Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:14 PM   #226
ajt1995
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacong View Post
looks pretty scratched and scuffed near the point of impact.
It's not damaged on that edge. And there was no "impact" that bent it.

I have dropped my phone before, but there was no bend.
ajt1995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:15 PM   #227
Bacong
macrumors 68000
 
Bacong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Westland, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt1995 View Post
It's not damaged on that edge. And there was no "impact" that bent it.

I have dropped my phone before, but there was no bend.
okay bud. it magically bent.
__________________
Nexus 5 | 16gb | Black
iPad Mini with Retina Display | 16gb | Space Grey
Your iPhone battery life isn't as bad as you think it is: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1707536
Bacong is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:28 PM   #228
ajt1995
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacong View Post
okay bud. it magically bent.
I have a theory:

I believe that when the phone turns sideways in my front pocket and I sit down, it bends around my leg... What do you think?
ajt1995 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 04:16 AM   #229
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Apple gave us thin and light. No doubt the phone can be bent.

Putting in your pocket is asking for it.
Lucille Carter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:59 AM   #230
ajt1995
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
Apple gave us thin and light. No doubt the phone can be bent.

Putting in your pocket is asking for it.

This is ridiculous. Phones are for pockets.
ajt1995 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:18 AM   #231
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt1995 View Post
This is ridiculous. Phones are for pockets.
I agree but the 5 can and will possibly be bent
Lucille Carter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #232
ajt1995
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
I agree but the 5 can and will possibly be bent
Think apple will do anything? I live 2 hours from the store.

I do have AppleCare+ but I don't want to pay the $50 for, what I think, should be a warranty issue.
ajt1995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:32 AM   #233
Smartass
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
I agree but the 5 can and will possibly be bent
seems like a pretty shi-t-ty phone to me if thats the case
Smartass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:49 AM   #234
AppleCruncher
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post
I agree but the 5 can and will possibly be bent
Yep. Super light, super thin, it's going to bend. Seems they all happen at the rockers. Makes sense since there is very little metal there.

Everyone wanted thinner thinner thinner and now they see what can happen.
AppleCruncher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:57 AM   #235
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt1995 View Post
Think apple will do anything? I live 2 hours from the store.

I do have AppleCare+ but I don't want to pay the $50 for, what I think, should be a warranty issue.
You can give it a try but the phone was not bent out of the box. Be very nice to the Geeks and they might . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
seems like a pretty shi-t-ty phone to me if thats the case
Apple is just giving everyone what they wanted, veryt thin and very light.
LIke it or leave it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCruncher View Post
Yep. Super light, super thin, it's going to bend. Seems they all happen at the rockers. Makes sense since there is very little metal there.

Everyone wanted thinner thinner thinner and now they see what can happen.
Yep, I will take thicker and more weight for ROBUST any day!

Last edited by Lucille Carter; Jul 6, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Lucille Carter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:45 PM   #236
nikaru
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Last week a client came in with his laptop under warranty. He said the display was broken. The LCD was clearly broken/cracked, even the hinge was out of the plastic. He spent 2 hours discussing with me that the laptop wasnt hit and it broked just like that, staying on his desk during the night when it was obvious for any racional human that the laptop suffered a hit.

The bent iPhone sound to me the same. It was in my pocket and when I got it out it was like that...yeah, right!


Under normal usage, my ass!

I dont belive that the whole structure of the phone bented just like that. Some people just treat their stuff like animals, thats the truth.

Is is posible that there may be some defective units? Sure, hundred or thousand, but not all.

Last edited by nikaru; Jul 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
nikaru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #237
HidingAmatanth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
If it was all abuse of the phone, how in the world is everyone bending it in the exact same place with the same "impact mark"?

I had a bent phone too. It came out of the box that way. I hadn't even removed the plastic on the phone or turned it on. So I did nothing to the thing that would cause it to bend.

I'm not saying it is all "spontaneous" or "just happened". Clearly, there is a cause behind it. But is the cause due to user abuse or design flaw/very poor QC in the production of the shell?

If it were just few incidents like this, then yes it would be more than possible to chalk it all up to user abuse or just wanting attention. However, not this many cases.

And Apple does seem to be replacing them now under the warranty. Why would they if it wasn't a flaw?

ajt1995 My advice would be; go in if you are in the area (but make an appointment first) and see what they say. You don't have to swap it out for $49 and a strike even if that is what they say in the end. You are still free to leave with the phone you came in with.

And before someone jumps on my join date, I know I am a new poster. I have been a lurker off and on for a couple of years now. I just never felt the need to post anything until recently.
HidingAmatanth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #238
ajt1995
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingAmatanth View Post
If it was all abuse of the phone, how in the world is everyone bending it in the exact same place with the same "impact mark"?

I had a bent phone too. It came out of the box that way. I hadn't even removed the plastic on the phone or turned it on. So I did nothing to the thing that would cause it to bend.

I'm not saying it is all "spontaneous" or "just happened". Clearly, there is a cause behind it. But is the cause due to user abuse or design flaw/very poor QC in the production of the shell?

If it were just few incidents like this, then yes it would be more than possible to chalk it all up to user abuse or just wanting attention. However, not this many cases.

And Apple does seem to be replacing them now under the warranty. Why would they if it wasn't a flaw?

ajt1995 My advice would be; go in if you are in the area (but make an appointment first) and see what they say. You don't have to swap it out for $49 and a strike even if that is what they say in the end. You are still free to leave with the phone you came in with.

And before someone jumps on my join date, I know I am a new poster. I have been a lurker off and on for a couple of years now. I just never felt the need to post anything until recently.
Thanks! But, I can live with it for now. Actually, last night or drove my OCD to insane levels and I just forced the phone to go straight, little by little until it matched my dad's.

The aluminum above the volume button cracked, but its okay, the phone doesn't feel curved anymore. I'll save the AppleCare until my phone is *so* bad I can't stand it. (I work on fiberglass crew, we repair watersides, something is bound to go wrong eventually)
ajt1995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:35 AM   #239
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030
 
ReallyBigFeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Skip the Genius bar, go find this kid...problem solved.

__________________
13.3" MBA 15" MBP Retina Verizon iPhone 5 32gb iPad 3 64g WiFi
ReallyBigFeet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #240
TomasLomba
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
My iphone five bent exactly in the same way and has the same crack, do you know what i dod? I bent it back to its original shape, its better no but not perfect though...
TomasLomba is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bent iPhone 5! Ryan Burgess iPhone 131 Nov 6, 2013 08:07 AM
Another Bent iPhone velibor iPhone 27 Jun 24, 2013 07:22 AM
I bent my iPhone 5 iapplelove iPhone 54 Jun 21, 2013 06:16 AM
Bent iPhone 5 Aaronneil iPhone 70 Jan 27, 2013 05:28 PM
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is bent? Myiphone7 iPhone 109 Nov 1, 2012 12:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC