Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
corry20
macrumors regular

Going to Canada how to use Sim?

I have a Iphone 4S and I'm going to Canada.I'm going to call Sprint to unlock my phone.Can I just go to a Rogers or Bell store and get a sim card to put in my phone?How does this work?I just want data only.
corry20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Akack
macrumors 6502a

Actually in Vancouver right now visiting from the US.

Go to any mall and there are about 7+ carriers to choose from.

I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 and chose Fido's bc the person at the booth was very helpful.

It was $ 10 for Fidos sim and another $10 for 100 MB data sine I'm here for 2 days. ( Option for $25 for 500MB as well ) I did not sign up for phone calls and it was not mandatory. Taxes will be added to the total as well.

Showing 3G reception and although I did not run speed tests, web pages loaded up quick.

http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_...ToPrepaidRates

Go to "add-ons" after you select the link above to see data plans.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:50 PM   #3
corry20
macrumors regular

Thanks.Will they take a American address when I buy it?How would I add more funds to my account if I want to?Last question is does the sim card have a expiration date could I use it again when I go up at a later date and add more funds to my account?Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Akack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by corry20 View Post
Thanks.Will they take a American address when I buy it?How would I add more funds to my account if I want to?Last question is does the sim card have a expiration date could I use it again when I go up at a later date and add more funds to my account?Thanks for your help.
They did not even ask for my address, just paid with my AMEX. FYI, I only have an US address.

To add funds you can do that at a Fido kiosk and store, they were everyone in DT Vancouver and the sales person said at 7-11 as well but have not tried.

Not sure if the sim will expire but am sure once you get there they can answer that for you.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:49 PM   #5
corry20
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akack View Post
They did not even ask for my address, just paid with my AMEX. FYI, I only have an US address.

To add funds you can do that at a Fido kiosk and store, they were everyone in DT Vancouver and the sales person said at 7-11 as well but have not tried.

Not sure if the sim will expire but am sure once you get there they can answer that for you.
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:42 PM   #6
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
Pre-paid SIM cards in Canada do normally expire. So if you want to make sure you don't loose your balance you have to top up every so often. Most of them expire after 30 days some larger balances expire after a year.

EDIT: Another thing to be aware of. We only have 3 carriers that support the iPhone, Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Every other "carrier" is a rebranding of one of those three.
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy77 View Post
Pre-paid SIM cards in Canada do normally expire. So if you want to make sure you don't loose your balance you have to top up every so often. Most of them expire after 30 days some larger balances expire after a year.

EDIT: Another thing to be aware of. We only have 3 carriers that support the iPhone, Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Every other "carrier" is a rebranding of one of those three.
Yeah, they're umbrella companies of the main ones. Fido is an umbrella of Rogers, for example. Koodo, Wind Mobile, Mobilicity are the independent cell providers, and Rogers/Bell/Telus are the big three in Canada. I think Virgin is an umbrella of Bell, but I could be wrong.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Yeah, they're umbrella companies of the main ones. Fido is an umbrella of Rogers, for example. Koodo, Wind Mobile, Mobilicity are the independent cell providers, and Rogers/Bell/Telus are the big three in Canada. I think Virgin is an umbrella of Bell, but I could be wrong.
Fido is a child company of Rogers.

Koodo actually is a child company of Telus. That is correct that Virgin is part of Bell.
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone