Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 24, 2013, 02:07 PM   #51
thanoulas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
Is it your intention that the reviews are primarily a place to review how the game performs with Barrel/Wine? Is that an appropriate place to list added steps for trouble free installation? I wasn't sure if they were meant to review the game itself or how the game runs with Barrel.
Well, the reviews should show the general experience the user had playing the game on his Mac. So I wouldn't expect to see a good review if the game had 5 FPS, but if a game performed well, it would make sense that a user would rate it 5 stars and comment on what a good game it was, if you understand what I mean. Both are acceptable.

Quote:
I'll hold off on a review (do those upload yet?) until I hear from you about the best way to communicate the info I'm talking about here for other users.
Yes, they do upload fine. There is just no interface for showing them yet.

Quote:
I did upload the wrapper. I keep forgetting the term you use for them! I'll remember eventually... Creating the account and doing that worked fine. I noticed some options there but I don't see how to get back to them now. It seems like once you upload the option to do so and the rest that goes with it disappears? I forget now what options I saw there with the login. Maybe they only apply when there doing that?
"Recipes", as the wrapper is not actually uploaded anywhere. Just information on how you made it run. You can go to the preferences by going to the application's menu at the top and clicking "Barrel > Preferences"

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
The only thing I had to do before running it, it was to install via winetricks the dx9. Which brings me to my question: The game's installer offered the option to install dx9 included in the game media, but I didn't check it during install. Do you recommend (generally) to choose the dx9 bundled in the game's media or is it better to skip it and install it via winetricks ?
Thanks a lot! You should generally avoid installing the native windows directx libraries, if possible. A game will generally perform better with wine's internal .dll's if they successfully work. Of course, if the game doesn't work with wine's libraries, you should then try native ones.
thanoulas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:10 PM   #52
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanoulas View Post
System specs? Any chance you have an ATI graphics card?
MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2010
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Odd thing is that the cut scene which is rendered with the game engine, worked beautifully.

Update : Also tried it with TF2 and that played kinda poorly as well. About 80% of the normal OSX TF2.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle

Last edited by CylonGlitch; Aug 24, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 09:18 PM   #53
thanoulas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2010
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Odd thing is that the cut scene which is rendered with the game engine, worked beautifully.

Update : Also tried it with TF2 and that played kinda poorly as well. About 80% of the normal OSX TF2.
Unfortunately, our graphics cards (I've got the same mbp) are not exactly cut-out for gaming. Just make sure you don't install directx during the installation. If you don't have a choice and the game automatically installs this for you, go to Advanced Settings > Winetricks > Settings, select alldlls=builtin and run winetricks, and take it from there. And, do lower your graphics settings, wine's 3d performance is normally lower than either native windows or native mac applications
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:26 PM   #54
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Unfortunately, our graphics cards (I've got the same mbp) are not exactly cut-out for gaming. Just make sure you don't install directx during the installation. If you don't have a choice and the game automatically installs this for you, go to Advanced Settings > Winetricks > Settings, select alldlls=builtin and run winetricks, and take it from there. And, do lower your graphics settings, wine's 3d performance is normally lower than either native windows or native mac applications
Tried that and now it starts to launch and then gives me a quick white screen and back to Steam. Yes, it did install direct-x, I'm sure of that. I'll look at WineHQ and see if I can figure out some settings to make it work.
MRoogle
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:31 AM   #55
thanoulas
macrumors newbie

Barrel updated

Barrel 0.9 Beta 6 is now available! With Wineskin/Cider/Native support! Put all your games in one place!

New Features:
  • Your games are no longer organised in genres. They were dropped in favour of multiple bundle type support! Which means...
  • Barrel now supports Wineskin, Cider and Native bundles! All your games in one place!
  • The new bundle types also have their own icons in the sidebar now!
  • Launch the Wineskin config tool from within Barrel
  • You can now change the active Wine engine in a bundle!
  • NOTICE!!!! Please close and restart Barrel after the update! It is important so that your library is properly converted!
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed a bug that would cause Barrel to stay unresponsive when cancelling an import and starting a new one
  • Fixed a bug that wouldn't allow the Wine engines to be cached locally
  • Fixed a conflict on macs that also had OpenEmu installed
  • Other minor bugfixes and speed impovements
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #56
Paulyboy
macrumors 6502

Is there a way to get a game working with Barrel without the installation executable? I have a few games already installed on my computer in Wine wrappers that no longer work and thought I could get them to work again with Barrel. Could I remove the games from their respective wrappers and then just use them with Barrel somehow?

