Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hi

I am having what seems to be a very serious problem with my imac and cant find any similar stories online so hopefully someone here can help.

I have 20.5" intel core 2 duo imac (2007-2008 I think). I have had no issues at all and suddenly today the screen had a strange moment with a flash of coloured squares/interference then froze so I had to hard reset.

The mac rebooted ok but on after selecting user and logging in the same happened again.

Now I have a badly flickering grey boot screen which eventually just goes to solid blue. Sometimes the mouse pointer appears and works fine with no interuption from the static.

I am not able to boot safe mode or from a disc.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Here are some pics of the macs screen issue.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your iMac is showing the symptoms of a bad logic board and/or GPU. A trip to an authorized Apple repair shop may be in order.

sk8chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Any idea how much repairs would cost? my applecare has ran out and I was hoping to by a new imac this year but this one has all my work on it foolishly not backed up.

Maybe a stupid question but is there anyway to salvage data from the hard drive without repairs?

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Any idea how much repairs would cost? my applecare has ran out and I was hoping to by a new imac this year but this one has all my work on it foolishly not backed up.

Maybe a stupid question but is there anyway to salvage data from the hard drive without repairs?

Logic board replacement is steep. Not worth doing if you plan on getting a new computer. Some shops may actually repair the board which is cheaper of course. But those shops are sometimes not easy to find.

The hard drive and your data are completely salvageable. Just remove the hard drive from the iMac and install it in an external enclosure or docking station.

sk8chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Well that's some good news. Any particular type of enclosure needed to work with the mac hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.