Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Needing to upgrade the computer.

• Graphic designer by trade (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Acroboat, Cinema4D, modo)
  • Freelance Illustrator (Photoshop, Painter, modo, Zbrush)
  • Hobbiest GoPro 2.7k 30fps video editor (Premier, After Effects)

• Don't want the AIO iMac because I am against having to upgrade a great screen each time I upgrade the computer and heating issues.
  • I was reading up a lot about the new minis last night but not entirely convinced because of the GPU and heat issues.
  • The current mini seems to be faster than the Current Mac Pro...
  • Don't need portability

This pretty much points to a PC right? I mean all the software I use is multi platform and I can use Windows just fine.

Thoughts?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The motivation to go either way would come down to user experience. For me, that is better with OSX and Apple hardware.

If you do go with Apple, I would look at the Macbook Pro. I am a designer myself and though my machine is usually purposed as a desktop, I like having the option of taking it to the occasional meeting. With the advent of quad core processors and increased RAM capacity, the MBP is a good workstation replacement capable of tackling 95% of the tasks of our profession.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.