Great app by the way and keep up the good work!

-PN
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:55 PM   #57
thanoulas
macrumors newbie

What kind of wrappers are they? I plan on adding support to convert wineskin wrappers to Barrel.

You could also try creating an empty wrapper, then moving the game's directory inside Barrel's program files. Then point the executable to the game's executable and give it a try!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #58
Paulyboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What kind of wrappers are they? I plan on adding support to convert wineskin wrappers to Barrel.

You could also try creating an empty wrapper, then moving the game's directory inside Barrel's program files. Then point the executable to the game's executable and give it a try!
I think they are Wineskin wrappers. I will give that a try when I get a chance and report back here. Thanks.

-PN
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:43 AM   #59
atarria
macrumors member

about RIFT in Barrel

The Rift's hardware detector meets a fatal error.

It is possible to put Rift into Barrel but when it runs there is a graphics error asking for an update to the AMD driver. The screen remains black while music plays.

So close, but yet so far away.
atarria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 04:56 AM   #60
thanoulas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarria View Post
The Rift's hardware detector meets a fatal error.

It is possible to put Rift into Barrel but when it runs there is a graphics error asking for an update to the AMD driver. The screen remains black while music plays.

So close, but yet so far away.
As per wine's AppDb, (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=22884) have you tried installing vcrun2008 and d3dx9 in winetricks?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:18 AM   #61
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Can someone write an idiots guide to installing ps2 please.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:38 AM   #62
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Can someone write an idiots guide to installing ps2 please.
For those of us who don't know, what's "ps2"? When I see that I think of Sony's PlayStation 2.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:43 AM   #63
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
For those of us who don't know, what's "ps2"? When I see that I think of Sony's PlayStation 2.
Planet side 2
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:43 AM   #64
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
You mean it's not?
MRoogle
Old Nov 19, 2013, 05:23 AM   #65
Boobsandbacon
macrumors newbie

Thanks for this app, hoping it will get better in due time. I'm just having problems installing games. When I install it either fails or it does install but nothing shows up. I'm on the latest version as of November 19th
Boobsandbacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:36 AM   #66
pastrychef
macrumors 68020

@ thanoulas:

Wow. This looks like a brilliant app. I look forward to trying it out soon and want to say thanks!!
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣
pastrychef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 03:45 AM   #67
moondynejoe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobsandbacon View Post
Thanks for this app, hoping it will get better in due time. I'm just having problems installing games. When I install it either fails or it does install but nothing shows up. I'm on the latest version as of November 19th
I am having a similar problem i installed raptor (from gog) and it seemed to go ok but nothing is showing up in the library. I also dragged and dropped a few native games but they dont show up either but hey went somewhere because they arent in my app folder anymore. Am i missing something obvious?

In any case this is a great idea and i am looking forward to seeing it elvolve.

Ps. I am using mavericks on a 27" imac with i7 and 680mx in case that info is useful.
moondynejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:04 AM   #68
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

I tried Barrel last night, but what I was trying to port in were GOG downloads, which really don't seem to fit the model of disk image or EXE, but rather a collection of installer files. Is there something else I should do, like maybe make an .ISO of the installer files before dropping it into Barrel?
Lord Hamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2013, 01:49 PM   #69
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

Still no dice with GOG downloads (trying Neverwinter Nights as my test application) - I point Barrel to the installer .exe (with the .bin files in the same folder) and I get a message to the effect of no application files to install found.

Also, a second issue - I got a handful of PopCap games to install and run using the manual settings (specifically, using the NoFlicker engine) but when I copy the generated applications to my Applications folder, other accounts on the same machine see them, but they don't work when launched from those accounts. Maybe a permissions issue of some sort?
Lord Hamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store