Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
zdnet-strategy-analytics-tablets-q2-pr-290713-tts-450x309.png

High margin = Mac
Low margin = Windows PC

It's easy to see which one have 80%+ market share.

In the tablet space, it's trending the same way. If all the major carriers worldwide get rid of phone subsidy, the same will happen with smartphones with Android getting 80% of market share.

idc-1q-2013-smartphone-os-numbers.png

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Sales of their cash cow (i.e., high margin) MacBooks are loosing ground to tablets. Apple can't afford to draw even more sales away from the MBP/MBAs with a highly desirable Mini retina.

"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will do it for you."

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Do you think it's something else or are you just linking to an article that doesn't address the lack of a new iPad in 2013?

What I'm saying is what the article is saying. Yes, not having a new iPad has an effect but the competition is growing faster than Apple regardless of what's available. We'll know in the next few quarters. Apple will have a growth quarter with a new iPad but the trend is down.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
But iPad sales have grown YoY since its inception regardless of launch dates. This is the first quarter to see a decline YoY. Must be something else.
Saturation maybe? I bought the iPad2 beause i didnt have one before and upgraded to the iPad3 because of the Retina Display and it was worth it. Now I don't feel like upgrading before iPad6 is released.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Sales of their cash cow (i.e., high margin) MacBooks are loosing ground to tablets. Apple can't afford to draw even more sales away from the MBP/MBAs with a highly desirable Mini retina.

So lower the price of damn things. I know a lot of people would own a Mac if they weren't $1500.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
So lower the price of damn things. I know a lot of people would own a Mac if they weren't $1500.

No! People at Starbucks think I'm loaded when they see my rMBP. :D I don't go to Starbucks, and that was a joke. Lowering prices is a tricky business, and I have zero doubt Apple has that covered.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Who actually believes the iPad mini is cannibalizing Mac sales? Maybe the full size iPad but the mini? Really? If anything the mini is cannibalizing the full size iPad but I'm sure Apple would rather that than people buying someone else's product. That's why I think waiting until 2014 to release a retina mini is a big problem.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Apple needs to do something. The screen on that new nexus 7 is second to none at the moment. The performance of the ipad mini needs to be addressed as well. Apple can't just keep using several year old parts anymore. Just look at how bad the mini does.

My wife and I thought people who bought Apple products were less than intelligent... until a few months ago. We had Samsung Tab 2 7" tablets, along with the Note 10.1 and Note 8. We thought they were nice, and continued to make scratch our heads over anyone that didn't recognize the superiority of Android products. THEN WE BOUGHT AN IPAD 4. The first thing we noticed was the iPads superior build quality, and quickly found out that the battery meter didn't move downward rapidly like the Note tablets. We had tried Samsung's version of Apple TV, and it stunk. Apple TV delivers what it promises.

My problem is I tried to go the other way - My first tablet was iPad, then I wanted a smaller (and cheaper) tablet dedicated to the kids and bought couple of the Samsung 7" tablets. Being used to the smoothness of the iPad/iOS, it was almost a torture using the Samsungs even though it was meant for the kids. As soon as the Mini came out I dumped the Samsungs.

I bought the new Nexus 7 on release day. Yes the screen is very sharp, yes general UI operations are silky smooth as iOS has always been. Opening and switching apps is FAST on the Nexus 7. But the one thing that is driving me nuts is the poor internet browsing experience. Chrome browser just lags and lags, touch inputs don't register half the time, other times it registers the wrong thing I tried to click. Even with 2GB of RAM, the Chrome browser loves to purge all tabs that are open and reload them. I think it's Google's doing to keep its ads fresh. I think the poor browsing experience with Chrome is that it is too busy collecting info from my device to send to Google :mad: Browsing on the iPad mini is so much more responsive even though all other tasks the Nexus 7 will be vastly superior. I tried Firefox on it but it's just another set of compromise.

The new Nexus 7 is a great device at a great price, no doubt. I thought I was going to sell my Mini after I bought it, but I can't. I prefer the Mini's 7.9" 4:3 screen, holding the Nexus 7 in landscape is awkward, and I much prefer web browsing on the iPad (especially my iPad 4) over the Nexus even though it looks much sharper than the Mini.

If there's going to be a retina Mini, I will no doubt upgrade. If there's going to be a 7.9" retina display, it's not going to be of the vanilla 1920x1080 or even 1920x1200 resolution displays that get cranked out by the billions (slight exaggeration here). Apple will insist on doubling up the resolution evenly to keep all apps looking their best. Even if there's a 7.9" 2048x1536 display in existence, it will probably cost way more than the vanilla 1080 display.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.