III. Oh... and my friend... who lives near me is having the same issues... but only on his iPhone 5.

Is a problem... "with a carrier" but localized to 1 particular model of phone even possible?

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I feel bad for any of you who have had problems.

I, knock on wood, haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. Neither has my wife and she's had hers just under a month.

There was another thread today where the person had a similar signal issue with ATT.

Good luck.

The way I look at it, you need to use a phone that works best for YOU. I'm not all about "mines better than yours" or whatever. If you like the GS3 or Note2 better, fine. I'm sure had I gotten those phones I'd like them as well. I just choose the i5 as my first iphone and I've really liked it thus far.

Do what you have to do that works best for you. No one should care to be honest.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But... no one else in my household... on AT&T... on iPhone 4, or other phones... are experiencing the problem. I never experienced it on the 4S. I never experienced it when I had the Galaxy S III. Oh... and my friend... who lives near me is having the same issues... but only on his iPhone 5.

Is a problem... "with a carrier" but localized to 1 particular model of phone even possible?

Could be something that the carrier needs to address on their end for the LTE iphone 5.
I used to have issues like that with my 3GS when it first came out. It would stop completelly getting any carrier data unless I restarted it then it worked fine again for a day or so and then the same. A while later it never did it again. Not sure if it fixed cause of a firmware update or something that AT&T did on their end.
Feels like we're beta testers all the time:D

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Ok... some back story.

I have owned every iPhone model since 2007.

I have at times branched out and tried Android here and there. I think Android is great and does many things better than iOS and many things not as good, but very close... especially in the last 1.5 years.

I am a Mac owner, so iPhone does fluidly interact with my computer.

But...

I have to tell you... the radios in the iPhone 5 are janky! I have had 1 replacement, but it never really solved the problem. I live in a strong AT&T area. Never had any reception issues with any other iPhone (or Android phone for that matter!)... I get a solid signal. But lots of times I am unable to send texts or MMS. But during this times of difficulty, iMessages sent to other iDevices work fine. This is a daily thing that can only be cured by toggling LTE or toggling cellular data. Then other times, I can have a solid LTE signal, and have no internet connectivity, but I toggle LTE off and back on, and then I can use my internet connection again.

Also enjoy getting texts 2 hours later than I was supposed to get them.

I am seriously considering trading this thing off for a Galaxy Note 2 or selling it once Nexus 4 is available again.

Ever time I hear this story it's AT&T...every single time.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Not an option. Can never go back down to that screen size. :D

----------

You mean like a power cycle or a restore? Tried both.

Yeah, I meant holding the Power and "Home" button at the same time until it shuts off and reboots. I had started a thread about when and how often you should do a "Hard Reset" and most of the responses said when you basically started having problems with the phone.

This sounded like a problem worth performing this action.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Call AT&T. It might be an LTE issue. They had to configure something on my account because of LTE. My phone would drop to 4G to make calls and after about 10 seconds the 4G icon would disappear and I couldn't use data while on a call.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I heard those issues with Verizon customers too.
About Sprint its no connection or turtle slow connection on the regural so they dont count:D

In my personal experience and based on my friends' experiences it's always AT&T. I have no doubt there are some Verizon users out there who have had issues but AT&t is famous for this s***. Sprint just doesn't work like you mentioned, but is at least consistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.