Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Hey folks,
I have a box set by the band Genesis that features 5 DVDs with 5.1 DTS mixes of their albums from '76-82.

I'd like to be able to play them on my home theater, which means from my iTunes library to my AppleTV (3rd Gen) and out via optical.

I have Handbrake and use it regularly.
My question is:
Is there a specific way I should rip these files, different from normal DVDs, so they play nice with my AppleTV?

Thanks for the help.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hey folks,
I have a box set by the band Genesis that features 5 DVDs with 5.1 DTS mixes of their albums from '76-82.

I'd like to be able to play them on my home theater, which means from my iTunes library to my AppleTV (3rd Gen) and out via optical.

I have Handbrake and use it regularly.
My question is:
Is there a specific way I should rip these files, different from normal DVDs, so they play nice with my AppleTV?

Thanks for the help.
No DTS for the aTV. In HB, on the audio tab, set your first track to AAC Dolby Pro Logic. Set your second track to:

Track: DTS (or DTS-HD whichever you have)
Codec: ffmpeg
Mixdown: 6-channel discrete.

This setup will convert the DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1

Also, if you use the aTV preset, I think it will set all that automatically, but check.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
thank you sir!
the biggest thing I was concerned about was HB compressing the audio.
I didn't want to go from lossless to lossy.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I also have these Genesis box sets and have ripped them to play through the Apple TV. I would use the 5.1 Dolby Digital track on the discs (set handbrake to pass thru on this track) instead of converting the DTS tracks - this way you are getting a bit for bit replication.
I know 5.1 DD isn't as good as 5.1 DTS but as mic j states the Apple TV doesn't do DTS and a bit for bit rip of DD would be better than a DTS conversion.

Just to say both the DTS & DD tracks on these discs are lossy, there is no DTS-MA track.

Cheers

Last edited:

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
thank you sir!
the biggest thing I was concerned about was HB compressing the audio.
I didn't want to go from lossless to lossy.

HB will compress your audio if you are going through your ATV. This is unavoidable if you want to use iTunes and home sharing.

Also, DTS is technically still lossy audio (unless you have a DTS-MA track). These aren't on DVDs ever, and have only recently become standard on Blu Ray. They are also between 1GB and 3GB in size per hour dependent on the actual source.

Last edited:

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I also have these Genesis box sets and have ripped them to play through the Apple TV. I would use the 5.1 Dolby Digital track on the discs (set handbrake to pass thru on this track) instead of converting the DTS tracks - this way you are getting a bit for bit replication.
I know 5.1 DD isn't as good as 5.1 DTS but as mic j states the Apple TV doesn't do DTS and a bit for bit rip of DD would be better than a DTS conversion.

Just to say both the DTS & DD tracks on these discs are lossy, there is no DTS-MA track.

Cheers

This is definitely the better way to go. Compression always ends up with a degradation of quality. Since the DTS track is already compressed from the master once, compressing it again will end up with a worse quality track than passing thru the DD track in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.