Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I had a Windows 7 partition and then updated Lion via Software Update 10.7.3. Now I can't boot into Windows 7. The screen simply goes black. I tried recreating the partition, and reinstalling Windows 7 but the same thing happens.

I shouldn't have updated.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I had a Windows 7 partition and then updated Lion via Software Update 10.7.3. Now I can't boot into Windows 7. The screen simply goes black. I tried recreating the partition, and reinstalling Windows 7 but the same thing happens.

I shouldn't have updated.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Update:

I deleted and recreated the bootcamp partition and the machine still goes to a black screen. I see the cursor flash once and then the screen goes black although it's still on. Nothing happens, even after 10 minutes.

Cursed Lion. Reformatted using disk utility from Snow Leopard disk and reinstalled Snow Leopard. Used boot camp assistant to create an 80 GB partition and rebooted with Windows 7 DVD (same one I used before). Still same problem. The machine tries to boot from the DVD, the cursor flashes once, then goes black/blank. The Windows XP disk does the same thing.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
they can't afford to check their updates better at apple or to work on their core os, they are too busy suing every tech company in the world. Also it's not as if they have enough money in the bank that they could buy a few african and meditarrenean countries today, so they can't afford to hire a few devs... :rolleyes:

sorry for not being able to be of anymore help, I would help if I could, I hope you find a way around your problem or someone with said bug can assist you. :)

Last edited:

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
well mine after the efi update on my macbook pro 13 my bootcamp partition sometimes boots. i hold down option/alt i chose my windows partition it locks up or it boots you can never tell.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Im so pissed at myself for upgrading to Lion. There really is no "must have" feature for me, except being able to set a reminder on birthdays lol. iCloud doesnt do a thing for me as I usually have to connect my iPhone to the computer to charge anyway. im not a fan of making my mac more like an ios device. It's really not necessary. Oh and i love spending all that time downloading the OS each time i need to restore. How convenient.

So no bootcamp thus no Skyrim for me which is pretty much $70 down the drain. Boohoo.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I'm surprised there is no previous record of this.

I've been searching for a solution for days and it's surprising that this hasn't happened to anyone else.

The fact that the original Windows install broke right after an update leads me to believe that there was an firmware update and it broke my Windows 7 install.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to downgrade my EFI.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Solved

After hours of searching I found the solution. It seems that you cannot install Windows via Boot Camp if you have an MCE Optibay (second hard drive) installed in place of the optical drive, even though I originally installed Windows with the second hard drive installed. After I updated Lion, it wouldn't work any more. So I pulled out the second hard drive, put the original superdrive back in, and installed without a problem. Once the install was done, I pulled the optical drive out, replaced it with the hard drive and it's still currently working. Weird.

So if you have a second hard drive installed in place of the optical drive, you might have problems installing Windows via Boot Camp.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
After hours of searching I found the solution. It seems that you cannot install Windows via Boot Camp if you have an MCE Optibay (second hard drive) installed in place of the optical drive, even though I originally installed Windows with the second hard drive installed. After I updated Lion, it wouldn't work any more. So I pulled out the second hard drive, put the original superdrive back in, and installed without a problem. Once the install was done, I pulled the optical drive out, replaced it with the hard drive and it's still currently working. Weird.

So if you have a second hard drive installed in place of the optical drive, you might have problems installing Windows via Boot Camp.

I have my original optical drive in place and I am having this issue. After restarting SEVERAL times I finally got into the windows installer, then as soon as I clicked format on the bootcamp partition it went black again and wouldn't come back!!! WTF is going on??? I have installed Win7 on all my macs many many many many times!!! I know what I'm doing!!!

This started for me yesterday. I decided to partition my main SSD to install Mountain Lion Beta to test it. It started up and just kept restarting finder. So, seeing that its too buggy to even run I deleted the partition. Which corrupted my bootcamp install. So I went to reinstall and I get this damn black screen!!!!

Is it possible that Mountain Lion screwed up my EFI??? If so, how do I fix this??? I really need to get windows back on this system!

Anyone that knows how to fix this PLEASE HELP!!!

BTW, I've had no problem with Boot Camp in Lion at all, since day one! I've installed it several times on several macs already. This is a brand new problem for me.

This is obviously a weird firmware problem with communicating to the graphics card. Has anyone had success setting up boot camp using parallels?

eairlie

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Gentlefury, don't know if you've fixed this yet or not, but given the time i assume you have.
i suggest completely wiping your computer, so getting rid of all your partitions, making sure all the original hardware is in place, then getting rid of your current Mac OS, after backing up your files of course. then, re-install your Mac OS, and then try running bootcamp. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.